Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Undesired aberration, artistic shooters
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Undesired aberration, artistic shooters Reply with quote

Thank you for visiting,

First of all, I would like to thank iangreenhalgh1 for the inspiration for the title -
Quote:
Undesired aberration, artistic shooters
from my original Welmy 28mm 2.5 post on this forum:

http://forum.mflenses.com/my-new-purchase-a-welmy-28mm-25-pentax-pk-mount-t58259,highlight,%2B28mm+%2B2+%2B5.html

This lens was purchased on Sunday 21st April for £5 (about $7.73). It is a Welmy 28mm F2.5 Pentax K mount.

I took the first shots with it last night (Thursday 25th April), and uploaded them to MFLenses (please see above), and as I am only a casual photographer my subjects are not always brilliant, hence I do not post too often.

Anyway, iangreenhalgh1 on my post above about this lens, inspired me to create this thread about Undesired aberration, if you read the posts in the above link you will find written:

Quote:
so what is an undesired aberration to a lens designer is actually a useful feature to an artistic shooter.

Here we have an artistic shot, using the Welmy 28mm F2.5 wide open, ISO 400, 1/400 sec, this has only had the levels auto corrected in Serif Photoplus and nothing else.

As I practice and get used to this particular lens I will post only artistic shots using it here, please also post your 'undesired aberration, artistic shots'.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daffodil. by Mudplugga, on Flickr

The circular bokeh highlights from the Tamron BBAR 85-210 f4.5 can be very distracting and ugly, but sometimes it works to produce a great bokeh. On some pictures it produced donut bokeh and looked like a mirror lens.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy, I like that shot a lot - very nice.

I must get some practice and become a little more than a casual photographer.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Telemegor 180/5.5 is probably my most "artistic" lens ever. It has strange softness, probably coma and is in all respects everything but easy to use, but sometimes the results are very likeable

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atiratha, very nice. I especially like the glow around the young ladies shoulder and on the flowers, awesome stuff.

After seeing these shots, I definitely need practice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, Telemegor glows like crazy till F/8-F/11 but can give you a nice soft focus 80's look. It is this distinct character and the prospect of not being able to sell it for any decent price that I keep it. And practice is always welcome. I need it myself Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea for a thread! I'll have to dig some shots out later.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 - you were the inspiration behind it, so we have you to thank !!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Marco Telephoto 2.8/135: Lens has a marco mode that give soft and glow photo at all apertures.
http://forum.mflenses.com/sun-marco-telephoto-2-8-135-haze-or-reversed-elements-t35954,highlight,%2Bsun.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83, I like that glow, I may well be the only one - but so ghostly. A shame you sold the lens.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some shots with an old projector lens, it's a petzval type, so very sharp in the centre but the sharpness drops off drastically off-centre and the lens isn't anastigmatic - not fully corrected for the major aberrations. Also, it has no iris so dof is rather slender.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1,

They are very sharp and impressive.

Some really great photographs/art already beginning to emerge, I hope you are all pleased with your results!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always room for a Helios 40 picture, no? Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342, if they all look like that then YES Smile

On a serious note though, that is a very nice background, quite eerie especially the white areas.

If it is undesirable then it is welcome most here Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilfitt Panosoft 110/2.8

All on E-M5

C U,
Rafael

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure the dandelion sun is fungus or haze,

it could be,

but it could be just like it is. The dandelion is over-exposed and clipped, and the rest shows smear/glowwww.

Macro mode is a bit like inbuilt bellows on most lenses, it stretches the reserves. Sun lenses dont have many it seems (mine glow as well)

What I dont understand is the lack of green purple CA fringes, and why it doesnt get better when closing aperture. mine did.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f6cvalkyrie, I really like that first image, it is so dreamy (all 3 a very good)

Do you have some more landscape scenes using this lens.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of results of using a wide-open (or almost wide open, I don't remember exactly) Minolta MC Rokkor PG 1.4/50 with an adapter with glass on my sony dslr.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything, wow - that first image is just glowing, awesome stuff Smile

The 2nd is very deceiving and it took me a few seconds to see the glow, probably because of that stunning 1st image.

Sorry, I have fiddled with the 2nd image to make it more intriguing and eerie to my eyes, hope you don't mind.

What do I like on the 2nd image:

We are seeing some great Undesired aberration, artistic shooters, thank you for sharing!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splendid thread,
here are mine

Tamron SP 28-80 f/3.5-4.2

Mamiya/Sekor 50mm f/2.8

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Webwalker, very nice indeed.

I won't do it to every photograph (honest), but the bit that sticks out to my eyes in the poppy photo:

I must have fetish for swirly patterns, and no I have never done any psychedelics.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As asked, a few more from the Panosoft 110/2.8

C U,
Rafael

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

f6cvalkyrie, they are so nice, thank you for sharing!!!

And this is just wow, I wish I could take photographs like this:

It makes me want to leave work, get my camera and go and find an old bridge over some water.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chromatic aberration put to use ...

Auto-Kinor 200/3.3 on Oly E-M5

C U,
Rafael

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f6cvalkyrie wrote:
chromatic aberration put to use ...

Auto-Kinor 200/3.3 on Oly E-M5

C U,
Rafael

You are certainly making the best of what others consider faults, the images you have posted are wonderful. I really like them, they show a great understanding of the lens as a means to get the image you want.