Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Video - Testing the Camera/Lens from Rear Window (1954)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:17 pm    Post subject: Video - Testing the Camera/Lens from Rear Window (1954) Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86xRvftRGc4

Video in which I recreate and test the camera and lens setup used by James Stewart's character in the 1954 film Rear Window - an Exakta VX 35mm SLR with a Kilfitt Fern-Kilar 1:5.6/400 lens.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the best manual lens forum in the world
I am very impressed with the whole piece of history you're presenting in such an original manner, I guess the only thing you're missing was instead shooting birds ,maybe shoot some neighborhood people through the window ( even without showing their faces would do lol) - excellent and thank you for sharing CHAPEAU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice movie,
reminded me of my father as we been watching tv together as a nuclear family ..
seen the most and the best movies from the golden age and from around the world,
what a flash back ... !
well no more 'normal' stuff on tv, it's not watchable all long time ago.
so, your movie was like a emotional trigger for me.

overall, there is something that made movie feel vintage while having quite modern visual look.
Im not sure if is your way of naration or the way how the content is presented.

keep making them !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bayliss wrote:

Video in which I recreate and test the camera and lens setup used by James Stewart's character in the 1954 film Rear Window - an Exakta VX 35mm SLR with a Kilfitt Fern-Kilar 1:5.6/400 lens.

Welcome Bayliss!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bizarre, I was watching this video this morning without being aware of this thread.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Video - Testing the Camera/Lens from Rear Window (1954) Reply with quote

Bayliss wrote:

Nice video!

If I may recommend a writer who also was a fanatic photographer then I suggest W.F. Hermans, a well known Dutch writer. In his novel 'The Darkroom of Damocles' the difficult film insert on the Leica IIIf model plays an important role in the plot. The movie based on that novel goes by the same name or as "Like two drops of water" which is the translation of the original Dutch movie title "Als twee druppels water". The movie not so glamoureus as Rear Window is.

"Blow Up" by Antonioni comes to mind too, the actual blow up action of a film frame a bit more realistic than a similar episode in the first "Blade Runner" movie. I guess for a digital image resolution that allowed that last magnification process we have to wait another five decades.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I viewed it yesterday (Feb. 15). Your video is an excellent presentation. Admirable determination in getting the correct versions of camera, lens and adapter!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Welcome to the best manual lens forum in the world
I am very impressed with the whole piece of history you're presenting in such an original manner, I guess the only thing you're missing was instead shooting birds ,maybe shoot some neighborhood people through the window ( even without showing their faces would do lol) - excellent and thank you for sharing CHAPEAU

Thank-you! Yes it would be interesting to get some test pics looking into a window at night - I'd probably have to get permission first though, and it would be a bit hard to explain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
very nice movie,
reminded me of my father as we been watching tv together as a nuclear family ..
seen the most and the best movies from the golden age and from around the world,
what a flash back ... !
well no more 'normal' stuff on tv, it's not watchable all long time ago.
so, your movie was like a emotional trigger for me.

overall, there is something that made movie feel vintage while having quite modern visual look.
Im not sure if is your way of naration or the way how the content is presented.

keep making them !

Thank you very much! Will do!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Video - Testing the Camera/Lens from Rear Window (1954) Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:
Bayliss wrote:

Nice video!

If I may recommend a writer who also was a fanatic photographer then I suggest W.F. Hermans, a well known Dutch writer. In his novel 'The Darkroom of Damocles' the difficult film insert on the Leica IIIf model plays an important role in the plot. The movie based on that novel goes by the same name or as "Like two drops of water" which is the translation of the original Dutch movie title "Als twee druppels water". The movie not so glamoureus as Rear Window is.

"Blow Up" by Antonioni comes to mind too, the actual blow up action of a film frame a bit more realistic than a similar episode in the first "Blade Runner" movie. I guess for a digital image resolution that allowed that last magnification process we have to wait another five decades.

Thank-you! Ah I'll definitely try to find a version of that movie to watch, it sounds very interesting. I'm definitely planning to do a video on the Blow Up Nikon F.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
I viewed it yesterday (Feb. 15). Your video is an excellent presentation. Admirable determination in getting the correct versions of camera, lens and adapter!

Thank you! Thanks for watching!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting!

I can certainly identify with finding all the different variants of photo systems- not necessarily to buy or own but to just understand.
Definitely well presented, and your perseverance with finding everything is very commendable.

The tripod vibration in the garden sequence does look a bit familiar. Wink

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched the video. Really well done, and a lot of dedication and attention to detail. Bravo.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love "Rear Window"! It's amazing how the camera work in that film pulls you into the story. After watching it, I was inspired to explore videography more deeply. I've tried various cameras to capture different angles and effects, experimenting to find what works best for storytelling.

In my journey, I discovered Movavi, a professional video editing software that has really helped me refine my videos. It's user-friendly and offers a lot of features that enhance the visual storytelling, much like how "Rear Window" used its unique camera perspectives to tell the story.