Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax N1 with CZ Vario Sonnar 3.5-4.5/24-85mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Contax N1 with CZ Vario Sonnar 3.5-4.5/24-85mm Reply with quote

below few images taken with this combo and FUJI Provia 100F Professional, Nikon Coolscan 5000ED and Vuescan ver 9.71 to show how this scanner software performs with OSX 10.7

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow detail? It could be my monitor or the smaller image size.
It looks a touch blocked. Overall these are very nice. #1 is a lovely photo.
Do you think the Nikon Scan software would do better?
These will do quite nicely as a starting point. Normally I go for a more flat beginning scan although, I normally am also scanning B+W negatives.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I really like them Rolf. Great image quality.
I concur with Andy that #3 might need a little touch of shadow recovery. However, in general, I love this kind of strong contrast.
And it fits the subjects well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Andy: Nikon Scan lets you create and save individual user settings so you can have separate scan setups for every type of film you scan.

Basically you can save virtually every available setting in the 'Tool Palette' if the scanner allows it (some aspects may only apply to certain scanner models) along with the film type so you can fine tune parameters like curves, crop size, USM, GEM for example and then reload all those parameters at a later date by either just clicking on the relevant setup in the list in the preview pane or importing whatever setup you need to use from the 'Settings' dropdown menu in the same preview pane.

Last edited by bob955i on Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments.

I tend to darken my images a little bit (may be sometimes too much). I can remeber that I darken the foreground at #3 a little more to have a better contrast against the background.

As pointed out before personally I like more the original Nikon software due to the logical (and better) scan settings and the impact on the results. On the other side with Vuescan you own a software for all type of scanners and if you have different (flatbed etc.) you will be familiarized with this software.

I tried also Silverfast but there was for me too much settings etc. and it was much more complicated.

Wink

Edit. in the meantime Bob explained the difference very well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rolf, as always, both impressive and enjoyable!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, here few other samples with Vuescan from last year I found in my files.

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rolf . Lovely images.

I can see that setting film pre-set profiles would be very nice.
One can do the same in LR or Aperture though so should be an easy work around.
With Aperture i have a preset for Fuji 160s and 400H that works well to adjust the color cast in daylight.
As time goes by i will add new presets occasionally. Its very easy to do in Aperture 3.
When I scan 35mm it usually is B+W (90+ percent of the time).
In that case I just fill up the histogram when scanning. Then set levels in post and do local adjustments.
The Coolscan seems like it will be a nice upgrade from the V700 for 35mm. That may get me shooting 35mm more often and even in color. Smile

Appreciate the thread topic. It looks like no matter how you slice it.... The Vuescan SW is a workable solution to use the Coolscan scanners with iOS systems.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Thanks Rolf . Lovely images.

I can see that setting film pre-set profiles would be very nice.
One can do the same in LR or Aperture though so should be an easy work around.
With Aperture i have a preset for Fuji 160s and 400H that works well to adjust the color cast in daylight.
As time goes by i will add new presets occasionally. Its very easy to do in Aperture 3.
When I scan 35mm it usually is B+W (90+ percent of the time).
In that case I just fill up the histogram when scanning. Then set levels in post and do local adjustments.
The Coolscan seems like it will be a nice upgrade from the V700 for 35mm. That may get me shooting 35mm more often and even in color. Smile

Appreciate the thread topic. It looks like no matter how you slice it.... The Vuescan SW is a workable solution to use the Coolscan scanners with iOS systems.

When I started scanning some of my old stuff I was blown away by how good a job the 8000 made and the V should be every bit as good. I don't think you'll be disappointed.