Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First impressions with my NEX-C3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: First impressions with my NEX-C3 Reply with quote

Well, after a short while with the NEX-3, being very satisfied with the performance, I decided to upgrade to the NEX-C3, with the expectations that the new sensor would perform similar to the one in the K5 and the D7000.

The camera is really nice. It fits properly in the hand, the grip has been improved with a little bump at the thumb level that improves the grasp.

The hood from the NEX-5 and later from the NEX-3 is also compatible with the C3.

I set the charger with the new battery that was coming with the cam. Whilst it was charging, I took a clonic one that I had from the NEX-3 and put it into the cam. Switch on, LCD ligths and asks for date and time.

In a few seconds, a popup appears telling something like "Use a compatible battery" and the camera shuts off. The battery was fine, I used it in the NEX-3 past weeks during our trip to Italy.

Wait until the new battery is fully charged and repeat the process. This time the cam started up properly and I was able to set the preferences. I've found no references to this in the net. Has SONY done the same Panasonic did with the G1? (I mean, tweaking the firmware to not to accept any non Panasonic battery).

Next was taking some shots. Copied to the laptop. Start LR 3.4.1 but it doesn't recognize the RAWs from this cam. Neither does Adobe DNG Converter.

So tonight will try to install the SONY programs to be able to watch the shots, or maybe I'd have to repeat the tests shooting in .JPG.

More coming.
Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats with the new toy, looks slim Smile

Can you verify if it has an improvement in vignetting and color shift with wide angle rf lenses?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Can't wait to see some pics... Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes, did you have this camera when you were here, or the previous one?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Jes!

If Sony restricted the batteries to original ones, it would be a shame.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats Jes! the new sensor should give better borders on wide
try the new button called 'magic', don't look at the lcd, just close your eyes, the Nex will find people, wait they smile and take the pic Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
try the new button called 'magic', don't look at the lcd, just close your eyes, the Nex will find people, wait they smile and take the pic Laughing

No, the ASF (automatic subject finder) will only be included in the NEX-7. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
Congrats with the new toy, looks slim Smile

Can you verify if it has an improvement in vignetting and color shift with wide angle rf lenses?

Thanks!,
Yes, of course. As soon as I can view the RAWs Wink

Riku wrote:
Congratulations! Can't wait to see some pics... Smile

Thanks, Rikku. If it is as I expect, it will last with me longer than the previous ones Wink

Orio wrote:
Jes, did you have this camera when you were here, or the previous one?

No, Orio. That was the NEX-3, it was a little thicker than this and lower resolution (12Mp vs 16Mp). I really don't care about that huge Mp count, 8Mp are more than enough to me. But the sensor seems to be really good. Both are quite similar, just a few improvements. A separate location for the battery and the SD card, lower consumption (it's reported to last a 30% more, around 450 shots).

LucisPictor wrote:
Congratulations, Jes!

If Sony restricted the batteries to original ones, it would be a shame.

Thanks, Carsten.
Yes, I was delighted with the compatibility: I carried the same batteries from the NEX-5 to the NEX-3 first, and expected to do the same with this one...

poilu wrote:

Thanks Poilu!
I doubt I even try that function. On my previous NEX-5 and NEX-3 I never used most of the extended capabilities like the video, (i.e.).
Only "M" and "A" modes and the "pano" shooting, that is nice for travelling.

LucisPictor wrote:
poilu wrote:

No, the ASF (automatic subject finder) will only be included in the NEX-7. Wink

What a relief, Carsten Wink

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

No, Orio. That was the NEX-3, it was a little thicker than this and lower resolution (12Mp vs 16Mp).

Jes.

Hi,
Jes, if I'm not mistaking Nex-3 has the same sensor as NEX-5 (and some other sony DSLR A450/A550), and it's 14Mpx Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTI wrote:
Jesito wrote:

No, Orio. That was the NEX-3, it was a little thicker than this and lower resolution (12Mp vs 16Mp).

Jes.

Hi,
Jes, if I'm not mistaking Nex-3 has the same sensor as NEX-5 (and some other sony DSLR A450/A550), and it's 14Mpx Smile

You're right, I confused the cams... 14 vs 16Mpix.

On the other hand, I've found that Rawtherapy seems to process the C3 RAW pictures properly, I'll try to confirm this tonight.
If it's so, then I'd be unlocked.

Regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes, you might be interested in this very long and detailed thread on fmforums

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1030741/0

To summarize: the sensor is the same (as stated by dxomark), but probably has a new microlens design as performance in corners with wa lenses is much better than the previous NEX models; highlights are a bit tricky; RPP if you have an OSX system is able to process the raw files, it works great and is free

http://www.raw-photo-processor.com/RPP/

Enjoy your new toy! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congratulations on your new camera Jesito, it looks sweet.
Is that LCD hood from Sony, or a third party?

great news of the 'microlens design sensor', and great link, thank you ludoo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
Jes, you might be interested in this very long and detailed thread on fmforums

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1030741/0

To summarize: the sensor is the same (as stated by dxomark), but probably has a new microlens design as performance in corners with wa lenses is much better than the previous NEX models; highlights are a bit tricky; RPP if you have an OSX system is able to process the raw files, it works great and is free

http://www.raw-photo-processor.com/RPP/

Enjoy your new toy! Smile

Thanks, Ludoo!.
I'll look for RPP, hope there is a version for OSX PPC 10.5. My only Mac is the Ibook G4 that I repaired not long ago.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
congratulations on your new camera Jesito, it looks sweet.
Is that LCD hood from Sony, or a third party?

great news of the 'microlens design sensor', and great link, thank you ludoo

Thanks Kwwan,

No, the hood is third party. I got it for the NEX-5, then used it with the NEX-3 and now with the C3.

A pity that Sony isn't gi¡ving a similar solution. Luckily it's cheap. Smile

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Jesito, good to know

I believe there is an original Sony hood being sold in Japan but for a ridiculously high price

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes, have you sold NEX3, if not yet, its interesting to compare both

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like the new camera, but where are all the controls? I take it that it does have A, S, M modes buried in a menu?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
Jes, have you sold NEX3, if not yet, its interesting to compare both

Sorry, I did sell it and the 16mm pancake to buy the C3...

Regards.
Jes.

Last edited by Jesito on Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:31 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Glad you like the new camera, but where are all the controls? I take it that it does have A, S, M modes buried in a menu?

Hi Martin,
(I always think of you when I pick my silver Jupiter-9 Wink ).

Controls are all software controls, once you get used to it is not so dramatic. I blamed a lot at the beginning, but now I feel fine.
To me has some advantages: You don't push any button by accident Wink
That happened to me too often on the G1 and still happens on the E-P1.
On the NEX, the A, P, M, etc. wheel is one of the six icons you get on the LCD when you press "Menu". This three button system was well engineered in my opinion. Most functions are gotten by two button presses, options are choiced turning the control wheel (around the menu button).
Now I'm used to it and feel it even comfortable.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jes

Do you have the 16/2.8 at all? I'm thinking of selling my Nex-5 in anticipation of the new Nex-5n being released, but would like to know if the pancake performs better on the Nex-3c in the corners...if not, I'll sell that as well and put it towards the EVF Smile

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Hi Jes

Do you have the 16/2.8 at all? I'm thinking of selling my Nex-5 in anticipation of the new Nex-5n being released, but would like to know if the pancake performs better on the Nex-3c in the corners...if not, I'll sell that as well and put it towards the EVF Smile

Thanks

I'm sorry, I sold it as a part of the "financials" to get the C3.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries!