Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Feasts of The Citadell of Oradea
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Feasts of The Citadell of Oradea Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Today I went to the Citadell (or fortress) of Oradea at my home town, Oradea (Romania), where yesterday, today and tomorrow will be held the Feasts of the Fortress of Oradea. My attention was mostly caught by the audience and people than the shows and representations. Here are some pics I made today. I hope you'll like some of them.

Attention: there are many of them !

Audience

(C) Cosmin_M

Some kids

(C) Cosmin_M

Audience again

(C) Cosmin_M

Admirers

(C) Cosmin_M

Warriors

(C) Cosmin_M

Warrior

(C) Cosmin_M

Angel

(C) Cosmin_M

Proud knight

(C) Cosmin_M

Little girl and her daddy (I suppose)

(C) Cosmin_M

Another knight

(C) Cosmin_M

Another cute little girl

(C) Cosmin_M

Medieval music concert

(C) Cosmin_M

Three "CANIKON" musketeers Smile

(C) Cosmin_M

Shields

(C) Cosmin_M

Family and popcorn

(C) Cosmin_M

Little girl with two little dolls

(C) Cosmin_M

Kurtos kalacs (sorry, I don't know its english name) - only this with Pentax-DA 18-55

(C) Cosmin_M

...and again, a cute little girl woth her daddy, of course (I think)

(C) Cosmin_M

Some data about the citadell: http://www.cetateaoradea.ro/index.php?lang=en

I used Pentax K100D with Pentax-FA 100-300 lens with one exception (see explanation after the image's name).

Cosmin.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little girl with two little dolls I like this one ,really good capture.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and thank you.

One of these pictures in black and white. I think its better like this:

(C) Cosmin_M

All the best.

Cosmin.

PS. Unfortunately in this kind of photography I do not have, I believe, enough experience yet, to make a really good composition. I'm in a hurry to catch the moment and forget about the composition as a whole (the entire picture). Hope that with time (and experience) I'll improve.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:

PS. Unfortunately in this kind of photography I do not have, I believe, enough experience yet, to make a really good composition. I'm in a hurry to catch the moment and forget about the composition as a whole (the entire picture). Hope that with time (and experience) I'll improve.

It is a very difficult genre of photography, especially with manual focus lenses.
I have made quite some experience of the genre and I have made some good pictures from street parades and festivals. But I still take a lot of misses.
I have to shoot 200-300 photos per day in order to get 20-30 good ones. My rate is 10%.

The first step to improve is to be very critical in understanding what should not be done and you are already on the right way for improvement, because you have correctly understood that you need to take more care of the composition.
Composing well a photograph in the middle of a street festival can be from very hard to impossible.
I have come to the conclusion that while perfection is impossible, there are some mistakes that are acceptable and some that are not.

To take your pics as example, the photo of the girl with the two dolls is mistaken, because you have cut the legs - a vertical format would have ben a better choice - but the mistake is acceptable because the subject is very intense, so the force of the photo remains.
You could perhaps crop the image to leave out a part of the right empty ground to help concentrate attention on the girl, but that's another story.

Examples of mistakes that instead are not acceptable (in my opinion, of course, I am speaking subjectively), are those of picture "Angel" and of picture "Canikon".

Picture "Angel" has a prominent blurred head in the foreground. I get this type of photo many times, it's unavoidable when you are in the crowd. When I get this type of photo, they always end in the trash bin, unless the good part is so good, that it deserves a super crop to save it. In the case of Angel, the crop is impossible, because the head covers part of the girl.

Picture "Canikon" also displays a typical mistake of street snapshots, the cutting off of the heads of the subjects. Here you have less excuses, because you probably had more chances to compose the picture better than with "Angel".
I understand that the subject were the cameras not the people, but in this case you should have done a closeup of the cameras. SO either a detail of the cameras, or the whole people heads included, but not this half-way. When I get this kind of mistake, I trash the photograph.

The Kurtos image also could have benefit from a better framing, I would have preferred to lose a part of the tenth above (you always understand it's a tenth", but have the feet of the people not cut off.

I hope I do not sound too critical - I am far from perfect myself, and make a lot of these mistakes. So I do not want to ofeer myself as teacher here - just as someone who has shot quite a number of these street events and learned something from experience Smile

A few "secrets" that I have for street parades and festival photography:

- I come with two cameras at my neck, one loaded with a wideangle the other with a tele, and I am ready to switch from one to the other in a couple of seconds.

- when I pick a subject that I like, I take some photos in sequence, adjusting details as I shoot on. Example: I see the Kurtos stand, I take a picture immediately in order not to miss the moment, and while I am taking the first picture, I notice that I am cutting the feet of the person, so I recompose and immediately take a second one and a third one maybe adjusting the inclination of camera etc. or maybe I feel someone has entered the frame and cover something important, so I take a fourth one etc. The key is to be very fast to react and take several pictures in 3-4 seconds. You augment a lot the chances to get a good one

- crop is our friend - I have given up the hope of ending always with a perfect original frame composition. I crop a lot. I recompose on the made picture until I have gotten the best out of each shot. Of course, here the number of megapixels in a camera helps a lot. With the 400D, and even more so with the 5D, I can crop a lot more than I could with the 300D. Six megapixels are really tight for street photography, you can not, for instance, take a horizontal picture, then crop out of it a vertical person, because you end up with a postage stamp sized photo. So the more megapixels you can afford, the better. Actually, it's a lot better to shoot with film than with a small megapixels camera, because with good film and a good scanner, you can crop before scanning, and get optimal resolution even for details.

I hope this helps somehow. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Hello,

WOW Orio, thank you very much for your compresensive and detailed explanations. I've got a film too, from that event. I'll see what I can do with it. I , hope that next I shall improve my skills. Unfortunately I shall have to turn a much bigger attention to the initial composition, because the K100D has only 6Mpx or go with film. But here too, the scanning is made by the lab so I'll just ask them to scan it to a bigger resolution (if they can).
I cropped only this picture "Another cute little girl " from those above.

Thany you again, very much.

All the best.

Cosmin.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:
Hello,
Thany you again, very much
Cosmin.

You're welcome. Street photography is one of my passions Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Here we go with the second round - on film this time (Porst Reflex TL M42 camera loaded with Kodak Gold 200):

Archer, posing

(C) Cosmin_M

Porst MC 2.8/135

Archers

(C) Cosmin_M

Porst MC 2.8/135

Little archer

(C) Cosmin_M

Porst MC 2.8/135

Modern archer

(C) Cosmin_M

Porst MC 2.8/135