Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SMCPENTAX-F AF ADAPTER 1.7X
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: SMCPENTAX-F AF ADAPTER 1.7X Reply with quote

I wonder has someone experience with this tool? Makes it really an AF lens from your MF lens?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so , if attached MF lens in closest position I don't think so you can take shoot at infinity, it will not rotate MF lens focusing mechanism.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a 1.7 times teleconverter that you can use on an af body with af lenses (simply a normal teleconverter with electrical contacts to connect the lens contacts through the converter to the cam ) so that the af is still operational
Daniel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: SMCPENTAX-F AF ADAPTER 1.7X Reply with quote

Gerrit wrote:
I wonder has someone experience with this tool? Makes it really an AF lens from your MF lens?

Yes, it does but it has it's limitations.

You'll have to prefocus manually close to the correct focus, with some shorter lenses you can leave the lens to infinity and focus with adapter for example from 2m- infinity. I have the adapter, and it's pretty usable tool if you need af.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty wrote:
It is a 1.7 times teleconverter that you can use on an af body with af lenses (simply a normal teleconverter with electrical contacts to connect the lens contacts through the converter to the cam ) so that the af is still operational
Daniel

Actually it's more than that. It has it's own AF-mechanism built in.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the af drive motor on pentax on the body of the cam and not in the lens like eos ?
If thats the case i can understand the operation Smile
edit : no i still dont get it like Attila said there is no way i can see any af mechanism turning the focusing ring manually on a mf lens
Am i missing something here ?

(i'm a bit slow after a long day Embarassed )

Last edited by Rusty on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty wrote:
Is the af drive motor on pentax on the body of the cam and not in the lens like eos ?
If thats the case i can understand the operation Smile

(i'm a bit slow after a long day Embarassed )

AF-drive motor is in fact in the body in Pentax. Only the newest SDM lenses have in-built AF-motors.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An expensive bit of kit which I see as a bit of a novelty. I think they make it as a x1.7 converter to hide some of the quality loss from using a rear lens to focus?
I can't really see the value of it? AF lenses already have their faults without adding more to them!

http://cgi.ebay.com/SMC-PENTAX-F-AF-1.7X-ADAPTER-K20D-K200D-K100D-K10D-K110_W0QQitemZ200284488123QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20081206?IMSfp=TL081206126010r15341

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get it now !
googled it and found out that it has an optical element that is driven by the af moter in the body, and does the focussing inside the adapter itself with the lens inside the adapter

learn something everyday Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Leslie wrote:
An expensive bit of kit which I see as a bit of a novelty. I think they make it as a x1.7 converter to hide some of the quality loss from using a rear lens to focus?
I can't really see the value of it? AF lenses already have their faults without adding more to them!

http://cgi.ebay.com/SMC-PENTAX-F-AF-1.7X-ADAPTER-K20D-K200D-K100D-K10D-K110_W0QQitemZ200284488123QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20081206?IMSfp=TL081206126010r15341

You can buy a REAL nice mf lens for that price Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty wrote:
Rob Leslie wrote:

You can buy a REAL nice mf lens for that price Very Happy

The prices of the adapter have become really high recently. At one point they were going for even higher than that price.

There is some quality loss of course, but if you wish to have the luxury to AF your manual focus lenses this is the only way for it. Smile
Actually it works pretty good with good quality teles, which may be difficult to manually focus reliably. Haven't used mine that much though...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they made a 1/1.6 converter that widened the angle to compensate for the crop sensor, that would be interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
If they made a 1/1.6 converter that widened the angle to compensate for the crop sensor, that would be interesting.

Tell me about it! Smile

How ever it might be hard to do...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some test shots from way back, that really doesn't tell you anything Smile.

http://forum.mflenses.com/pentax-m35-2-testshots-t8589.html

My M35/2 is dreamy wide open without the converter too, but the AF-converter brings it to a new level. @F2.8 the image quality is pretty good.
The converter is made for longer lenses any how.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: SMCPENTAX-F AF ADAPTER 1.7X Reply with quote

soikka wrote:
Gerrit wrote:

Yes, it does but it has it's limitations.

You'll have to prefocus manually close to the correct focus, with some shorter lenses you can leave the lens to infinity and focus with adapter for example from 2m- infinity. I have the adapter, and it's pretty usable tool if you need af.

Yes, it is correct, you need to be about there and it will auto-focus.
Look at my 180x1.7=306 Leica Elmarit auto focus and stabilized lens.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always learn... thank you guys!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica had the same idea with their AF-lenses, same TC with AF...

I had the Pentax 1.7x-AF-TC and found t not that interesting:
You HAVE to focus nearly correctly - on a macro-lens with the huge focus-range it's nonsense BTW.

As for the pure TC-Quality:
It's not the best either!
German ColorFoto tested the TC's and 135mm-lenses of the biug manufacturers in the 90's and while the Pentax 2.8/135 AF was quite good (not as good as the K 2.5/135 in comparison to Leica and Zeiss 2.8/135 like tested in the 80's) with the TC it lost much of it's optical quality.
The TC-135mm-combinations of most other manufacturers were better (except Oly IIRC).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
I had the Pentax 1.7x-AF-TC and found t not that interesting:
You HAVE to focus nearly correctly - on a macro-lens with the huge focus-range it's nonsense BTW.

Who needs AF in macro?

With a normal lens (try the Pentax AF adapter with a Porst 55/1.2) or a short tele (the AF adapter works like a charm on the SMC-Takumar 85/1.8 or the Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar Macro 125/2.5), you just focus the lens to infinity and the autofocus will work throughout the usual range without having to touch the focusing ring. The Voigtländer in autofocus is very fun to use (sorry, I know this is Manual Focus Forum Embarassed).

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Abazz

I used the 1.7x-TC with my Tamron 90 macro - which I'm using as a normal tele lens too.
Even in the normal focus range the TC couldn't focus everythind correctly because the lens moves the lens too much.
(totally diffent the Vivitar Series 1 28-105 where you have only some cm focus range whereas the Tammy has much more)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had several copies of the SMC Pentax-F 1.7x AF adapter - mainly because of the inflated prices on eBay. I sold all of them for a good profit. However, I have used the adapter on several lenses, the Sigma 500mm f/4.5 APO EX in particular, and did not like the results. Too soft and too much CA for my taste. I now use a Tamron-F 1.4x adapter and a Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x adapter (I think they are the same optically; externally they are 100% the same) and the results are much better than with the SMC Pentax-F 1.7x AF adapter.

However: I hate TC's in general because they usually screw up the bokeh.