Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RD1 Vignette the flaw that roared (meow)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: RD1 Vignette the flaw that roared (meow) Reply with quote

One of the drawbacks of RF cameras is in the use of ultra wide angle lenses.
The edges of the frames suffer from fall off and vignetting can be apparent.
One of the biggest issues in developing a Digital rangefinder was to overcome this issue.
Leica in 2000 actually proclaimed that it would not be able to produce a Digital M due to this issue.
The issue was overcome by microlenses on the sensor to compensate for this fall and now we have the M8.
Well the Epson R D1 has a ways to go in that department.
Here are a pair of shots using a CV 4.5/15 heliar.
The first is using the R D1. You can see that there is very strong Vignetting.
The crop factor of this camera is 1.5.
In the second shot we have the same exact lens in use on a Bessa L and film.
You will not notice any of the same personality even though the full frame is in use.
Not the best shot but makes the point as I burned in the bottom corners (this is a scan of a print).
The top corners show the goods look at those.
PS can overcome this issue so it is not the end of DRF or anything dramatic.
It may be interesting to some of you so here you go.
BTW this lens ROCKS!
Sharp and distortion free. Best value in WA period .

RD1

Film

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both shots, fantastic! I'm really getting hooked on wide angle lenses!

Thanks for sharing, Andy, let's have some more!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are superb, and they make me jealous for a truly wide lens.

#2 is particularly good, thats what these RF's/WA are for, high contrast B&W.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys, I'm happy you enjoy them
I want to puff up this lens a bit more.
It really is great and such a value.
For example if you live in the US, Cameraquest can have one at your door for $375 including shipping and the viewfinder.
Then all you need is a LTM body such as a Zorki or FED for Cheap.
No other way to have a sharp 110Degrees of view with next to zero distortion for Under $1k.

Here is one more that I posted before. Please excuse the duplicate and awful scan. The flowers in front are less then 10" from the lens :shock

aprox. 30min exposure F8 light of the full moon and NO Wind (yeah! Smile )

1600wide

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Larry!

For an amateur photographer like me, your comments and experiences are extremely useful.
I would have never thought in letting the camera for half an hour taking an exposition and getting that result!.
Congrats, and thanks for sharing!

Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Andy. Got any more to show?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Here is one more that I posted before. Please excuse the duplicate and awful scan. The flowers in front are less then 10" from the lens :shock

aprox. 30min exposure F8 light of the full moon and NO Wind (yeah! Smile

Incredible shot, Andy. Thanks for sharing. I can't believe that you didn't get more color shift from a 30mm exposure. Great job!

These superwide lenses designed for rangefinder cameras are really unique. I don't have the famous 12mm and 15mm Voigtländer lenses but I enjoy a lot using my Fujinon 50/5.6 on a big 6x9 Fuji G690 camera (equivalent to a 21mm lens on 35mm format):

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, can I say one thing?
All beautiful photos are those posted in this thread!!

Abbazz the colour of the sea is amazing!

Andy, the B&W photo shows a beach that (in my memory at least) seems strikingly similar to the beach that is visible in the opening scene of Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal - I mean this especially in relation with the lighting and the quality of B&W, but also of the curved shape of the shore.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow superb shots!
the 30min moon shot always impress me
Sebastien beach shots are plenty of beautiful colors

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all I will try and put together a Gallery post with this lens.

Abbazz
These two are really great. I would love to get my hands on that Fuji combo at some point.

May I ask the films in use here? The mellow tones of the first shot in particular seem very accurate to me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, Poilu and Andy, thanks for the kind words.

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
I would love to get my hands on that Fuji combo at some point.

The Fuji G690 series cameras with interchangeable lens were produced between 1969 and 1979. They are turning into collectibles nowadays. Especially the lenses apart from the standard 100mm are so difficult to locate that I can hardly recommend them as users. The fixed lens Fuji GSW690 MkIII (discontinued in 2003) or the Mamiya 7ii (still in production) with the 43mm lens seem better choices if you want a MF rangefinder camera with a superwide lens.

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
May I ask the films in use here? The mellow tones of the first shot in particular seem very accurate to me.

I used Fuji NPZ800 (now Fuji Pro 800z), which is my favorite color negative film in medium format. Very nice colors and fine grain. Yes, the grain is incredible for a 800 ISO film, you have to see it to believe! Of course, the big 6x9 negatives help making the grain totally invisible. I expose it at 640 ISO and use it as an all purpose film. It remains usable even in full daylight on my Fuji (1/500 max. speed), because diffraction is not an issue at F/16 or even F/22 on 6x9 format.

Cheers!

Abbazz