Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor 105mm f1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Nikkor 105mm f1.8 Reply with quote

I am not able to do much photography from last few months.. and havent bought any gear from last 5 months... And was not planning to buy. I was browsing my fav forums (including this Wink ) in between, tried to keep my self in touch with this great world...

I already own multiple 85mm-135mm range lenses... and decided not to touch any other (and as I dont get much time for photography too).. (Some of the Lenses in this range, I own: Jupiter-9 85/2, CZJ Sonnar 85/2.8, Elmarit-R 90/2.8 Nikon Series-E 100/2.8, Nikkor-P 105/2.5 and in 135, I dont even care... as I rarely use more than 100mm FL).

Last week, I went to my local photo tools shop to buy some lens caps. The guy had Nikkor 105mm f1.8 lens. The lens focussing ring was tight (it is tight... and he told me that Nikkor 105/1.8 has this particular problem along with Nikon 55/2.8 micro). Lens is little heavy. But glass is perfect. The lens was returned by earlier owner for tight focussing ring. The lens was marked as $189. The owner gave me an offer of $100, and almost forced me to buy that (told me that difficult to get this offer).

Baseline is, without any plan, I end up coughing up $100 for Nikkor 105mm f1,8 lens with little tight focussing mechanism Its not that bad, but cant be changed fast from near to far or vice versa.

I am very surprised that we dont have any discussions and posts on this lens. To me, this lens is tak sharp even wide open. Just a great lens.

Dont know, why not many people own this lens....

I can post lot of picture with this lens, as in 2-3 days, I have captured around 50+ keepers. Its little long, but for outdoors, one of the best lens, I own.

(All wide open)

Pics at zoo..

Some Family Pics...

This lens is really keeper, and I am happy even after spending $100... Wink

Any idea, why this lens is so under-rated... or atleast, not discussed here...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Nikkor 105mm f1.8 Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:
The guy had Nikkor 105mm f1.8 lens. The lens focussing ring was tight (it is tight... and he told me that Nikkor 105/1.8 has this particular problem along with Nikon 55/2.8 micro). Lens is little heavy. But glass is perfect. The lens was returned by earlier owner for tight focussing ring. The lens was marked as $189. The owner gave me an offer of $100, and almost forced me to buy that (told me that difficult to get this offer).

Wow, that is a really good deal.

Ballu wrote:

I am very surprised that we dont have any discussions and posts on this lens. To me, this lens is tak sharp even wide open. Just a great lens.

Dont know, why not many people own this lens....

Any idea, why this lens is so under-rated... or atleast, not discussed here...

Three reasons I can think of. Firstly, because the Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 is such a really good lens, so people who have one may not see a reason to get the 1.8 or worry it could be worse. Second, because the 1.8 is larger and heavier. Third, because it normally goes for rather more than 100 USD.

If I recall, Patrickh has and likes this lens.

I would be very interested to see comparison shots between the 105/1.8, 105/2.5 (and, pretty please, the Elmarit-R 90/2.8 as well if you can spare the time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Ballu, what a wonderful colours!!

This lens is a keeper, congrats for the acquisition,

Regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic photos, looks like a really good lens. As you got such a great deal on the lens (Check out KEH pricing - $415 for a bgn/engraved, on up over $700) you don't really have to feel funny, even if $100 is $100 - because this particular $100 will turn out to be at least $300-$400 or more if you sell.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey welcome back!

+1 to your opinion ! Great samples what you made . I sold this lens becuase I found 105mm f2.5 AIS perhaps even better or same and don't need for me faster lens in this focal length.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love that rainbow lorikeet, a zoo picture? We have those little fellas belting all around the neighbourhood here.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Nikkor 105/1.8 Reply with quote

You made a good buy there ... it'll be well worth getting it overhauled. I wish there was a photo store like yours where I live - our last surviving one has discovered eBay so now everything is RARE, DESIRABLE, MINT-MINUS and worth at least 50% more than its true value !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just SINFUL!

A Nikkor 105 1.8 at $100!!!

I often see it going for 4 - 5 times that price!

Get the focusing ring fixed and enjoy it much more! IIRC, I tried one at a 2nd hand shop and while it does take some inertia to turn the ring, it wasn't what I would call restrictively tight. Sometimes, jut\st a good cleaning and proper lubricating does wonders!

ENJOY!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikkor 105mm f1.8 Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for comments and views...

@xjjohnno: Yes, captured in zoo... this part of the world doesnt have that much of beauty inb nature, or should say "colors"..

ChrisLilley wrote:

I would be very interested to see comparison shots between the 105/1.8, 105/2.5 (and, pretty please, the Elmarit-R 90/2.8 as well if you can spare the time.

I will do this test.. most probably by mid of next week... I can say, this lens is sharper than Leica (I have first version) at/around f2.8.. But Leica is more neutral and smoother... (Thats what Leica is for.. and I love my old version)..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do indeed have this lens and its sister the 135/2. I also have the 105/2,5. Frankly I think the 1,8 is a tad better, mainly because at 2,0 it is already sharper than the 2,5 wide open (no mean feat). It is also much heavier and more bulky, while still being compact for a lens of that speed/focal length. I happily mix and match the two for the most part. Even in the overstocked world of very fine 100-135mm lenses these two nikkors tand out.

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats Ballu! great lens for portraits
perfect for your beautiful family pics

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Ballu! Congrats on the new lens.
I don't think you can really go wrong with any Nikkor tele. All those that I have had or have, were excellent.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I don't think you can really go wrong with any Nikkor tele. All those that I have had or have, were excellent.

Orio, I really dislike that sort of blanket brand statement (and I shoot Nikon!).

There are clear differences between models, some are better than others overall, some have a balance of strengths and weaknesses, some are not as good as the rest. This is true in all lines from all manufacturers of course.

In this case for example the Nikkor 135mm f/2.8 is a competent performer, but not as good as the f/3.5 version and not as goodat all as the 105/2.5 (even allowing for the lower magnification fo the 105/2.5 which should produce less detail in a shot of the same subject, there is more detail in the 105/2.5 shot than in the 135/2.8 of the same object at the same distance).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
Orio wrote:

Orio, I really dislike that sort of blanket brand statement (and I shoot Nikon!).

There are clear differences between models, some are better than others overall, some have a balance of strengths and weaknesses, some are not as good as the rest. This is true in all lines from all manufacturers of course.

Ahhh, ChrisLilley,perhaps your second sentence (which I have highlighted) is rather unfair both to Orio and Nikkor lenses - he qualifies his words very properly and doesn't actually suggest that all are equal, does he? Excellence can be a relative term, after all.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:

Ahhh, ChrisLilley,perhaps your second sentence (which I have highlighted) is rather unfair both to Orio and Nikkor lenses - he qualifies his words very properly and doesn't actually suggest that all are equal, does he? Excellence can be a relative term, after all.

No, I don't think so. And I gave a specific example of a lens, which I own, which is good but really can't be described as "excellent".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How sharp is this lens...

@f1.8:

@~f4

100% crops:

@f1.8:

@~f4

(There may be a little shake too...)

Another shot wide open...

100% crop..

I dont have any problem with sharpness.... Wink
(only default sharpening in LR during RAW to JPEG conversion...)