Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44-3 sharp, sharp, sharp!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
I'm gonna see those eyes in my dreams...yow

good focusing skills, that's for sure.

Thanks, Im getting pretty good with mf. So much I almost gave up on focusing screen Very Happy. Besides no one around here will install those Sad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get one but some have protruding parts at the back which prevent them being used on my DSLR. They're more pricey than the other 44s, so I've stayed away.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I would get one but some have protruding parts at the back which prevent them being used on my DSLR. They're more pricey than the other 44s, so I've stayed away.

Yeah, Ive read about that problem, however the version I have doesnt have that problem. As for price, I think they are worth it Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got so tempted that I got one from the Bay (Alexander photo in Ukraine). Serial number starting with 92, so quite modern.

I asked if the focusing ring was behind the mounting flange or not ( and even sent him an illustrative image) and the answer was not. So I grabbed it, and of course he was wrong Sad
I don't think he lied on purpose, rather a misunderstanding. However, I didn't feel like posting it back, so I had a look at it and had a go at removing the focusing ring. It was just to unscrew the three small screws and take it off, very simple. First, I sanded away 0.2mm by hand (very simple, but hard work), and it worked great on the DSLR-adapter alone. But when mounted to the camera the "bayonet stop rod" on the SONY hit the focusing ring, so I decided to take away more. So I took it to my job and machined away 0.5 mm from the bottom. Now it works great.
So, don't be afraid to buy the wrong version, it is very simple to fix without any risk of damaging the lens. At least my version where the focusing ring overlap was only a few 10th of a millimeter.

I'll be back with image results when I have caught something nice. First impressions are very contrasty, great sharpness (but I don't know if it beats the central sharpness of the 44M4 yet, but it looks promising at least stopped down to 2.8 ), smooth focusing, compact, beautiful design and great operation with pre set aperture Very Happy

/T

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the 44-3 of 1986 version. My helios was not so good like yours.

The 44M-7 was really better, but not than the SMC 1,4/50.

The 44-3 had the particular rendering of the 44 series (not M ones).

The portraits posted here are very nice. Very neutral colors.

Rino

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bokeh can be 'busy' and not so pleasing at times, but nevertheless Its a sharp lens...

100% CROP

[/img]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an okay lens. I am not fully convinced though. I would love to see some more and un-touched images. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here were a few that I did: http://forum.mflenses.com/goose-gourd-helios-44-3-delta-100-xtol-pentax-es-t33837,highlight,%2Bhelios+%2B443.html

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I would like to see the gold standard for sharpness. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newton wrote:
It is an okay lens. I am not fully convinced though. I would love to see some more and un-touched images. Wink

No probs, Ill send some straight out of camera shots with crops bit later Smile

Here they are:

All photos shot under AWB, exported from RAW to JPG no sharpening whatsover. Resized to 700 px high in ps. All shots @ f2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me, it doesn't really need to be any sharper IMO. Wink

Thx for sharing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great shots!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, good lens
could you tell me, The aperture is 2 when you Photography ... Razz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These lens performances have a lot more to do with the condition of the single copies than with a difference in the production.
As far as I know, the lens has stayed the same design.
So the reason why one finds the 44-3 sharper, another finds the 44-7 sharper, another finds the 44-2 sharper... it's simply
because of the condition of their particular copy of the lens. Not because 3 is sharper than 7 or 4 is sharper than 2 etc...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
These lens performances have a lot more to do with the condition of the single copies than with a difference in the production.
So the reason why one finds the 44-3 sharper, another finds the 44-7 sharper, another finds the 44-2 sharper... it's simply
because of the condition of their particular copy of the lens. Not because 3 is sharper than 7 or 4 is sharper than 2 etc...

That's exactly what I experienced: i had many copy of many versions of helios 44: the sharpest of all is a 44-2 I got at a flea market in berlin, while the only 44m7 i've had was really worse than that under most aspects (just a little more flare resistant): I kept only the best performing, and now I have a 44-2, 44m, and a 44m4 .

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

+1 this was my conclusion also! totally agree.
Sample variance can be measured when the two lenses are in the same exact condition (lets say "mint") and there you can find (maybe) the difference when looking at 200% crops or what not, and even then the difference in sharpness or whatever, is So Small that it doesnt matter.

lets just say i have x4 copies of helios 44-3. and the three that are mint condition perform better then the beaten one. and funny but non-MC version is sharper then all others (when you look at 400% crops LOL.) so really it doesnt matter. oh and most 44-2 perform exactly as a 44-3...

oh and i had x2 copies of MC 44m-7, same happend here, the mint copy was sharper then the well used one. but just by how much you can ask? well only enough to notice when comparing (once again) non realistic crop's and looking at center sharpness etc.. this whole thing is really silly tbh.

its really an old rumor about these russion made lenses, that they have great copy variance etc... in real life even when you test them it doesnt matter. the problem is with people who buy a beaten\well used\tempered with copy of helios lens for 5$ then test it and say its crap, and there are 10 others that agree.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, out of over 20 Russian lenses I've not had a less than good one yet.

I haven't had a beaten up one, all have been at least good condition and all have been at least good performers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been really happy with each of the five Helios lenses I have owned. Very nice sharpness and colour rendition from them. Your shots are great and show the lens' qualities perfectly.