Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Industar-50-2 50mm f/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Industar-50-2 50mm f/3.5 Reply with quote

"Serious" looking little lens with excellent image quality, click on the lens and see the colors and sharpness.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one, but my copy has a small crack in an inner glass (thanks to "Gold-Camera" the Tcheck seller who advertised the lens as perfect), so perhaps I am not getting the best that I could from this model.

Finding one within the EU is very difficult.

The lens is a copy of the famous Carl Zeiss Tessar pre-war lens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In August I will give you good one I have at least three four copies. Almost nobody knows here what a great lens. I bought them on flea market from 2 EUR to 4 EU. This is a shame , this lens much more valuable than many "modern" garbage.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I also have got one of those.
I just bought it, because I thought it would look hilarious at my EOS.
But then I realized that it shows a surprisingly good performance!

I would never give it away again.

Carsten

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very different lens. Although compact and great in quality.. but some weakness, which makes this lens little on the lower side in my lens bag..

Weirdly, the lens losses the sharpness from the center (towards the sharpness).. and its not loss in sharpness, but the lens shows different optical properties.. like haziness... I think, that used to be very common in low end lenses, and still it is...
(Some results.. captured last fall..)
Captured with canon 350D, INDUSTAR-50-2 50mm f3.5 @3.5 with parameter setting-1 and captured jpeg directly.
(little crop and very little enhanced saturation as well as sharpening with Picture window pro after resizing)

100% crops, (very little saturation enhancement)

100% crops,(very little saturation enhancement)

Big -ve point with this lens: The aperture setting is in the front. And when you rotate that, the focusing mechanism also rotates. May be its my piece, which has hard aperture ring. (This forces me to use only at 3.5, unless I am using infinity dist focusing)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually this lens is a copy of a Zeiss Tessar design.

This is what it looks like at a 350D with battery grip. Shocked Laughing

Carsten

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Ballu:

Like all Tessars, this lens too needs to be stopped down in order to deliver a good performance.
You should use this lens always at f/8.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the newer M42 version of the very first lens I ever owned in 1964 - a silver M39 version with a black lens ring, on a little Zenit 3M camera.

This scan of an old Kodachrome slide (no PS except sizing) is from that time. Even then I loved the colours this lens produced, and like now I never use any filters. It would be great to own another one - I think I will set up a search right now Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Finding one within the EU is very difficult.

In germany we have obviously more luck. I saw this lens very often as "free give aways" - they are often sold with crappy Zenit E or B for a few euros. After I first screwed it on our Canon, Yvonne cried "iiiiiih, take this away from our beautiful cam!" Did I mention that I like this lens very much... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Unfortunately the images from my lens couldn't keep up with Peters beautiful sample. The previous owner has cleaned the lens to much, more scratches than glass. The results are lacking of contrast and I have to do much PS-work to rescue them. But I think I will get a new one next days, I need another Zenit B. Very Happy

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Unfortunately the images from my lens couldn't keep up with Peters beautiful sample. The previous owner has cleaned the lens to much, more scratches than glass.

This is common problem wit low respected lenses, owners are not take care like expensive stuff. Pretty sad and hard to find quality pieces from this kind of lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:
This is very different lens. Although compact and great in quality.. but some weakness, which makes this lens little on the lower side in my lens bag..

Weirdly, the lens losses the sharpness from the center (towards the sharpness).. and its not loss in sharpness, but the lens shows different optical properties.. like haziness... I think, that used to be very common in low end lenses, and still it is...

Big -ve point with this lens: The aperture setting is in the front. And when you rotate that, the focusing mechanism also rotates. May be its my piece, which has hard aperture ring. (This forces me to use only at 3.5, unless I am using infinity dist focusing)

I would say the the results you are showing are caused by Flare. the centre of your example shows it and it will seriously affect sharpness. Also using it wide open doesn't help. Many of the old Russian lenses suffer from serious flare problems. under certain conditions, your subject with the strong reflective red is one that would get most of them. Used in more normal lighting situations and you may never see the problem.

Re your aperture setting problem Why not set the lens to f5.6 before focusing or even mounting on the camera?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:

This has got to be a fault Ballu. Either the focus ring is too loose or the aperture setting is too stiff (maybe both!). When you consider about the flare problems too, it sounds very much as though your lens (like my Jupiter-21) is a lemon that someone has been trying to tinker with.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Ballu wrote:

This has got to be a fault Ballu. Either the focus ring is too loose or the aperture setting is too stiff (maybe both!). When you consider about the flare problems too, it sounds very much as though your lens (like my Jupiter-21) is a lemon that someone has been trying to tinker with.

Yes, the tight aperture and loose focussing ring is an issue.. and I think really common (on other forum also people discussing same). Thats not a big problem to me, as I usually use the lens below f5.6.
I dont have flare issue at all.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:

Yes, the tight aperture and loose focussing ring is an issue.. and I think really common (on other forum also people discussing same). Thats not a big problem to me, as I usually use the lens below f5.6.
I dont have flare issue at all.

The Express sign is showing lots of flair. That is why the centre (flared area) is soft. This is internal lens flare

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got this little gem few days ago and i love it, played with it a little and i love what i get from it in macro department

taken handheld with industar 50-2 + pentacon macro tubes

Last edited by WolverineX on Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
just got this little gem few days ago and i love it, played with it a little and i love what i get from it in macro department

taken handheld with industar 50-2 + pentacon macro tubes

I was playing with my copy of this lens today. The film is drying as I type. I adore that little lens Very Happy

Welcome! Nice entry! Thank you for joining us!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Welcome! Nice entry! Thank you for joining us!

thank you! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

industar 50-2 is funny for macro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poilu, that is an incredible shot! Well done!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I think it was reverse mount right ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Shrek!
Attila wrote:
I think it was reverse mount right ?

No, it was with this russian bellow fully extended

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty incredible ! I didn't expect this magnification ratio Shocked Thanks!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu

I don't like macro very much, but your pic is fantastic!!!

Not excesive, a real portrait of the fly.