Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

[TIME] a.k.a. My favorite shot from 2013
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: [TIME] a.k.a. My favorite shot from 2013 Reply with quote

So, I just wanted to share this somewhere and was recommended here. Upon deliberation, I think this was my favorite shot of 2013.

I was visiting my home town of Asahikawa, Hokkaido, Japan last summer for the first time in a couple of years. I have a photographer friend there who shoots amazing B&W landscape in that region:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/n_eyes/

As you might see, he (and I) are both quite fond of the legendary Michael Kenna, and indeed, the hills of Biei, where Mr. Eyes shoots a lot at, are also one of Kenna's favorite destinations in Hokkaido---an island which he even has a dedicated book about.

In this book "Hokkaido", there were a couple of spots that really looked intriguing but that I'd never been to before. One was this Shinto shrine that was built in the sea (there are a few similar shrines across Japan):

Mr. Eyes and I decided we should pay it a visit; a pilgrimage of sorts to a "Kenna photo spot" along the west coast of Hokkaido.

However, it was actually on the way there that I captured what I consider as one of the best shots I've taken, and certainly my favorite of 2013. Just a random spot along the coast, but there were several tetrapods protruding from the ocean surface and on them were a bunch of Ororon birds, native to the area and in a bid of an endangered state.

You all know the moment, right? When you're out shooting with somebody and both (or all) of you see a scene and immediately understand the photo-worthiness of it. It was like that; Mr. Eyes was driving, I was in the passenger seat. We both saw this scene coming up ahead of us and we both shouted "We gotta shoot thaaaaaaaattttt!!!!".

So we parked (luckily there was a place to park right in front of the scene), and spent the next hour or so shooting it. I have a few versions, a Hasselblad square version and a couple of 4x5 versions, but this one, I've decided is the best.

It was shot with my Graflex Pacemaker Speed Graphic with the Kodak Aero Ektar (stopped all the way down to F16 lol) and a Hoya ND400 and Fuji Acros 100. I have have stacked another ND8 on it for the long exposure. The birds more or less sat still for the 2-3 minute shot (can't quite remember), which was awesome.

So, that's it. Thanks for looking Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. RawheaD. I can fee the eternity of the universe from your favorite shoot. We need you to join the discussion on Oriental style in the art section http://forum.mflenses.com/shooting-style-by-geographic-region-t64657.html . I am sure we will be benefit from your experience and insights.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pictures. It would look very nice printed to a big size and framed! I agree with Calvin, the feeling of calmness is beautifully captured.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 about big size and framed. Beautiful... just beautiful!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Very Happy

Dr Rawhead, it was Worth while posting in a new topic here !

Congrats.
They are great photographies.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice, #1 for me - very Zen like!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, these are very beautiful, thank you very much for showing!
they span a whole range of feelings, it is tempting to try to describe them by words but they couldn't do justice.

if you find time please do join the discussion about "Oriental Style" as suggested by Calvin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both awesome Shocked