Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

EBC Fujinon-SW 19mm f/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: EBC Fujinon-SW 19mm f/3.5 Reply with quote

As a spin-off from this thread:

Fujinonuser wrote:

I think we'd all love to see sample shots taken with your Fujinon 19mm.

Here are some old ones I have on the web:

(1.5× crop, digital)

(FF digital)

(FF digital, cropped slightly)

(1.5× crop, digital)

(FF, film)

(FF, digital)

I really ought to shoot some new ones, perhaps I will once things begin to green up come summer.

As general remarks about the lens, it has one of the biggest transitions in sharpness from wide open to stopped down that I've seen in any lens; at first I thought the lens is broken when sharpness was quite poor at f/3.5, but already at f/5.6 is fairly good and at f/8 it can be extremely sharp.

In colour photos on high resolution full frame there's a fairly large amount of colour shift towards the edges of the image. This can be corrected reasonably well in post-processing on digital, and to be fair isn't usually that visible as other than some blurriness on the edges, but it is one aspect where the lens loses to modern ones.

Last edited by Arkku on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colours are very good indeed. Shame this is a rather rare and expensive lens, would fit nicely in my set between my Tokina 17mm and Konica 21mm.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need this one!!!

She fits perfectly in my Fujinon's line - between Fujinon and Fujinon Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful.
I like the #1, and love the lightning #4.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

izvar wrote:
I need this one!!!

I will sell one soon within a few days, look my advertises.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
izvar wrote:
I need this one!!!

I will sell one soon within a few days, look my advertises.

TNX, I'll be careful for your advertises, Atilla...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thunderstorm shot.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s58y wrote:
Great thunderstorm shot.

+1 Amazing shot Shocked ...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
s58y wrote:
Great thunderstorm shot.

+1 Amazing shot Shocked ...

+1 and impressive others!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fine pictures, every one of them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top shots.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for posting. Really impressive pictures, but also indicative of the photographer's exceptional skill.
To be honest, I can't spot colour shift or blur of fine details towards the edges. Are these shots crops?
How do you correct CA in PS or any other PPP?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one from this morning… I considered taking another lens but then I thought that the sunrise colours would be best done with the Fujinon. I'm generally quite bored of the landscape near where I live, but quite like the “cool summer morning” feel (at around 5 o'clock—before I went to sleep).

(FF, f/8)

Last edited by Arkku on Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:40 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fujinonuser wrote:

To be honest, I can't spot colour shift or blur of fine details towards the edges. Are these shots crops?

The ones indicated 1.5× crop are with APS-C-size digital sensor, the ones indicated FF are full frame. Either no or very slight additional cropping has been done… As for the colour shift, if look at details like leaves of trees near the edges of the FF images you can usually see it. It may not be such a big deal most of the time, but it's there, and very noticeable compared to some super-sharp lenses like the Samyang 14mm f/2.8.

Fujinonuser wrote:
How do you correct CA in PS or any other PPP?

I usually just use Aperture and adjust the red/green C/A slider, which seems to help with this lens (usual settings between -0.6 and -0.3). I think there's a similar correction in Adobe Camera Raw. Note that not all of these photos are corrected in such a way, e.g., I don't think any of the APS-C ones are.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those colours look nothing special, the yellow of the wildflowers is quite muted. Composition doesn't work for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely shots arkku, especially the colors, really like them! great lens.
tony

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Those colours look nothing special, the yellow of the wildflowers is quite muted. Composition doesn't work for me.

I have nothing against Arkku, so I think it's a very successful image. I also like the composition and colors. May you please post more images created by you with this lovely lens. Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternative composition without yellow foreground flowers:

Still the same colours, though. =)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I continue this thread instead of opening yet another one ... I hope this is ok. I went out today to test my Fujinon 19mm lens on my first full frame camera (Canon 5D mark 1). For a long time I have been wondering how it would perform on full frame - especially the corners. To my relieve - and quite surprise - it does perform remarkably well! This is a lens is definitely a keeper! The coating is excellent as well (especially considering the age of the lens). The contrast of the pictures is quite to my linking.
Here some pics - all shot at f8 and without any hood on:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lens! I can't spot any CA at the edges or in the tree branches.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you post a full size version of at least one of the images?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find full size samples here: https://picasaweb.google.com/101564429460248850938/Pictures4Forum?authuser=0&feat=directlink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! At full size it's easy to see the coloured fringes on high-contrast details towards the edges (e.g., middle photo, rightmost edge of the white building has a red border on the right, and the leaves of trees against the sky have a blue/green border in every photo), as well as the loss of sharpness in the corners (e.g., grass in lower right corner in every photo). My lens has the same, but I agree that it's still definitely a keeper—colours, contrast, and centre sharpness are all very good.