Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

We shall remember them
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: We shall remember them Reply with quote

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice roll and good development, colours are very natural, it seems that you have nailed the procedure now.
I like the contrast between #18 with the expression of the veteran and #20 with the expression of young people.
You can really see it in his gaze that the veteran did experience the war personally, while the two younger guys probably not.

A longer tele may have helped you in leaving the foreground people out of the frame. When I go to such events, I always take
with me a super long tele (like 300mm) in order to avoid what I call the "foreground ghosts" - knowing that often you don't have
the option of moving around to avoid obstacles when you're inside a crowd.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio. #18 shows three men who really did experience the horrors of war. The gentlemen in the red beret was in the Parachute Regiment and fought at Arnhem. I'm not sure about the other two, but the gentleman wearing the sand coloured beret may have been in the SAS as that regiment wears berets of that colour.

I realised I should have taken my Hexanon 200mm or even my Hexanon 300mm after I got there, out of respect, I chose to stand back and be as discrete as possible, sadly this meant I had to stand behind the gathered circle of people and as you see, I was unable to avoid getting some heads in shot. I used two lenses - Hexanons 1.7/50 and 3.2/135, I think the best shots are the ones with the 135. I used my Konica FT-1 as it's a bit quicker to use than my Kiev with Jupiter-11 and external finder. The meter in my FT-1 always seems to read u nder by 1-2 stops so I used my trusty Weston Master III, made in the mid 1950s but still going strong.

On the development, I used the developer from my Fuji Hunt Xpress kit, the batch I have mixed up has done 5 rolls so far so I extended development time from 3:15 to 3:30. I used the old bleach from my Digibase C41 kit (which has done about 12 rolls now but is still fine) and my homebrew sodium thiosulphate fixer. I just filled the kitchen sink with water from the hot tap (approx 45C) and put the tank in the sink (also full of 45C water) as well as the bottle of developer. I left it to cool for a while until it was at 38C then poured the water out of the tank, put the developer in then slowly swirled the tank in the sink in a circular motion for 3:30 then poured it out, put tank under running tap for about 2mins, emptying it out 3 times, then I put the bleach in for 10 mins at room temp, then rinse again, then fixer for 25 mins.

I didn't do any PP on these shots apart from using Auto Colour in Photoshop CS5 to correct a slight magenta cast, but I think the magenta is down to my settings in Vuescan and not an actual cast present on the negatives.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fitting tribute and my favourites are the same as Orio's and for the same reasons.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Skida.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series , long a bit Smile , but I know due roll of the day challenge.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, I'm not really that fond of any of them, I think #4 is the best shot but it's ruined by that big splodge, not sure what that is.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my slides back yesterday. This is my first try with Kodak EliteChrome 100. Unfortunately I forgot to change the ASA setting on the camera from 160 when I loaded the film back in July in Australia, so they were underexposed. The long shadows and bright sun early that Sunday morning made the lighting very difficult as well. I'm disappointed with this effort.

I was playing in the band, so taking shots during the service was impossible - these are mainly before and after. The place is Beaconsfield, about 30m/50k west of London. The camera is my Minolta X-500 and the lens is the MD (Mk III) 3.5/28mm.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is the best series so far with home processing. Would have loved to have been there,
hearing the pipes. Cool Well done, Ian! We have Veteran's Day and Memorial Day over here.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Bill.

Those are very nice Peter, I've been to Beaconsfield a few times, photogenic place.

e6 is better than e6 and this elitechrome looks very nice. I happen to have 10 rolls of it in 120 waiting for summer. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Cheers Bill.

Those are very nice Peter, I've been to Beaconsfield a few times, photogenic place.

e6 is better than e6 and this elitechrome looks very nice. I happen to have 10 rolls of it in 120 waiting for summer. Smile

Thankyou Ian. The scans have a very strong blue cast, as well as being underexposed - it's not possible to project them. It will be interesting to see what you make of it. Anyway, I have one roll left and that will probably be my last Kodak reversal film after using it for 50 years, so it deserves a better effort than this.