Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 500 F8 + Tubes and Doubler comparison
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Tamron SP 500 F8 + Tubes and Doubler comparison Reply with quote

I try to answer Mark's question about using the Mirro lens Tamron SP 500 F8 for Macro works, handheld.
I would day that it is possible to obtain proxiphoto but not real macros.
And it is very difficult to handle.

I tried the lens with Kenko extension tubes on the 5D MkII : 12mm + 20mm + 36mm, wich makes 68mm of tubes added to the lens.
With the extension tubes mini focusing range goes to approx 1m instead of 1.71m.

Then I mounted the Tamron SP 01F doubler on the 500.
I would say that I obtain same picture ratio than with the extension tubes, but at 1.71m min focusing range.
Differences are in the dof, and I found it more easy to manage with the tubes than with the doubler.

Here are the quick samples taken this afternoon with Iso at 800 to gain speed:

1/ with extension tubes

2/ With the 01F doubler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier- you rock! Thanks very much for this!

Looks pretty good! How about a few with donut highlights?!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need light and sun for that... Crying or Very sad
As soon as Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty impressive! It's hard enough to hold that lens for normal shots, let alone macros Laughing

I'm not sure it's possible to get doughnuts when shooting macro with mirror lenses...normally it needs light sources and busy background to produce them in my experience.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
That's pretty impressive! It's hard enough to hold that lens for normal shots, let alone macros Laughing

I'm not sure it's possible to get doughnuts when shooting macro with mirror lenses...normally it needs light sources and busy background to produce them in my experience.

Yo G, if you scroll down in this post, this woman seems to be getting donut highlights with macro work. All you need is specular highlights.

Also FWIW, every macro image I've posted in this forum is hand-held, 99.9% at 100 ISO. It's something I pride myself in.
Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think this lens cuts it for macro. It is simply not sharp enough to reveal the desired detail.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:
I dont think this lens cuts it for macro. It is simply not sharp enough to reveal the desired detail.

agree with that and I think also every cheap and much lighter lens with some extension rings will do a better job for this kind of shots Confused ....but it still be impressive how you can get the right focus with this lens + extension rings Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kram wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

Yo G, if you scroll down in this post, this woman seems to be getting donut highlights with macro work. All you need is specular highlights.

Also FWIW, every macro image I've posted in this forum is hand-held, 99.9% at 100 ISO. It's something I pride myself in.
Embarassed

I think most of those shots aren't real macro shots though Wink But yes, you can get shots of small things with doughnuts in if you have something in the background with highlights (maybe helped with flash or bright light).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
ChromaticAberration wrote:

agree with that and I think also every cheap and much lighter lens with some extension rings will do a better job for this kind of shots Confused ....but it still be impressive how you can get the right focus with this lens + extension rings Shocked

Yes true, but there are times when a long working distance is handy. A high quality macro system is useless if you can't get close enough to your subject

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donuts when adding tubes ?
Maybe they can be obtained with light points slightly in front of or behind the subject

Some other results with tubes, but no donuts, sorry :

It's not the best quality because it's very windy as we're having stormy weather. I set Iso 800 to obtain some speed.
But, they have some artistic rendering. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it can be done, but it is more about isolating the subject and having the right light than the macro side of things.These don't quite show doughnuts but I am sure the more you play around with this lens the better you will understand how to "play" with it.I looked briefly at the other link with the doughnut macros.... does it say what lens she used?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found on my HD some samples, not macro at all but let say proxi shoots....with some visible donuts but I must say at this time, I was not looking to have donuts on the background but rather I was trying to avoid it Rolling Eyes ...

lens used here was the telyt 8/500, the minimum focus distance is about 4meters and it's also much more expensive than the tamron so definitively not the best option for macro shoots...