Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-9: Wide open sample
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Jupiter-9: Wide open sample Reply with quote

I decided to take out the old J-9 following a recent topic on the pentaxforums and I had forgotten how well this lens performed.

Here's a snap taken at f/2(wide open) which may be a little to warm(WB) but I though really showed what this lens could do. Though I do think the OOF rendering on the hands are a bit of a distraction.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a superb portrait at an interesting angle and you totally nailed the focus Smile Is this the alu version? Looks nice and contrasty.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, excelent portrait. Very natural. I watch the pic and see the beatiful child, not a pic of the child.

The J-9. How much I miss it !!!!!! My old and all black 1971 J-9.

If I have to chose THE lens for me, without any doubt, The J-9.

Only one con, a little warm in my taste. But with a minimal PP tonal correction, is OK.

Congrats John. You have a real gem.

A little suggest, if you let me do it. Don't sell it. Don't you use it regularity? Not matter. Have it. You will be happy for that, sometimes.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent sample of this lens! That is incredibly sharp for wide open.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very lovely image. Well done!

Do you have a newer MC Jupiter 9 or older uncoated? What year?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful portrait.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! great portrait and superb J9 you got

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful shot! it's shots like these that make me keep my eyes peeled for a J9 for myself.
The warmth of the shot doesn't bother me much at all, i really love this portrait.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
John, excelent portrait. Very natural. I watch the pic and see the beatiful child, not a pic of the child.

The J-9. How much I miss it !!!!!! My old and all black 1971 J-9.

If I have to chose THE lens for me, without any doubt, The J-9.

Only one con, a little warm in my taste. But with a minimal PP tonal correction, is OK.

Congrats John. You have a real gem.

A little suggest, if you let me do it. Don't sell it. Don't you use it regularity? Not matter. Have it. You will be happy for that, sometimes.

Rino.

Hello again, and thanks(to everyone) for all the positive encouragement.

Fact is, I sort of knew the image was too warm from get-go, but... since I lacked the confidence to adjust it, I thought I'd wait and see what others would say about it. Having said that... I really want to get passed this tendency and work toward realistic skin tones, and so I've decided to make it a mission to work on this as an objective in my own photography. - So thanks for the push in that direction

As for the lens, this Jupiter is my 3'rd Jupiter lens that I tried in an effort to find a good one. It is one of the newer MC black versions and by far the best of the batch. The funny thing is, I was actually looking for an oil free version in my search and never bothered to test sharpness. However... this one had oil on the blades and it was a complete fluke that I discovered how sharp it was wide open. - Otherwise, it was almost sold in favor of another due to the oily blades!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb shot! Congrats on the good copy of J9, too! My advise: hold on to it. Good copies of this lens are hard to find.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very sharp indeed...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too warm? - not for me. Warmth is exactly what you want to convey in this photo. Lovely little girl and excellent photo.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job on the focus. It doesn't look too warm for this style of photo.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur: I don't see the warm color cast (I don't seem to be sensitive for that), for me this is just a perfect photo. Well done John!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely portrait!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful child, superb foto.
Prices on J9 will go just a bit higher from now Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am missing something here.

1. It better be sharp wide open if it's widest aperture is f/2.0.
2. I think that many lenses perform as well.
3. While nice, I need something much faster.
4. The variability in quality, between serial numbers, as it is being mentioned, worries me. I won't be running out and getting one. I think I may have a faster lens that performs as well.
5. The real question for me is how much you paid for it. Still I won't be getting one, as I have lenses that perform just as well or better.
6. Po' man's portrait lens----I better not be that poor.

Sorry to play devil's advocate. I think I have this one covered. Not fast enough.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
I concur: I don't see the warm color cast (I don't seem to be sensitive for that), for me this is just a perfect photo. Well done John!

Hi, I should have updated the thread, but I cooled the image down a bit since it was initially posted.

And many-thanks, for the encouragement. Smile

newton wrote:
I am missing something here.

1. It better be sharp wide open if it's widest aperture is f/2.0.
2. I think that many lenses perform as well.
3. While nice, I need something much faster.
4. The variability in quality, between serial numbers, as it is being mentioned, worries me. I won't be running out and getting one. I think I may have a faster lens that performs as well.
5. The real question for me is how much you paid for it. Still I won't be getting one, as I have lenses that perform just as well or better.
6. Po' man's portrait lens----I better not be that poor.

Sorry to play devil's advocate. I think I have this one covered. Not fast enough.

Based on what I've read, I'd say yes.

1. I have a few 85's(and shorter) and sharp lenses bellow 2.8 are not as common as they should be.
2. Yes, but not under $200 Smile
3. I initially said I payed 250 for it it, but a closer look at the auction revealed it was closer to 200(shipped). This particular lens was advertised as NIB which made it more expensive. But as I was looking for a collectors item, I didn't mind paying the extra fee for it. The average price for the J-9 atm seems to be around $130 on eBay.

FTR. I've owned a few 85mm portrait lenses, ex. Takumar 1.8 that wasn't anywhere the IQ at f/2. Plus I payed far more for it. On a side note, I think Canon has some fairly affordable 85mm glass out there, but I don't know how it compares to the J-9 in terms of IQ.

At any rate, the only alternative I would consider reasonable would be one of the Samyang 85/1.4 variants. Though I don't know how it compares to the J-9 in terms of OOF rendering, I have heard really good things about it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your portrait is lovely! The model, but also the composition are great and you sure have a great lens.

Said that, I'd agree with one of newton's point: the variability in quality also worries me, compared to the price of the lens... OK, the good ones (and based on the above sample, yours is among these) are *really* stunning, but the average price is too high for the risk, IMHO.

When it comes to the alternative: the Samyang looks more reliable in terms of quality: nicer than the worse Jup-9's, worse than the best ones. The Canon 1.8 (with AF) looks to be very good.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ylyad wrote:
Said that, I'd agree with one of newton's point: the variability in quality also worries me, compared to the price of the lens... OK, the good ones (and based on the above sample, yours is among these) are *really* stunning, but the average price is too high for the risk, IMHO.

Its true, and I knew this when I chose to commit to finding a J-9 of my own on eBay. The initial mistake I made however, was that where I thought that oil on the blades was a bad thing. However... I learned that they mostly all develop this over time and that it's rarely an issue.
- I've found this to be the case with the 37A's also(came clean, but developed oil in time).

Short story is, I shopped around and found two copies for under 100. Then, I dropped 200 dollars for a NIB copy(which I didn't mind doing). The good news out of all this however, is that it was not necessary to pay a premium for a good performer. And that its quite acceptable to expect a good copy under 100 dollars on eBay.

FTR, the main reason I was so insistent on getting a good J-9 was a direct consequence of the images I'd see posted from it. And though, there are plenty of portrait lenses to be had, there are not many that seem to have the characteristics that the Jupiter-9 have.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. And....

7. Most of them seem to be far away, like the Ukraine. (Is this a Russian lens?). I only know one person in the Ukraine. She is a model and I don't think has that kind of money.

I agree it is too risky. Kudos to yourself. I still need something super fast. It is uncommon to find many fast lenses for under $200. If it were a faster lens, I might be interested in asking her or paying the risk, as well as risky shipping.

I am glad I bought a more expensive lens that is faster, which is what I was really needing. Too bad this isn't under f/2.8. Hopefully now there will be a plethora of them popping up in the States and the prices will drop as the Russian eBayer's start importing or smuggling them over. (j/k) It is just too risky and other lenses are safer, not to mention way faster, for what I and most everyone I know's needs. Nice pic! Congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wowww, that is sharp!

I had black non MC J-9 with front element not in mint condition. Looks hazy & glow at wide open, especially if there's too many light. So I dont use it much. I got it from local market for about $100.

Currently my silver J-9 and the black MC are on the way from eBay. I'll compare all three before I keep the best one and sold the two.

The J-9 is the first manual lens that ignited my addiction to manual lens Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:
..............I'll compare all three before I keep the best one and sold the two..................

Nice to see your future job. Please, share it.

Thanks.

Rino

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
nixland wrote:
..............I'll compare all three before I keep the best one and sold the two..................

Nice to see your future job. Please, share it.

Thanks.

Rino

I'll surely do.
Previously I plan to buy only the MC but in some review it is said that the MC is softer and the silver is sharper. Some other said otherwise.
So to eliminate my confusion I buy both Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnBee wrote:
However... this one had oil on the blades and it was a complete fluke that I discovered how sharp it was wide open. - Otherwise, it was almost sold in favor of another due to the oily blades!

Maybe we all need to oil the blades of our J-9's to get better sharpness. Laughing