Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony New cameras - A65 & A77 and NEX 5N & NEX 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Sony New cameras - A65 & A77 and NEX 5N & NEX 7 Reply with quote

Sony announces few cameras today:

Both A65 and A77 are SLT (Translucent Mirror Technolog) cameras. Running on 24MP APS CMOS. A77 ISO from 100 to 25600.
More news: http://dpreview.com/news/1108/11082420sonyslta77preview.asp
Reviews: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA77/AA77A.HTM

Full specs: A77: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sonyslta77/page2.asp

NEX 7 also using same sensor as A65/A77, therefore also 24MP. ISO 100-16000.
More news: http://dpreview.com/news/1108/11082419sonynex7overview.asp

NEX 5N - using a 16.1MP CMOS sensor. ISO 100-25600.
Preview: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sonynex5n/

Last edited by my_photography on Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony is definitely pushing the envelope with the NEX-7 but I don't know about cramming 24MP on a APS-C sensor not to mention the ISO16000. All this reflects on the price which is on par with medium range DSLR's...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very detailed review, comparison between sensors are enlightening
I still want a review for the evolution of microlens for wideangle

Last edited by poilu on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really looking forward to the Nex-5N with the viewfinder Smile I reckon 16MP is about right.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the NEX5N + viewfinder and the NEX7, both come very close to my dream camera. make it FF and it is Wink
I much like the viewfinder to be tiltable, for me a real plus for the 5N. When using manual lenses the superior controls of the NEX7 may not be all that important.
The viewfinder sticking out may make the camera feel very delicate though, the superior build quality of the NEX7 must make for a higher quality feel too

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also waiting for the day they come out with FF NEX. Hopefully Sony will come out with its next generation FF (DSLR or ALT) next year. Perhaps then we will see a FF NEX.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all hoped for FF - but perhaps next year

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious to see so much craving for FF sensors since most of us will never need that much detail in a picture (ex.: for printings).

I know this is a bit offtopic but.. why get a more expensie FF sensor? Just for the resolution? Will it it be that noticeable "on a flickr gallery"?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:
Curious to see so much craving for FF sensors since most of us will never need that much detail in a picture (ex.: for printings).

I know this is a bit offtopic but.. why get a more expensie FF sensor? Just for the resolution? Will it it be that noticeable "on a flickr gallery"?

Laughing yes +1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the field of view I've always desired, any extra pixels is gravy. Also, displaying on flickr is not an end for many.

Not to white wash you, but many people who bring this up have not considered the depth of field differences between APS-C and FF. It has been covered very thoroughly, but to highly simplify - an example:

Because field of view is cropped with smaller sensors, one must stand farther back from one's subject then with an equivalent lens on a FF, thus limiting depth of field options.

Kelly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A FF sensor with the same density would be 40MP!!!

In ten years, a long time to you youing farts, but to us old farts, just around the corner, an APS sensor will have 100MP. And folks will still be screaming for an FF sensor. They are already here, Canon, Nikon and Sony and have problems with wide angle lenses!!

As Attila says, the micro-lenses are the key, just not at Leica prices!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if it is for a flickr gallery, its the decision of the user who will pay for it in the end

Out of the millions of people out there who use a camera, how many actually print the pictures on full size? Obviously a small percentage.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't mind if Sony uses the current A900/A850 24MP FF sensor to produce a FF NEX.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pat donnelly wrote:
...folks will still be screaming for an FF sensor. They are already here, Canon, Nikon and Sony and have problems with wide angle lenses!!

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.I have no problems with wide lenses on FF, and the IQ is much better than that of crop sensors.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, does the nex7 have Live View or not? I dont see any mention of LV on the site

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666375235#additionalImage1"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pat donnelly wrote:

In ten years,..., an APS sensor will have 100MP.

I hope I will have jumped off the wagon by then.
Let's hope that you still can get reasonable sensors then to replace broken old cams. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pat donnelly wrote:
A FF sensor with the same density would be 40MP!!!

Sorry to nit-pick. A FF sensor with the same density will be 55MP, since
Sony sensor has 1.53 crop factor, NEX7's effective pixel count is 24.3M.

Hari wrote:
Btw, does the nex7 have Live View or not? I dont see any mention of LV on the site

Sony's site in japanese says there is Live View mode with NEX7 out of
many display modes available with this new cam.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nit picking is fine, thanks! Embarassed Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.I have no problems with wide lenses on FF, and the IQ is much better than that of crop sensors.

Most film SLR wides are long register retrofocal designs and will do nicely on FF sensors - the more if they have very long register mounts like Nikon F. But short register (rangefinder) wides don't do at all on sensors - Leica had to recalculate their wide end to use retrofocus when they released the M9, and film age legacy Leica wides perform rather poorly in spite of using a microlens array on the sensor and electronic correction in the firmware.

FWIW, short register wides only work on crop sensors as and if they are relatively normal there due to the smaller sensor - with wides with similar angular coverage on the smaller sensor, you'll face the same problems as on FF, a 15mm on APS-C fares no better than a 24mm on FF.

Personally I'd be all over a FF EVIL. Not so much for image quality - the sensor technology is the same, and at current resolutions there are only a few print sizes somewhere between very big and honking big that sit in the gap between APS and medium or large format. A FF would simply make much better use out of my existing manual focus primes (which don't exist in crop format shortness).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:

Sony's site in japanese says there is Live View mode with NEX7 out of
many display modes available with this new cam.

It is a EVIL camera - having no SLR or optical finder, live view is the only mode it has...