Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M42 helicoid (macro tube) from hk300 and mflenses - a review
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T mount screw on the camera end might allow for greater flexibility?

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to ask this question but what is the advantage of helicoid as compared to extension tubes? Different purposes?

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
Sorry to ask this question but what is the advantage of helicoid as compared to extension tubes? Different purposes?

The helicoid is the macro equivalent of a zoom lens compared to .primes. You don't need to swap tubes to change magnification.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jieffe wrote:

The helicoid is the macro equivalent of a zoom lens compared to .primes. You don't need to swap tubes to change magnification.

So this is meant for macro shooting only? Can I shoot till infinity?

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hk300 wrote:
(other screw type are also available)
Canon FD-M42
Minolta AF-M42
ContaxC/Y-M42
Tamron-M42
Nikon-M42

and i may be able to produce or source other ones.

Does this mean I will be able to mount my Minolta lens to Canon bodies? (Minolta lens to helicoid M42 and M42-Canon adapter)? Also, does it mean I can now use Contax C/Y lens on my Minolta/Sony body?

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jieffe wrote:
my_photography wrote:

I would not use the term "zoom lens" here, since it implies a variation of focal length - which it is not. It is a simple focusing device or variable extention tube which allows a change in magnification.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
So this is meant for macro shooting only? Can I shoot till infinity?

Yes, as with extension tubes.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
I would not use the term "zoom lens" here, since it implies a variation of focal length

Correct. I was using "zoom" as a shortcut to "ability to change the magnification factor without swapping extension tubes".

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda like a Vivitar 2x macro converter...The variable magnification factor makes something like this so much more useful as you simply turn the ring to change ratios instead of adding or subtracting tubes...Makes composition easier too...

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screamin Scott wrote:
Kinda like a Vivitar 2x macro converter...

As a matter of fact, I made my own helicoid by removing the lenses of a vivitar macro converter.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
hk300 wrote:
(other screw type are also available)
Canon FD-M42
Minolta AF-M42
ContaxC/Y-M42
Tamron-M42
Nikon-M42

and i may be able to produce or source other ones.

Does this mean I will be able to mount my Minolta lens to Canon bodies? (Minolta lens to helicoid M42 and M42-Canon adapter)? Also, does it mean I can now use Contax C/Y lens on my Minolta/Sony body?

Anyone knows if this is possible?
Contax C/Y helicoid M42 then M42 to Minolta/Sony A mount?
Minolta/Sony A mount to helicoid M42 then M42 to Canon EF mount?

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything (nearly) is possible if you are willing to pay for it!!
I have a lot of such custom projects made over the years...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if someone who has examined one of these helicoids can answer a question.

I have a barrel lens, 43mm outside diameter, that I would like to mount. Thye barrel isn't threaded--it's strictly smooth (it was removed from a rack-and-pinion focusing tube).

My question is how the lens is held in the helicoid. Is it screwed in, or is there some other arrangement to hold it in place? I've looked at the pics, and it's not clear to me.

Thanks for all assistance. I did ask the seller via the auction site, and got a prompt and courteous reply, which unfortunately didn't address all of my questions.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jieffe wrote:
As a matter of fact, I made my own helicoid by removing the lenses of a vivitar macro converter.

Hi Jieffe, Can you share some more details. I am dabbling with this idea for sometimes now.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiladitya wrote:
Jieffe wrote:

Hi Jieffe, Can you share some more details. I am dabbling with this idea for sometimes now.

Thanks

I had for a long time a Kiron-made "Vivitar 2x macro focusing teleconverter" in Pentax K mount. It was supposed to be better (or "less worse") than other converters, having 7 MC elements.

As I never used it, I decided to remove all the lenses (after disassembly and a bit of dremeling if I remember correctly).

I now have a variable extension ring going from 4.4cm to 6cm fully extended.

Closed :

Extended :

Inside : (ignore the glued mount, I misplaced the original mount and used a M42-K converter Embarassed)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good idea , especially if you can get on bargain price. I have two copies from this converter and I think pretty good one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jieffe wrote:
Shiladitya wrote:
Jieffe wrote:

Thanks

I had for a long time a Kiron-made "Vivitar 2x macro focusing teleconverter" in Pentax K mount. It was supposed to be better (or "less worse") than other converters, having 7 MC elements.

As I never used it, I decided to remove all the lenses (after disassembly and a bit of dremeling if I remember correctly).

I now have a variable extension ring going from 4.4cm to 6cm fully extended.

This is great... I have been eyeing this converter (7 MC element) in Nikon mount. Its works out much cheaper than the helicoid tubes (with different extension lengths off course)

How do I find out the focus distance that it will give me for my EL nikkor 50/2.8 (both with the glass elements i.e. 2X FL and without the glass elemets)

Anyway I think I will try this before I choose to buy the more expensive helicoid tubes.

Jieffe, does removing the glass elements make this a permanent variable extension or the glasses can be fit ince again... I mean is the operation of removing the glasses too complex?

Quote:
This is a good idea , especially if you can get on bargain price. I have two copies from this converter and I think pretty good one.

Yes Atilla, I am looking for one at an affordable price.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiladitya wrote:
How do I find out the focus distance that it will give me for my EL nikkor 50/2.8 (both with the glass elements i.e. 2X FL and without the glass elemets)

I dont have the glass elements anymore, so can't tell you. With a 50mm set to infinity, the focus distance is about 4-5 cm depending of the extension.

The real-life object I can photography at max extension is 2cm wide,

Quote:
Jieffe, does removing the glass elements make this a permanent variable extension or the glasses can be fit ince again... I mean is the operation of removing the glasses too complex?

Well, I had to break a few pieces to remove the glasses. Maybe someone more careful could disassemble the converter and keep the ability to re-assemble it later ... not sure about that one.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jieffe wrote:
Shiladitya wrote:

I dont have the glass elements anymore, so can't tell you. With a 50mm set to infinity, the focus distance is about 4-5 cm depending of the extension.

The real-life object I can photography at max extension is 2cm wide,

Quote:

Well, I had to break a few pieces to remove the glasses. Maybe someone more careful could disassemble the converter and keep the ability to re-assemble it later ... not sure about that one.

Great Thanks. I think for now this is the way to go for me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on the availability + current price of these helicoids + adaptors Alex??

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 Alex

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: M42 helicoid to focus MTO 1000mm Reply with quote

May I use one of those M42-M42 helicoids as a focuser for a MTO 1000mm mirror lens?

Now it is a pain to move the whole barrel but I do not know if one of those helicoid will allow micro focusing or not

I know I have to allow past infinity focus to compensate the longer lens-sensor distance (it is explaided here )

I do not want to buy one if I do not know it it works a I expect or not
Regards
Jorge

PD After several tries I managed to put the URL

Last edited by garjor on Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:09 pm; edited 6 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: M42 helicoid to focus MTO 1000mm Reply with quote

garjor wrote:
May I use one of those M42-M42 helicoids as a focuser for a MTO 1000mm mirror lens?

Now it is a pain to move the whole barrel but I do not know if one of those helicoid will allow micro focusing or not

I know I have to allow past infinity focus to compensate the longer lens-sensor distance (it is explaided here http://coldlake0.tripod.com/rubinarT.html[/url])

I do not want to buy one if I do not know it it works a I expect or not
Regards
Jorge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will ask a different way:

If you turn 360 degrees the ring, how many milimeters does it extend?
Always the same amount or it depends of the whole lenght or the helicoid?
Regards

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cca 270 degrees extends the helicoid fully