Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hello and lens I.D.?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Hello and lens I.D.? Reply with quote

I came across this forum whislt trying to find out about a couple of MF lenses I have just received.

About me - from Australia, and use a pentax K20D, which I have been enjoying using for the last 6 months or so.

Anyway the two lenses that I have are a Vivitar Auto 200mm f3.5 (will this actually autofocus?) and the other one which I can not find any reference for is a Seriese 105mm f2.5 (could this be series e?), both are screw mount lenses, and both are made in Japan. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I now have to get myself a couple of adaptor rings - are the ebay rings o.k. or is it best to use genuine Pentax ones?

Cheers

Matt

Vivitar

Seriese

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Hello and lens I.D.? Reply with quote

Feldar wrote:
I came across this forum whislt trying to find out about a couple of MF lenses I have just received.

About me - from Australia, and use a pentax K20D, which I have been enjoying using for the last 6 months or so.

Anyway the two lenses that I have are a Vivitar Auto 200mm f3.5 (will this actually autofocus?) and the other one which I can not find any reference for is a Seriese 105mm f2.5 (could this be series e?), both are screw mount lenses, and both are made in Japan. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I now have to get myself a couple of adaptor rings - are the ebay rings o.k. or is it best to use genuine Pentax ones?

Cheers

Matt

Vivitar

Seriese

Welcome, and a free quote for the pics to show up. I'm also using a K20D Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,
Neither lens will auto focus. Auto on the lens means auto aperture, staying open until you trip the shutter,then it stops down to the pre-selected aperture automatically. The 200mm looks as though it was made fro Vivitar by Kino (aka Kiron) as the serial # appears to start with 22. No idea as to who made the 2nd lens but many lens makers made lenses for others , they simply re-labeled their lenses or made lenses according to others specifications. The adapters from China should be OK, but if the price difference between them & the OEM isn't too great, I'd go with the OEM adapters...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that the OEM M42 lens to PK camera mount is not that expensive.

I also heard that installing the non-Pentax version M42-to-PK may be a little more difficult to use, and that the Pentax adapter is not expensive. So i would explore that option first.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging the "left handed" focusing and E in the serial, I guess that your Seriese lens was manufactured by Sigma in the mid to late '60s. Luisalegria should be able to determine with more certainty.

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you here ! I never hear series lens , but look beautiful! Congrats!
I have a Vivitar 3.5/200mm lens I think a very good lens even if lack a bit details it is sharp with nice color rendering.
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/vivitar/vivitar_200mm_f3_5_tx/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys - much appreciated. I will have a look at the genuine Pentax adapters today .

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feldar wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys - much appreciated. I will have a look at the genuine Pentax adapters today .

Matt

Let us know how the search for genuine Pentax adapters go and what the current price is.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seriese is really interesting! The 100-105mm focal length is my favorite for a full frame camera (I still shoot film). Don't see to many f2.5s out there, outside of nikon of course. Good luck with it!

~Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc - you are right about it being interesting - it has 3 adjustable rings, one to set aperture, one to quickly adjust apeture from set point to a larger aperture, and one for focus - never seen that sort of configuration before.
I am picking up an adapter tomorrow, so I will post some shots taken with the lens as soon as I can.

Cheers,

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill may be right. I can't ID early Sigmas as I haven't seen enough of them, but his reasoning is good. I have long had a 135/2.8 that seems to be from the same series as this, sold under the Accura brand, quite a nice lens, one of my favorites in fact. It may indeed be a Sigma also.

I have seen a 35/2.8 preset with the Sigma trademark but sold by Sears with what I think were very similar markings; this was at one time being sold by Pacific Rim cameras, I should have picked it up.

The ring configuration is pretty standard for preset lenses, the double rings were standard on Japanese presets (German ones often had a single ring with a push-in mechanism), this was very common in the 1950's-1960's, and you will see it even today on some Russian-made lenses.

Your 105 probably dates from sometime in the 1960's, I will guess 1962-1966 or so based on the style.