Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mix with Olympus F.Zuiko 38mm f/1.8 (PEN FT mount)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Mix with Olympus F.Zuiko 38mm f/1.8 (PEN FT mount) Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn either you or lens , but look now much more wanted than even before, great series! #1 and # especially great!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get that out of yours something is wrong with mine. I think I need to send mine in for repair. I bought my Pen F-lenses from the same seller and both the 25 2.8 and 38 1.8 I put together wrong. It does not matter on the 25 that the aperture ring is turned the wrong way and that the focus scale is off but something important seems to be wrong with my 38.

By the way, nice pictures. My best to a Norway that I intend to visit come July.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good photos showing what this tiny lens is capable of!
Sharpness is great until borders, and I have been saying that the 38mm, as compared to the 1.4/40 which has a more 'conventional oof rendering, has a very unique bokeh which sometimes could disturb but also may enhance a photo. You used it very skillfully to enhance the photo, specially on the cat, but also on the second and the one with the child for which the 38's lively bokeh fits very well.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Damn either you or lens , but look now much more wanted than even before, great series! #1 and # especially great!

Thx! PEN F(T) lenses are quite good IMO, but also a tad pricey Confused I also have the 100mm f/3.5 and a silver PEN FT camera. If you can afford them, they will perform very good at mirrorless cameras. The size of the lenses is comparable to m39 lenses and the optics seem to be very nice. It looks good on my OM-D (will ad a photo later), with a small adapter (same size as the m39 adapter).

I can recommend this lens, but the deal isn't that good if you look at price/ performance Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurin wrote:
If you can get that out of yours something is wrong with mine. I think I need to send mine in for repair. I bought my Pen F-lenses from the same seller and both the 25 2.8 and 38 1.8 I put together wrong. It does not matter on the 25 that the aperture ring is turned the wrong way and that the focus scale is off but something important seems to be wrong with my 38.

By the way, nice pictures. My best to a Norway that I intend to visit come July.

Laughing Seems like you have a "melonhead" Wink

I don't think you would regret it if you send your lens to service as the lens is a good performer.

Enjoy your stay in Norway in July Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
very good photos showing what this tiny lens is capable of!
Sharpness is great until borders, and I have been saying that the 38mm, as compared to the 1.4/40 which has a more 'conventional oof rendering, has a very unique bokeh which sometimes could disturb but also may enhance a photo. You used it very skillfully to enhance the photo, specially on the cat, but also on the second and the one with the child for which the 38's lively bokeh fits very well.

I fully agree Very Happy

The lens has got a hint of swirly bokeh, love it or hate it Wink
And I guess it's even more visible with APS-C cameras beacause of the bigger sensor.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

Thx! PEN F(T) lenses are quite good IMO, but also a tad pricey Confused...
...but the deal isn't that good if you look at price/ performance Wink

Actually I consider PEN-F lenses to be budget 'rangefinder-like' lenses, by that I mean just like RF lenses 'small lenses that only require a short adapter on mirrorless digital cameras'and performing very well, that they offer very good price/performance ratio.
Russian RF, specially 'normal' lenses are clearly cheaper, but any other comparing RF lenses are clearly dearer, Voigtlaender 35mm or 1.4/40 lenses will cost around double or more than Pen-F 1.8/38 and 1.4/40.
From my personal experience I wholeheartedly recommend 1.8/38, 1.4/40, 3.5/100, 1.5/60 very much too but that last one IS pricey, very rare. The wide angle Pen-F 3.5/20, 2.8/25 and 4/25 resolve amazingly well, 'can' produce high IQ with a somewhat vintage look, but their inferior coatings make their use problematic, the newer CV lenses are more universally useable, more reliable.

Nordentro wrote:
....The lens has got a hint of swirly bokeh, love it or hate it Wink
And I guess it's even more visible with APS-C cameras beacause of the bigger sensor.

Because usually I prefer the 1.4/40, which has become one of my, so far, all time favorite lenses I hardly have used the 38mm. But whenever I see beautiful photos like your's that show it's highly individual charms so well I put the 38mm back in my bag and hope that I also can take some photos that do Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

Thx! PEN F(T) lenses are quite good IMO, but also a tad pricey Confused...
...but the deal isn't that good if you look at price/ performance Wink

Actually I consider PEN-F lenses to be budget 'rangefinder-like' lenses, by that I mean just like RF lenses 'small lenses that only require a short adapter on mirrorless digital cameras'and performing very well, that they offer very good price/performance ratio.
Russian RF, specially 'normal' lenses are clearly cheaper, but any other comparing RF lenses are clearly dearer, Voigtlaender 35mm or 1.4/40 lenses will cost around double or more than Pen-F 1.8/38 and 1.4/40.
From my personal experience I wholeheartedly recommend 1.8/38, 1.4/40, 3.5/100, 1.5/60 very much too but that last one IS pricey, very rare. The wide angle Pen-F 3.5/20, 2.8/25 and 4/25 resolve amazingly well, 'can' produce high IQ with a somewhat vintage look, but their inferior coatings make their use problematic, the newer CV lenses are more universally useable, more reliable.

Nordentro wrote:
....The lens has got a hint of swirly bokeh, love it or hate it Wink

Because usually I prefer the 1.4/40, which has become one of my, so far, all time favorite lenses I hardly have used the 38mm. But whenever I see beautiful photos like your's that show it's highly individual charms so well I put the 38mm back in my bag and hope that I also can take some photos that do Wink

I agree if you compare to RF lenses i general Very Happy

Here's a couple of pictures of the gear Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I now have acid flashbacks that make the whole world, like, 4-d - due to your damn 3-d photos. And clarity. I have achieved nirvana through the clarity of these photos. Finally, my wee heart swells of gladness and envy: The Pen FT is my formative camera and the OM-D in your hands sings.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
First off, I now have acid flashbacks that make the whole world, like, 4-d - due to your damn 3-d photos. And clarity. I have achieved nirvana through the clarity of these photos. Finally, my wee heart swells of gladness and envy: The Pen FT is my formative camera and the OM-D in your hands sings.

Thank you so much for the almost poetric and outstanding great feedback regarding my work. Very Happy
I try to do my best, but I´ve also seen my artistic limitations during the years. Laughing

The trick is to take enough pictures to have some decent ones to present!
I´m just struggling to keep up with all the great work presented by the members on the forum. Very Happy

Cheers
Lars

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!! SUPER SERIES! Shocked

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Wow!! SUPER SERIES! Shocked

+1
can't say better

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning images...the first two leave me speechless and then there's more.Being an avid cat chaser/photographer that first one makes my day....purrrfect light,subject. Laughing