Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Field report shots with the Planar 1.4/85!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Field report shots with the Planar 1.4/85! Reply with quote

These shots belong to the field report: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,101198.html#101198

Camera: Canon EOS 40D

Last edited by LucisPictor on Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots, Carsten, they show very well the personality of this excellent lens!.
I love the soft bokeh of #1, and in general the colour and sharpness.
The 40D is a good companion for it!. Wink
Thanks for sharing!

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camera: Canon EOS 50e
Film: Fuji ISO 200

A.
Large

B.
Large

C.
Large

D.
Large

E.
Large

F.
Large

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

impressive samples Carsten!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chromatic aberrations seem virtually non-existent even in the high contrast situations. That's very good.

So how does it feel the automatic aperture?
It shold be possible to also use TP (time priority) with this lens, isn't it?
That would be a great benefit over using a Contax version with adapter (I am thinking about live events)

I don't understand the Nikon thing - is there someone else (or the self timer) who took your picture using the Planar on a Canon? Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
So how does it feel the automatic aperture?

It's not too bad. You set the aperture with the control wheel of the Canon.

Orio wrote:
It shold be possible to also use TP (time priority) with this lens, isn't it?
That would be a great benefit over using a Contax version with adapter (I am thinking about live events)

I must admit, I have not tried it. I never use it.
But I think it is possible.

Orio wrote:
I don't understand the Nikon thing - is there someone else (or the self timer) who took your picture using the Planar on a Canon? Smile

Sorry, I should have explained this shot.
It was taken by a good friend of mine with the Planar on the Canon to show the excellent possibilities you have with such a narrow DoF.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Nice report! Seems they not forgot they knowledge, still produce superb lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I really wish a copy of this lens Sad

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me to... but I would need M42 or at least SA mount Confused

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Wow! Nice report! Seems they not forgot they knowledge, still produce superb lenses.

Yeah, Cosina make some great lenses nowadays Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The links to 'Large' all give me an error:

This page is private.

Oops! You don't have permission to view this page.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The samples here give a nicely crisp, detailed result with good saturation and microcontrast in the foreground or subject areas. No obvious signs of abberations, at the sizes posted here. There is perhaps a little of the 'Zeiss blue/gray' colour cast (compared to Nikkors).

The out of focus areas are not bad, mostly there is little to no edge doubling or 'squirminess'. OOF highlights seem fairly well controlled.

I'd be interested to see a comparison with the Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AIS or the AF-D (in manual mode).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten, you have to be pleased with the 50e results, very nice! Cool

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
Attila wrote:

Yeah, Cosina make some great lenses nowadays Laughing

Laughing I remember ... Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine samples of a clearly magnificent lens Carsten.
@Chris = I have a Cosina made Voigtlander which is one of my best lenses and rivals anything I have by nikon for quality and build.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Fine samples of a clearly magnificent lens Carsten.
@Chris = I have a Cosina made Voigtlander which is one of my best lenses and rivals anything I have by nikon for quality and build.

patrickh

Yeah that was kind of my point Patrick. The Voigtländer and Zeiss lenses are both made by Cosina; both are excellently made.

Last edited by ChrisLilley on Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: ZE vs ZK, ZM, ZS Reply with quote

I notice the ZE version looks different than that other T*85 releases. I also noted on my ZK, there are some lateral CAs wide open - I rather liked the feel they added. Is the ZE the same optical formula, or a different one to the rest?

Thanks,

Kelly.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply marvelous sharpness and color! I don't see much "three dimensional" aspect to the lens's rendition though...seems flat in that respect. But the other attributes are simply great!

These are WONDERFUL examples to include in your field report. Nice images indeed, Carsten.

I agree on the obvious "build quality" of the Voigtlander...at least in the CV APO Lanthar 90/3.5. I haven't developed any shots yet, but I hope the "results quality" is as good as what I perceive the beautiful mechanics to be. I've not had a lens yet that is so smooth....but of course, I've never handled a modern Leica or Zeiss lens either. Rolling Eyes

It's interesting on the Voigtlander lens vs. camera body...the lens is so beautiful and robust feeling mechanically, but the camera body (Bessa R) is seemingly much more flimsy, although built pretty well.

Got off topic there! Anyway, Carsten, I have THOROUGHLY enjoyed this series on your testing of the lens!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would really like to be able to compare the ZE with my Contax versions.

Aside from quality (which is surely excellent in both), I would like to see if the "character" of the lens has changed in this new version.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Zeiss pdf show modification in the optical design, 9 blades and better mtf
push here for Zeiss datas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The distortion (or better said lack thereof) is amazing!!

The resolvance at f/5.6 is also impressive (lower line in the graph)
Microcontrast as usual in Zeiss lenses almost hits the roof at f/5.6

What remains to be tested is the POD rendering, or "3D" as commonly known. Sometimes, too sharp lenses lose that a little. I would be really curious to make the aforementioned test.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
I'd be interested to see a comparison with the Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AIS or the AF-D (in manual mode).

I don't have the Nikkor 1.4/85, but I will show some comparison shots of the Zeiss Planar 1.4/85, the Nikkor 1.8/85, the Jupiter-9 2/85, the Volna-3 2.8/80 and the Canon EF-S 17-85 @ 85 as soon as I can figure out a clever way to present these shots.