Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

PM system is changed
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: PM system is changed Reply with quote

I did modify pm system , now pm is redirected fully into your registered email address. "Reply to" : is filled with sender email address instead of site email + mail body contains pm body instead of link only to forum. Hopefully this is help many of us who has now access to forum under travel.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea, thanks a lot Attila!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great.

By the way, what do we do with PMs still shown in our Outbox? Are those automatically send out or should be resend again?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymore wrote:
So, if I send a pm to someone they get the email address I use here in the email that is telling them they have a PM from me?

Can someone please send me a PM so I can better understand the change?

This is a privacy issue. Anyone can read who I am from my e-mail.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Seymore wrote:
So, if I send a pm to someone they get the email address I use here in the email that is telling them they have a PM from me?

Can someone please send me a PM so I can better understand the change?

This is a privacy issue. Anyone can read who I am from my e-mail.

If you send a pm ... , if you want to hide your self, don't send pm or even better don't participate on this forum.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
This is a privacy issue. Anyone can read who I am from my e-mail

you can put a new yahoo, hotmail or similar in your profile
I don't feel any restriction with normal PM as long I have access to internet
I just come back from 1 week in Paris and now I stay 3 weeks in Athens, no problem
ok... I am not Chinese Cool Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anybody don't like this new mod, change his email in his profile to a fake one or delete it or not use pm system.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
if you want to hide your self, don't send pm or even better don't participate on this forum.

I thought that one can get my e-mail just by sending me PM - that was my first misunderstanding. When I send PM I always put my real name to it - that is proper I think.

But your second comment is strange. I have thought that these kind of forums are by default anonymous, that is: other people do not know your identity if you don't want them to know.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Attila wrote:
if you want to hide your self, don't send pm or even better don't participate on this forum.

I thought that one can get my e-mail just by sending me PM - that was my first misunderstanding. When I send PM I always put my real name to it - that is proper I think.

But your second comment is strange. I have thought that these kind of forums are by default anonymous, that is: other people do not know your identity if you don't want them to know.

I did put here the changes to inform people, this means if anybody hide to itself he can do (I not agree) I don't see any reason why need to hide email from other members if I contact to him in pm.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM=private message and only the sender and the receiver knows it. Sending through emails still does not change this fact, at least I don't think. If one opt not to let the other party knows who he/she is, can sign up another email account (there are plenty of free email providers out there).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much Attila for the new feature.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet!
Nice one Attila Smile
I have used this method on another board and it's great!
Saves a couple steps and mails are not missed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Sweet!
Nice one Attila Smile
I have used this method on another board and it's great!
Saves a couple steps and mails are not missed.

This was main reason to not miss any pm and we can read them on phone , pda etc.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant my friend! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a choice replace your email address to a fake one like aaaa@bbb.com and problem solved or if you want to get them but not on your mail register a free new one and put that to your profile. Risk to get spam not higher if you send to any member than if you send email to anybody else.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Seymore!

I felt like a lonely idiot with my opinion Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many ISP accounts allow for multiple email addresses. The email address I use here has same user name as here.

I don't like hiding behind user name, but consider necessary given stories of organized crime trawling internet sites to discover real identity and location of valuable warez as we like so much to brag about and show. I hate to (and do not for even one moment!) think anyone here would send PMs just to maybe discover real identities, but real possibility someone bad could register to try that.

Same reasoning I have unlisted phone number, even though I would like for old friends out of touch for years able to find me now.

Also, people know me by user name now. If I were to post real name nobody would know who is that? Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spamers I think will not register to collect email address they need to send pm and wait for replay all than by manually or need to write specific software none of them has much benefits.
They made viruses, worms etc to collect all email address from client computers etc, etc. In fact if you send to anybody anytime an email , you have to face to face your email will be collected and use as target for spam.
At the beginning I did try to spam free my email as everybody do, but it was simple impossible. Now I enjoy spam filter of Thunderbird and I not care much about. Junk mails going automatically to Junk folder.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila, I understand now people sending PM do not see send-to address, only if send-to person reply.

I use Thunderbird too. T-bird spam-catcher and ISP spam-catcher together, I get very few in InBox.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

siriusdogstar wrote:
Thanks Attila, I understand now people sending PM do not see send-to address, only if send-to person reply.

I use Thunderbird too. T-bird spam-catcher and ISP spam-catcher together, I get very few in InBox.

Your welcome! Yes, they are work pretty well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will not remove email address from sender, it has more benefits than disadvantage.

Do following steps to hide your own email address and still get notification on same email.

1) register a new free email.
2) put this email to your profile.
3) redirect new registered email to your genuine one.

All receivers see only you new registered one and you will get notification on your genuine one too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked at my private messages and realised I don't mind giving my email address to the people i have exchanged PMs with, so it's not a problem for me. Nevertheless I think this change is not a very good idea, PMs are pms, email is email; if you want/need to communicate with email just give your email to the person, if you need to read pms through email, just make the pm system quote the message on the notification.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naplam wrote:
I have looked at my private messages and realised I don't mind giving my email address to the people i have exchanged PMs with, so it's not a problem for me. Nevertheless I think this change is not a very good idea, PMs are pms, email is email; if you want/need to communicate with email just give your email to the person, if you need to read pms through email, just make the pm system quote the message on the notification.

It had good reason why I did put email and pm content to pm notify message, this was made for those member who have email access but no web access that moment. As you wrote if I send a pm to anyone I don't care if he will know my email.

In profile you can set following:

Notify on new Private Message: Yes No

If you set NO, pm will be pm , no email from pm.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymore wrote:
Attila wrote:

Then please give us the option of publishing our email address ALSO. Can we have a "show email - yes/no" option in the profile?

Please understand that you've opened quite the can-of-worms with this option. And if you give us no options, that may not be accepctable to all.

You have many options I did write before, just need to do something by your self. I don't have time to develop your request.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymore wrote:
Attila wrote:
Seymore wrote:
Attila wrote:

Then please give us the option of publishing our email address ALSO. Can we have a "show email - yes/no" option in the profile?

Please understand that you've opened quite the can-of-worms with this option. And if you give us no options, that may not be accepctable to all.

You have many options I did write before, just need to do something by your self. I don't have time to develop your request.

But you have time to put my email address in jepordy with the spammers? All I have to do is respond to one of their PMs and BAM, I'm on 100 spammers lists.

So please explain, in detail, why is it again that you need my email address in a standard PM? If I PM you, I don't want an email back from you. That is the reason for a PM... security of my email address.

Read again whole thread from beginning this seems end less talk.