Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZJ 3.5/135 adjusted to focus infinity for f-mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: CZJ 3.5/135 adjusted to focus infinity for f-mount Reply with quote

Basically, this lens is M42 which is 1 mm register difference for F-mount camera and when we use adapter M42-Nikon, it becomes about 2 mm difference.

Fortunately, CZJ 3.5/135 have barrel thread length enough for us to re-adjust infinity focusing and reach this 2 mm difference.

I have done my lens successfully.

Last edited by Kriengsak on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you show how you did it ?

I am collecting info on this because it is also useful for adjusting Exakta-mount lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,
This is only a very brief one, not an every step by step.
Put your internal focusing barrel in this position

And your external focusing barrel in this position that you can see a bolt head at 7 o’clock and indicator pointed at infinity position

Turn external focusing barrel anti-clockwise into internal barrel from what you can see bolt head at 7 o’clock to pass the first 6 o’clock
Then one round more and exactly stop at second 6 o’clock
You can now fix 2 focusing guides.

That is all, and at the end you could see rear element hood intruding 1 mm from rear cap because the lens element was already shifted 2 mm.

Don’t dismantle you lens, if you never have done it before. It is your own risk.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Usefull. Thanks.

We can try this with others M42. We can lost close focus but minimun.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Very Usefull. Thanks.

We can try this with others M42. We can lost close focus but minimun.

Rino.

This is for CZJ sonnar 3.5/135 and to adjust for f-mount camera only.
Other M42 lens have its own mechanism and mostly impossible to shift infinity focus.
For example CZJ tessar 2.8/50, you have to drilled and fix a new crew at internal barrel at precisely new position in order to focus infinity for different mount.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be possible at least on Jupiter 37A 135/3.5 too, because I have one copy for sale, which was adjusted in similar way by its previous owner:

http://forum.mflenses.com/some-m42-lenses-for-sale-jupiter-37a-added-t14292.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
It should be possible at least on Jupiter 37A 135/3.5 too, because I have one copy for sale, which was adjusted in similar way by its previous owner:

http://forum.mflenses.com/some-m42-lenses-for-sale-jupiter-37a-added-t14292.html

Yes, exactly
becuase J 37A is the copy of CZJ sonnar 3.5/135 by Russian company after WWII

Last edited by Kriengsak on Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. But your job with the 135 is very usefull because it´s a medium to long tele, and with the teles the infinito in many times isn't in focus with the hyperfocal if you pic a near subject.

So focus infin. can be necesary.

With shorter focals the DOF can do the infin. in focus.

Thanks again. Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss Biotar 75/1.5 is another one we can adjust.

http://forum.mflenses.com/adjusting-infinity-on-zeiss-biotar-75-1-5-t11692.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we can use ours cheaps 300/400 mm in M42 over the F mount!!!

Did you think about royalties? Laughing

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kriengsak wrote:
no-X wrote:

Yes, exactly

The J37A may be an optical copy of the CZJ 3.5/35 but it's not a mechanical copy. The arrangement of the two pairs of helicoids in the two lenses is very different. I don't say that it's not possible to carry out a modification similar to the CZJ described. However it's not necessary. All you have to do is remove (3 screws) the M42 mount and replace it with an F mount which is 1 mm thinner.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
Kriengsak wrote:
no-X wrote:

Yes, exactly

The J37A may be an optical copy of the CZJ 3.5/35 but it's not a mechanical copy. The arrangement of the two pairs of helicoids in the two lenses is very different. I don't say that it's not possible to carry out a modification similar to the CZJ described. However it's not necessary. All you have to do is remove (3 screws) the M42 mount and replace it with an F mount which is 1 mm thinner.

For J-37A, I can confirm again when I receive my first J-37A which keep me waiting for 1 month and 3 weeks and still not yet arrived. Crying or Very sad

By the way, J-37A can simply replace rear mount with adapter T2-Nikon to achieve infinity.

http://forum.mflenses.com/soviet-lens-a-mount-t4491,start,15.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what will be the new closest focus point after shifting? The original for CZJ 3.5/135 is about 1m.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M42 mount of the Jupiter 37 can be unscrewed and replaced by a F mount - some Jupiters were commercialized already with this modification.

The same goes for other soviet lenses like Tair-11A

So no need to mess with helicoids Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

horvlas wrote:
And what will be the new closest focus point after shifting? The original for CZJ 3.5/135 is about 1m.

The closest adjustment can shift very deep that rear cap cannot close because spring lever protruding over mounting support.
So, turn 13 hours anticlockwise from 7 o'clock will give proper infinity focus for F-mount.
If test shot not achieve infinity yet, start at 7:30 and 13:30 hours turn anti-clock.
If test shot is over infinity, start at 6:30 and 12:30 hours turn.

This is my today test shot, the distance is around 1 km from object, so luckily I don't have to re-adjust my lens again.