Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 20mm f/3.8 M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 20mm f/3.8 M42 Reply with quote

Got the lens today for the enormous sum of... 15 euros.

I compared it with Pentax's kit lens (18-55mm version 1) with the Vivitar 20mm f/3.8, both at f/8:

SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm @ 20mm f/8:

Vivitar 20mm f/3.8 @ f/8:

Conclusion: the 20mm Vivitar is not so good at the corners (CA). The Kit lens has a better contrast too. But then the Vivitar is FF, the Kit lens isn't. Still not bad for 15 euros. Would be fun to try this on a FF camera.

The Vivitar on the K20D:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got a very good deal. This lens usually goes for $60-100 in US ebay.

Thats the Kiron make. There is a little older Tokina-made 21/3.8 also. I think the Kiron may be better.

Thanks for comparing vs the kit lens. I have more respect for the Pentax kit lens now (I don't have one).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

Thanks for comparing vs the kit lens. I have more respect for the Pentax kit lens now (I don't have one).

So you don't know how good it really is. On Dpreview it was touted as the best kit lens of all brands. And the II version (bundled with the K20D) is even better.

A message to everyone planning to buy a Pentax dSLR: by all means get the kit lens! It's very good and super cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering whether I should pick up one of these kit lenses.

Its a big question for me, because although they are cheap, as Pentax-brand AF lenses go, its still expensive compared to collectible lenses. and I am not collecting AF lenses. I am mostly just collecting lenses after all.

Photographically speaking, my shortest FL is a Vivitar 19mm, which seems to be very close to 18mm, which makes the kit lens seem redundant. I would be willing to spend money to go really wide, with my next DSLR, maybe the cheap Pentax 10-17mm Fisheye.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the kit lens, but I have the 16-45 f4 (constant) ED aspherical.

For giggles, I mounted it on a $13 P3 film body which I got on ebay. Guess what... even without an aperture ring, it works! albeit only in program mode, and there is no aperture display in the viewfinder. And of course it's manual focus.

Above around 21mm, there is no vignetting. Of course at 16mm there is lots of vignetting (looks like something out of a Lomo).

Haven't had the film processed yet but to tell the truth having a "real" 21mm perspective is huge fun! (at 16mm on the K10D it's only equivalent to a 24.5mm on FF).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For giggles, I mounted it on a $13 P3 film body which I got on ebay. Guess what... even without an aperture ring, it works! albeit only in program mode, and there is no aperture display in the viewfinder. And of course it's manual focus.

Seriously, I bought the 16-45/4 before I ever had a dSLR. I use/d it with a ZX-10 and a Program Plus, in program mode. And I think it's a better lens on film than on digital. I use it a lot in this way.

I'd suspect the kit lens would shine on film as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That kit lens looks really good.

Anyway, back to the real subject. That Vivitar looks ok, but the thing I noticed is how the contrast and saturation is lacking. If using on digital a tweak in PP would probably make it look as good as any other.

Thanks for sharing. I'm after a WA/UWA in M42 mount.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, great deal, I like your pictures.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I thought that the Vivitar was a little sharper in the center than the kit lens, but I'll check tonight. Unfortunately, I have to work overtime today Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Vivitar 20mm f/3.8 M42 Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Got the lens today for the enormous sum of... 15 euros.

I got it yesterday for the sum of 9,20 € Smile

Lucky me also had a working Minolta 700 AF Body to use the lense on.

Compared to other ultra wides its a perfect bargain.

Now i cant wait to see the performance of my "mega cheap ultra wide" Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: A quick question Reply with quote

Thanks for this post... I have a version of this lens that I feel it a bit lacking in contrast and mine requires some series stopping down to sharpen up... I also have the pentax kit verII, and for a kit lens it is worth the little extra it cost me in the package deal. I dont really use it, but I would trust it if I did.

But something if bugging me about the test shots. In the reflection above the plants on the left side of the pic... in the kit lens shot there appears to be a brick wall, but in the vivi shot it is all smooth there with no hint of bricks.
My old mind can't figure out what is happening exactly... can you clear it up?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: A quick question Reply with quote

Gus Helios wrote:
But something if bugging me about the test shots. In the reflection above the plants on the left side of the pic... in the kit lens shot there appears to be a brick wall, but in the vivi shot it is all smooth there with no hint of bricks.
My old mind can't figure out what is happening exactly... can you clear it up?

Yes! I did not notice it at all, but now that you mentioned it... in that exact spot, outside, there's a lamp with a sensor. I remember getting my tripod from the garage, so I walked past the lamp which then automatically switched on. After 10 minutes or so it switches itself off automatically. So in the first shot the lamp is on, in the Vivitar shot the lamp is off.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the explanation Reply with quote

I could not wrap my mind around that level of selective smoothing of details by the vivitar Smile

I am always amazed by what others see in my shots when I post them... I will PP the shot to get it how I like it, post the shot and someone will say " I like it, except for ____________." And I look and sure enough there is something there I just did not see! Then of course I can not 'not' see it... so I have to try and fix it!

The brick reflection and lack of in the second shot, pulled my minds eye right in...