MFlenses - A new life in a digital age
MFLenses 2026

Manual Focus Lenses Forum

Explore the world of vintage lenses through repair notes, real test shots, and detailed archive threads packed with images.

Explore the world of vintage lenses through repair notes, real test shots, and detailed archive threads packed with images.
logovectorizer.com
Spotlight

Featured partner placement for the forum front page.

Your favourite 50mm?
View previous topic :: View next topic  


Reply

Hello,
Yesterday I got three (!!!) cheap 50mm lens. M42 Auto Chinon 55/1.4, Zebra CZ ausJena Pancolar 50/1.8, and C/Y CZ Planar T* 50/1.7 (wowla!!!). I own some traditional (but not legendary Smile ) 50mm-s: Takumar, Chinon, Porst, Mamiya/Seckor, Fujinon...
My favourite until now is SMC Takumar 50/1.4. And in your store which lens may be your favourite?
.


Reply

Quote:
M42 Auto Chinon 55/1.4
isn't that the Tamioka? I quite like my olympus 50 1.4 lots of scope to play with.


Reply

Wow! Congratulations!

A Chinon 1.4/55 and a Planar 1.7/50 - that's not bad! What did you pay?

Here is my ranking: (Updated on 29 Sep 2007)

1.) Nikkor-S.C 1.2/55
2.) Asahi Pentax SMC 1.7/50
3.) Nikkor-H 2.0/50
3.) Auto Revuenon 1.4/55 (Tomioka)
3.) Canon EF 1.8/50 II (AF-lens, plastic but good glass)
3.) Yashica ML 1.7/50
7.) Auto Rikenon 1.7/50
7.) Mamiya Auto Sekor 1.8/55
9.) Yashica Auto Yashinon 2.0/50
10.) Pentacon auto 1.8/50
10.) Industar-50-2 3.5/50
10.) Helios-44M-6 2/58 MC
10.) Helios-44-2 2/58
14.) Petri Auto C.C. 1.7/50 (poorly built, but surprisingly nice pictures / sold)
15.) Auto Reflecta 1.7/55 (quite good at f8, though / sold)


For my Exa I have:
- Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 2.8/50 (pretty good)
- Meyer Optik Domiplan 2.8/50 1Q (OK, not bad, really)


Last edited by LucisPictor on Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:27 am; edited 6 times in total


Reply

Pentax-A 50mm f1.7, incredibly sharp lens Smile


Reply

I'm very curious about a comparison of Pancolar 1.8 and Planar 1.7


Reply

Orio wrote:
I'm very curious about a comparison of Pancolar 1.8 and Planar 1.7


Me too. I've never tried the Planar, but the Pancolar is my fave 50mm by far. In the 60s Praktica cameras came with a choice of 3 standard lenses, cheapest was the Meyer Domiplan, then the Tessar and most expensive was the Pancolar. I could never afford one then, so it was the first lens on my list when I got hooked on this crazy habit. I'm really pleased I bought it.


Reply

Orio wrote:
I'm very curious about a comparison of Pancolar 1.8 and Planar 1.7


Me too... I have, how many.. cant say... 50mm lenses... But not even one is able to touch the 50/1.7 planar. Its not the sharpness, but the quality which is really different from others.
To me the list goes way,
1) CZ Planar 50mm f1.7
2) Super-Tak 50mm f1.4
3) Auto Sears 55mm f1.4 ((Tomioka)
4) Canon EF 50mm f1.8 MkII (AF, but good snap shot lens Very Happy )
5) INDUSTAR-50-2 50mm f3.5 (forget about quality, its a pancake lens.. great for street)


Reply

I vote for Pancolar in Pancolar vs Planar competition.


Reply

hacksawbob wrote:
Quote:
M42 Auto Chinon 55/1.4
isn't that the Tamioka? I quite like my olympus 50 1.4 lots of scope to play with.

I am not clearly that Tomioka made this Chinon lens or not. I own the Auto Revuonon 50/1.4, too. It really is made by Tomioka but it is not good enough. Maybe my sample is not original.
LucisPictor wrote:
Wow! Congratulations!

A Chinon 1.4/55 and a Planar 1.7/50 - that's not bad! What did you pay?

I paid 28 EURO for the Chinon lens here in a local shop and 70 EURO included shipping cost (by ebay) for the Planar lens. And 8 EURO for Pancolar! I am a fluker! Smile
With Chinon I shot some photos, there are all sharp and good contrast!
I will need C/Y-EOS to use the Planar. Anybody knows the HK ebay store named "big_is"? They sell cheaper adapter, but what about the quality?
.


Reply

For sharpness the Asahi Pentax SMC 1.7/50


For colour rendering the Meyer Oreston 50/1.8

And the helios 44, I'm looking for a M39/M42 adapter so far I use with a revers adapter with fantastic results.


Guido


Reply

Almost every 50mm lenses are good one, so many great lenses are available. My favorite almost always the last purchase, currently Olympus OM 50mm f/1.4.


Reply

A Chinon 50/1.4 shots are very sharp!!!



And Pancolar performs superb colors. You are right, Attila.


.


Reply

iha wrote:
...I paid 28 EURO for the Chinon lens here in a local shop and 70 EURO included shipping cost (by ebay) for the Planar lens. And 8 EURO for Pancolar! I am a fluker! Smile


Bargains! Well done!

I'm surprised to hear that you are not satisfied with your 1.4/50 Revuenon (btw, is it a 1.4/50 or a 1.4/55?).

You, know I've got the 1.4/55 and it is one of my best 50ish lenses!


Reply

Mine is SMC Taku 50mm 1.4.
I love this lens its sharp even at F2 and becomes super sharp at F4 and after.

Here are some samples:




Reply

SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 looks one of the best. Look at these two samples and others made by Iha.


Reply

Excellent shots sqwall!!!

I bought a mint (M42) Rikenon 1.7/50 for little money today. Since I used shoot with Ricoh equipment, I know that Rikenon lenses are generally underrated.
So I am looking forward to get the lens and play around a little...

I might even be that it is a similar design (only in M42) to my Pentax SMC 1.7/50 which is a fantastic lens!


Reply

Here's some of the reasons I love my Pentax-A 50mm f1.7:

Sherry pouring man at Megavino, a wine-expo indoors in Brussels





St. Baafs cathedral, Ghent.




Both wide open Smile

Tom


Reply

Obviously 55mm does qualify, too, so:

Yashinon DS-M 55mm 1:1.2 Smile


Last edited by Cobalt60 on Wed May 30, 2007 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total


Reply

Hi, Cobalt!

Do you think, you could give a list of your lenses and tell us about your experiences, like a "lens roster"?


Reply

Hi Lucis,

well, my roster almost exclusively consists out of
Yashica lenses with original Y-Mount, M42, C/Y and
Y/AF.
On top of that some hand-picked M42 stuff like
e.g. Porst 35mm 1:1.8, a very good Tokina 135mm
and 24mm ...
(plus some ... YUCK! ... AF lenses *g*).

EDIT: Oh, forgot a bunch of K6 CZJ lenses ...

Cheers!


Reply

Since I had many different SLR-systems but mostly Pentax gear here is my list:

1. Pentax K 1.2/50 (sharpest lens!)
2. Pentax K 1.4
3. Pentax F 1.7
4. Pentax A 1.7
5. Pentax FA 1.4
6. Pentax M 1.7
7. Pentax M 1.4
8. Pentax K 1.8/55
9. Pentax A 2.0

I made lots of comparison shots in those days: Tripod, inside and outside.

For C/Y I preferred the 1.4 for it's nicer bokeh.
Same for Canon....


Reply

Updated...


Reply

Olympus OM Macro 50mm f3.5 & Nikon Nikkor 50mm f1.2 AIS & Pancolar 50mm f1.8 & more, more , more others Smile


Reply

Hi colleagues...

I just own a single CZJ Planar 50mm 1.7 and I love it. (I see no reasons to get another 50mm whilst I'm still missing the Jupiter-9, the Volna, ... Wink)

Best regards,
Jes.


Reply

Everybody started with one lens from a focal length and ... Laughing I believe you will have more soon. Every lens has different personality one lens not cover all areas.