Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best and cheapes m42 lenses for my Sony
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Best and cheapes m42 lenses for my Sony Reply with quote

Looking to upgrade my collections of m42 lenses for few more good and cheap lenses. So far I have this :

Helios m44 2
Helios m44-2 2
Photax 135mm 2.8

What else I should buy? By saying cheap I mean something around 20-50 dollars Smile I a poor person Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the camera you are using?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and what range do you need? I see you have 50mm and 135mm, I suggest You find wide lens like vivitar 28/2,5 cheap but great performance

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony A-300 and Nikon D7000
I had one topic before about what i can have for both cameras but now I'm really interested about m42 lenses...
Dunno if,and what I can do with Nikon but I'm sure theres is allot for Sony Smile
What I'm looking for is one more good portrait lens maybe macro lens and zoom something around 80-200 or even more all cheap as I can get Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron Adaptall 80-210/3.8-4 103a with an m42 mount.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you?

In North America, Sears and Vivitar M42 lenses are inexpensive, plentiful, and decent. I can't speak for the rest of the world. In Europe you should be able to get Meyer/Pentacon, Enna, the Russians, not to mention Zeiss.

And there's the question to ask before going on a spending spree: WHAT DO I WANT TO DO THAT I CAN'T DO WITH WHAT I HAVE? The answer(s) should inform your decisions.

Maybe you'll want ultrawide / fishy -- a Zenitar 16/2.8 fits the bill. For from-the-hip shots in bright situations, try a Tokina 21/3.8 variously labeled as Vivitar, Soligor, Lentar, etc -- stop it down to f/11 and prefocus to 2m for DOF from 1m to infinity. For more 'normal' framing, Tamron and Vivitar 24's and 28's are good, as are Vivitar and Isco and Porst 35's. You already have two 58's, but a Takumar or Yashinon or other 50/1.4 is handy in low light. Vivitar and Tamron macros around 90-105mm are great, as is the magical Meyer Trioplan 100/2.8. Out beyond 135mm are the longer teles -- Vivitar 200/3.5's (various models) are good, and the tiny cheap Tele-Takumar 200/5.6 is great.

But availability and price of any of these may depend on your location.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
Where are you?

In North America, Sears and Vivitar M42 lenses are inexpensive, plentiful, and decent. I can't speak for the rest of the world. In Europe you should be able to get Meyer/Pentacon, Enna, the Russians, not to mention Zeiss.

And there's the question to ask before going on a spending spree: WHAT DO I WANT TO DO THAT I CAN'T DO WITH WHAT I HAVE? The answer(s) should inform your decisions.

Maybe you'll want ultrawide / fishy -- a Zenitar 16/2.8 fits the bill. For from-the-hip shots in bright situations, try a Tokina 21/3.8 variously labeled as Vivitar, Soligor, Lentar, etc -- stop it down to f/11 and prefocus to 2m for DOF from 1m to infinity. For more 'normal' framing, Tamron and Vivitar 24's and 28's are good, as are Vivitar and Isco and Porst 35's. You already have two 58's, but a Takumar or Yashinon or other 50/1.4 is handy in low light. Vivitar and Tamron macros around 90-105mm are great, as is the magical Meyer Trioplan 100/2.8. Out beyond 135mm are the longer teles -- Vivitar 200/3.5's (various models) are good, and the tiny cheap Tele-Takumar 200/5.6 is great.

But availability and price of any of these may depend on your location.

I'm based in U.K. (also Poland)
What I want to shoot is hardly specified cus I'm a beginner in all "old lenses" business Smile
Definitely want good/cheap portrait lens for good light conditions and poor such as clubs, pubs, churches,
Cheap fish eye will be nice tho.
Macro, for all kind a shots in garden, flowers etc.
And ofc zoom lens for taking those wicked pictures.
After all I have 55mm 1.8 VR for my Nikon and 18-200 3.5 Sigma for Sony witch to be fair are ok.
In future I will think about setting up a studio cus for now I'm still a "virgin-photographer" but think all going on good way to be little bit better then some guys here in my city Smile

Question out of range if for example I will go for few lenses what RioRico said can I attach them to Nikon D7000 body too ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, few, if any, of the models that have been suggested can be purchased between $20-$50 Rolling Eyes Unless of course you get extreme lucky, steal someone who does not know how much (s)he could sell it for, or you can stand a lens in bad shape (fungi, dents, etc.).

The problem these days is that sellers already understood this "old lenses" game, it is not easy to find bargains at all, people are selling all the popular models for crazy prices. I mean, the prices are always bargains if we compare the ratio quality-price with the lenses these days but still.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sankor 105mm f2.5 is a very good portrait/ short tele and inexpensive.
Usually between 40 - 60$

You can buy bellows or macro rings for your Helios for macro work Wink
10$ or less Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, the Tamron I suggested will cost you about $15 and an adapter is probably another $30...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Um, the Tamron I suggested will cost you about $15 and an adapter is probably another $30...

I already ordered last night Smile
15.00 for lens +4.00 post Haha Smile thx for that
Any sugestion about witch cheap telezoom I should get ? This one is tricky cus I wish I can use it on Sony and Nikon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Tamron will fulfil your tele-zoom lens for a while. An ~80mm prime lens for M42 or Nikon mount is very expensive. If you find that you are using the longer lengths more then there are many more very cheap 135mm and 200mm lenses.

That Zenitar fisheye is usually around 120 now so a bit expensive, if you want a very high quality wideangle I would get a Nikkor 24/2.8 AI. There's a slightly battered one for 50 in a UK shop I can link you to. Most 3rd party 24mm lenses cost more than that now unless you're lucky.

For macro to start with I'd recommend getting a set of m42 extension rings, you can find a set of 3 for 5 easily enough and put them on a 50mm lens. There are many 50mm lenses to chose from for very little, I'd recommend trying a few out so that you can get the feel for the different rendering and build construction of the lens manufacturers.

As you are also in Poland, I'd consider looking at street markets for lenses as I suspect there are lots of bargains there and probably an abundance of East German/Russian lenses.