Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cinque Terre preview
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Cinque Terre preview Reply with quote

Every time I take a photo like this one, I thank God for 1) being able to see such beauty and 2) owning a Hollywood Distagon to transform it into art

The complete series in some days - too busy with work now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
+1
patrickh

+2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is so special, to feel lucky for seeing a natural beauty.
I know how it feels and I think it cannot be described...

Orio, I can't wait for more shots...
I wish you had my 17mm tilt-shift with you Razz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I wanted this image to be blinding with light. Like Gustave Le Grey's old marine prints, but even stronger if possible:

I know that many will consider this a wrong image, because I deliberatedly ignored to make a balanced exposure (I have other takes with that, besides), but that is what I wanted to make.

The Distagon did give me an image that is completely free of any parasites or bad flare. Which I still find difficult to believe as I was pointing directly to the sunlight. Yet the image is completely clean. But more than that: the fade of the highlight, into the normal light, is so sweet, and seamless, that I could watch it for hours, and keep being delighted.

We often are asked opinion on the lenses, often confronted with MTFs, and things like that. But how can you explain the result of this photograph with an MTF? You can't. You just have to see it. This is what makes the difference between a good or very good lens, and a masterpiece lens: faced to a mundane task, the champion and the good player may look alike; but when you have to play the toughest of music, or when you have to play the most difficult sport action, the champion comes in, because the situation is such that maybe many can make it, but only a champion can get past it with world class. I think this is one of those images.
I claim myself the merit to have envisioned it, but I probably wouldn't have gotten too far in the realization of my design if I didn't have this champion lens to play it perfectly for me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best of all is that you returned so full of satisfaction.

Regarding the specific photograph, I think it is a case that calls for HDR.
The lack of detail in the highlights (esp. in the water) is a negative for me.
But with 1/5000sec and 28mm it is easy to do a handheld exposure for HDR.
I was reluctant at first too, but give it a try next time and you will remember me.

An example, the village I come from (HDR, handheld, Canon 17mm TS)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nkanellopoulos wrote:

Sorry, Nikos, but not for me. HDR shows more but it kills my imagination, and in front of my picture above, I would like the viewer to dream, not to pick details.

There is also a more technical reason why not: the black in the vegetation helps to visually define the brightness of the sunlight, to make it feel more blinding.
It's not different from painting, the tones you put on a photograph do not exist only by themselves, they interact.

I know, much in a photo like this seems impromptu, but behind it there's more calculation and experience than it may seem at first sight Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
nkanellopoulos wrote:

Sorry, Nikos, but not for me. HDR shows more but it kills my imagination, and in front of my picture above, I would like the viewer to dream, not to pick details.

There is also a more technical reason why not: the black in the vegetation helps to visually define the brightness of the sunlight, to make it feel more blinding.
It's not different from painting, the tones you put on a photograph do not exist only by themselves, they interact.

I know, much in a photo like this seems impromptu, but behind it there's more calculation and experience than it may seem at first sight Wink

You are the boss in your photography Wink

The more you explain your intention, the more attractive I find the photo!
I just have a different approach. I want to be as true to my eyes as possible.
It is true that, often, this is not the most creative approach.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous pictures I love them both!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nkanellopoulos wrote:

The more you explain your intention, the more attractive I find the photo!
I just have a different approach. I want to be as true to my eyes as possible.
It is true that, often, this is not the most creative approach.

Thanks Nikos. I think that every photo has it's own road to make. There are photos that require the details, and photos that don't. Smile
Actually, it's better phrased this way: there are photos that need to show all, and photos that need some mystery.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a civilized and intelligent discussion about two really first rate pictures. Personally I have limited creative imagination and so I try for technical creativity (if there is such a thing). Thanks to both of you

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done Orio and I fully understand what you had in mind
to shoot it that way. You transformed that vision nicely into reality!
This is what I call artistic work.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Klaus, much appreciated!
We try to stretch our limits, sometimes we succeed, sometimes no Smile

Patrick, don't say so, I know you eye is trained to see the beautiful, so you are not fooling me Wink