Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Beechwoods
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Beechwoods Reply with quote

These aren't meant for artistic critique OK? Smile

The trees in the area where I live have been glorious this autumn so as soon as there was a little sun I rushed out to get some shots before the leaves finally fall. It had to be a fast trip to catch the light. I took two Spotmatics with cheap Kodak colour neg film, and just the Flek 2.4/35 and S-M-C Tak 1.8/55.

My local town is famous for furniture-making, and wooden chairs in particular. A lot of the industry has gone now sadly, but years ago you would find men called "Bodgers" living in huts in the Beech forests, making the turned legs and spindles for the chairs on a pole lathe.

This is a Sycamore tree about 200m from where I live

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice area, seems you are lucky really with your city. You have lovely autumn I guess. I like all of them your pictures. This is such a beautiful season to capture colors. I really miss photography, unfortunately I am very busy this time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Critique or not, I simply like this series. Lovely.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice series Peter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou Smile The lab DID scratch the negs by the way Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series Peter Smile
Hey, why don't you photograph the Bodgers?
A disappearing handiwork, what a fascinating subject that would be!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Nice series Peter Smile
Hey, why don't you photograph the Bodgers?
A disappearing handiwork, what a fascinating subject that would be!!!

Long gone now I'm afraid Orio. The very last one, Sam Rockall, died in 1962. I once knew his son, he was a scrap dealer, what we used to call "a Rag & Bone Man" like Steptoe & Son on TV. This article tells you all about Sam and about the work he did.
http://www.stuartking.co.uk/index.php/samuel-rockall-last-of-the-chair-bodgers/

I know you like to see countryside pictures. On that website there is a beautiful album of pictures of the area where I live. Holmer Green is the next village, only 1km from me. Also one about English Morris dancing, which is the nearest we have to your pageants. Smile
http://www.stuartking.co.uk/wp-content/plugins/falbum/wp/album.php

Google Maps
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=holmer+green&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=19.196147,28.476563&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=15&g=holmer+green&iwloc=addr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links Peter.
Preserving the traditions is very important. Traditions made a long road from the past to arrive to us today and it's a real crime to let them go. Plus they remind us of what we are and this will help us to fight the global consumerism that wants to make all the world to look the same.