Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bokeh using spherical aberration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Bokeh using spherical aberration Reply with quote

Some of my first photos this March, the first two on a sunny day, the rest on a cloudy one, no mist or fog on either one, just a little bit of spherical aberration at 4.5/85mm.

Note the highlight bokeh on the golden onions of the cathedral in the background:

Veijo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks as though you breathed heavily on the lens first. Is that anything to do with coating (or absence of it)?

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VPK meniscus? Cool shots.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this series very atmospheric Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice feeling to the set, and very familiar subjects as well! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting set, but to be honest I am not really a fan of these low contrast diffused shots. Again not trying to take away from your work, just not my taste.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Looks as though you breathed heavily on the lens first. Is that anything to do with coating (or absence of it)?

Coating has nothing to do with it, it is just the effect of very liberal amount of intensional spherical aberration.

Veijo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter23 wrote:
VPK meniscus? Cool shots.

No, not a meniscus, a detuned triplet. Thanks.

Veijo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
Very nice feeling to the set

Thanks. Yes, but must be used in moderation.

Veijo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cledry wrote:
Interesting set, but to be honest I am not really a fan of these low contrast diffused shots. Again not trying to take away from your work, just not my taste.

No offense taken, I know many people aren't keen on this kind of photography. Anyway, this lens is sharp enough for most real-life photography - at another setting Wink It is perhaps my most versatile lens, capable of producing anything between the above soft focus, soft bokeh shots and something like this, taken with the same lens on the same camera:

Of course, it is impossible to judge the resolution on the basis of a small image like that, you really must take a look at the original, see http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos350d_radionar_files/r2984_100.jpg. The photo is taken with an uncoated, 1938 Schneider-Kreuznach Radionar 4.5/105 without a lens shade. The soft shots were taken with the front cell adjusted to focus at 0.5m and using an external focusing mechanism, which drops the FL to something like 85mm and produces a prodigious amount of spherical aberration - of course not suitable for all targets or purposes but still useful, often when a "normal" shot would be nothing special.

It is, of course, possible to use any intermediate setting between these two extremes, which is very useful, especially for portraiture. Most of the old, fine, adjustable softness portrait lenses are definitely too long for dSLR use and also rather expensive, even on eBay. This Radionar setup is a poor man's solution for many situations, a lens which I use both on a 350D and a 5D. With some PP, softness and flare can be considerably reduced at focus, giving even more possibilities for creativity.

With a tool like this, it is necessary to take a lot of photos in order to chart the possibilities and limitations, a lot of work, a lot of waste, just like with any artist's tool. It's very educating and most certainly great fun.

Veijo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 100% crop is "jaw dropping"... impressive.