Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Undesired aberration, artistic shooters
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Lloydy, that's one of the nicest comments I ever received on a pic I posted !!!

Have a nice weekend,
Rafael

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens flare put to use

"missile fired from the backyard"

E-M5 "armed" with the 7-14mm Panasonic UWA zoom

C U,
Rafael

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f6cvalkyrie, such astounding images, I like them very much.

I took the Welmy 28mm into the windy garden today, and although I have been advised to not use it wide open, I just love it:

All these were taken wide open at 1/1250s and levels auto adjusted in my Serif program.

This was one that I cropped to see how it looked:

This one was shot wide open at 1/800s

I really do like this Welmy 28mm 2.5 lens, I will have to be more adventurous with it.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very nice images in this thread, but I don't get the title. Some examples rely on softness, others on bokeh, others yet on flare. But these effects are not usually being called "aberrations". I saw a few attempting to exploit chromatic aberrations and I appreciate the attempt, but I think it will be hard to produce really pleasant results.

Softness, flare, bokeh are clearly artistic tools, but chromatic aberrations are hard to exploit for a pleasant effect. That is why we can find digital filters to emulate softness, flare, and bokeh, but filters to emulate CA are a rarity, if they exist at all.

f6cvalkyrie - Great use of those lenses!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurentiu Cristofor, this thread is based on the
Quote:
what is an undesired abberation to a lens designer is actually a useful feature to an artistic shooter
as mentioned by iangreenhalgh1 in the thread I created about the Welmy 28mm 2.5:

http://forum.mflenses.com/welmy-28mm-25-pentax-pk-mount-t58259.html

Quote:
The background is very nice, the smooth swirliness is created by the SA, most 28mm lenses aren't anything like so smooth and swirly.

The halo-like glow on the pine cones is due to the SA too.

So now you know you have very nice smooth and swirly rendering of out of focus areas and a soft warm glow on highlights.

That, to me, is the ingredients for lots of artistic fun, people pay a lot of money for soft focus portrait lenses that use SA to create the look your lens has, so your fiver was well spent.

As the images from the Welmy are without the use of filters and effects (hardware or software), then this thread was created to show off weirdness, by a lens that shouldn't do what it does. If others have examples of strange 'aberrations'
Quote:
An aberration is something that deviates from the normal way
, then they are free to post the images here and it doesn't matter if the 'fault' is bokeh, CA, flare or softness.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zelda_n64 wrote:
Laurentiu Cristofor, this thread is based on the
Quote:
what is an undesired abberation to a lens designer is actually a useful feature to an artistic shooter
as mentioned by iangreenhalgh1 in the thread I created about the Welmy 28mm 2.5:

I see. So the softness is produced by spherical aberration and that extends the aberration term to two of the four effects mentioned.

Quote:
An aberration is something that deviates from the normal way

Yes, but a soft lens is always soft and some lenses were designed to be soft. Also the bokeh of some lenses derives from their design, rather than being an unintended effect. For example: would a mirror lens donut bokeh qualify as aberrant?

Anyway, since you specifically mentioned flare and glow as acceptable examples of aberrations, here are a couple of images:

Flare (Tokina RMC 24/2.Cool:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/5201991019/

Glow (Jupiter 9 85/2 M42):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/5231801091/

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurentiu Cristofor, 2 very nice images. that flare is very impressive.

I don't think my 28mm 2.5 lens was meant to be made soft/glow and there are no indications or scale anywhere on the lens to imply that it is a standard soft focus 28mm lens.

If all mirror lens produce the same style bokeh, then no it wouldn't be wise to post here, if however the mirror lens produces a bokeh that due to a fault in the production of the lens produces a non-standard bokeh then yes, please post.

People do know how a particular brand/size/type of lens will render a photograph and if they don't there are plenty of descriptions & examples on the web. When I purchased this lens, I had no idea f what or how it would render photographs. I expected it to be as my other 28mm lens albeit slightly faster.

I cannot find any information on or about the Welmy. it does perform completely different to all my other lenses and none of them produce any form of glow, and I have tried.

Should the title of this thread be changed to desired aberration or something else, any thoughts would be good.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday May 19 2013, I purchased a Hoya multi-vision adapter with a 55mm thread, I only purchased this for 40 pence ($0.61) because it will fit my Welmy 28mm 2.5, which can only mean loads of abstract fun.

About half an hour ago, I went into the garden and took some shots - the light wasn't amazing but I did use only the natural light that was available to me, no artificial light source was used.

All shots are wide open at about 1/50, these have been resized and the levels have been auto adjusted in my Serif program.

The next 2 have been cropped a little:

Should this lens really be used like this? I don't know, but I am impressed with the unusual effect and can't wait to try it out properly.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zelda_n64 wrote:
Sunday May 19 2013, I purchased a Hoya multi-vision adapter with a 55mm thread, I only purchased this for 40 pence ($0.61) because it will fit my Welmy 28mm 2.5, which can only mean loads of abstract fun.

Should this lens really be used like this? I don't know, but I am impressed with the unusual effect and can't wait to try it out properly.

Great buy there - I love the retro 70s style optical effect. Wonder what would happen if you mounted two of these filters on the lens!