Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

WTT Voightlander 125mm 2.5 APO for CY Carl Zeiss 15mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan
the samples I have seen using non retrofocus wides on Dslr show smeared corners and troubles with chroma in corners also.
It seems a poor trade for distortion control.
Those lenses are designed for film use and even there show light fall off (vignetting).
The M8/9 is the only camera designed to use in camera software and micro lenses to use non retrofocus lenses with digital.
With software fixes available for field distortion IMHO a retrofocus design will be best for use with a reflex desgned sensor.

@Christopher
you may want to consider a CV 15mm or even a 12mm and use it with a Bessa L and film.
The cost will likely be less than the difference you will pay in a trade for your 125 to a 15.
They perform superbly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dream Merchant wrote:
Thanks trifox for the link
I think I have to spend some time thinking about this. I just did a search and am reading about people who have problems with the CYCZ 15mm focusing to infinity and so on ...
Orio, <500 Euro is a fantastic price for this lens!
Where can we get one in a similar condition?

Perhaps I explained myself poorly.
What I meant was that the average used prices of the APO Lanthar 125 and Contax Distagon 15 seem to differ of about 500 Euros.
Example: if a used APO Lanthar 125 costs about 1000-1200 Euros, a used Distagon 15 costs about 1500-1700 Euros.
I am speaking of mint condition lenses, obviously.
And I speak of average prices, you may find higher peaks and lower lows.

So obviously with this pricing, a straight trade, no money compensation, is favoureable to the Apo Lanthar owner, and not so favoureable to the Distagon 15 owner.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curiously today one ebay seller sold the CZ 15mm, CZ 16mm and CZ 85mm.

The 15mm was old for 1150€ + postage...

It was a good price since the lens looked in really good shape...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:
Dear Merchant -

The retrofocus has an advantage - you can use with less problem on FF DLSR --

I don't have any experience with Distagon 3.5/15 and 5D or 5D MkII but I have an idea to avoid retrocus in full and fit the TRUE WIDE and block the mirror in FULL --- so the back part of the TRUE WIDE is going deeply inside the camera whereas the retrofocus is going less inside less -- but the mirror can hit the rear part of the lens anyway..

So the paradox is this -- 5D Mk II + LiveView is better option because you can use the TRUE WIDE on FF and imagine focal length = 15mm on FF --- this is a difference between retrofocus on FF and true wide -- it looks different in perspective view..

I haven't had any experience with 1D Mk II or 1Ds Mk II .. so far

tf

Thanks TF.

So the 1DM2 and CYCZ 15mm is still an unknown ... Crying or Very sad

Anyways, I am still trying to wrap my head around the physics.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Stan
the samples I have seen using non retrofocus wides on Dslr show smeared corners and troubles with chroma in corners also.
It seems a poor trade for distortion control.
Those lenses are designed for film use and even there show light fall off (vignetting).
The M8/9 is the only camera designed to use in camera software and micro lenses to use non retrofocus lenses with digital.
With software fixes available for field distortion IMHO a retrofocus design will be best for use with a reflex desgned sensor.

@Christopher
you may want to consider a CV 15mm or even a 12mm and use it with a Bessa L and film.
The cost will likely be less than the difference you will pay in a trade for your 125 to a 15.
They perform superbly.

Thanks F16.

So you're saying that a retrofocus DOES work better with a DSLR?

I know that might be over-simplyfing things, but as mentioned in other posts, I'm still getting to grips with the physics.

I've seen the test of thew Nikkor 15mm with a good quality adapter, and the results look quite stunning. While not a CYCZ, I may be able to live with it.

Now, the question that comes to mind is what would be a really good quality adapter for a Nikon-EOS ...

Do you think the 'PRO' version of the Fotodiox adapter is good enough?

I've heard almost nothing about the Novoflex adapter, but apparently Novoflex is quite well regarded as far as precision engineering goes.

Any insight on the Nikkor and adapters would be helpful since it appears to be a viable option.

As for a 35mm film option, I may not want to go down that route just yet.

CHEERS!

Last edited by Dream Merchant on Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Dream Merchant wrote:
Thanks trifox for the link
I think I have to spend some time thinking about this. I just did a search and am reading about people who have problems with the CYCZ 15mm focusing to infinity and so on ...
Orio, <500 Euro is a fantastic price for this lens!
Where can we get one in a similar condition?

Perhaps I explained myself poorly.
What I meant was that the average used prices of the APO Lanthar 125 and Contax Distagon 15 seem to differ of about 500 Euros.
Example: if a used APO Lanthar 125 costs about 1000-1200 Euros, a used Distagon 15 costs about 1500-1700 Euros.
I am speaking of mint condition lenses, obviously.
And I speak of average prices, you may find higher peaks and lower lows.

So obviously with this pricing, a straight trade, no money compensation, is favoureable to the Apo Lanthar owner, and not so favoureable to the Distagon 15 owner.

Thanks Orio, for the clarification.

So generally a used Voight 125 in excellent condition goes for about 1,000 - 1,200 euros?

I guess if I sell it straight-off, I could explore other UWA options like the Nikkor 15mm.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazzaros wrote:
Curiously today one ebay seller sold the CZ 15mm, CZ 16mm and CZ 85mm.

The 15mm was old for 1150€ + postage...

It was a good price since the lens looked in really good shape...

SIGH ... I should have kept an eye on ebay ... but right now I don't know if I can use the CYCZ15 on my camera ...

Thanks for the update Lazzaros.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dream Merchant wrote:
So generally a used Voight 125 in excellent condition goes for about 1,000 - 1,200 euros?

Over the past 6 months on eBay, those in Canon mount have sold for 900-1200 EUR and those in Nikon mount for slightly more.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dream Merchant wrote:

Yes, that is currently the average value on Ebay.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys.

I'm now looking into the viability of using a Nikkor 15mm on my 1DM2.

Best regards! Cool

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite my APO-Lanthar serials survey is only in the beginning stage there is no doubt the 125/2.5 APO-Lanthar in C/Y mount is the rarest of them all. Despite having already received more than 100 serials I still can't even confirm the existence of a single 125/2.5 in C/Y mount - nor have I received serials for 90 & 180mm in C/Y mount.

Judging from the serials, the 125/2.5 draft findings are: Nikon mount versions about 2400-3000, Canon 1500-2000. M/MD, O/OM, P/K-A and M42 500-1000 per respective mount.