Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

VEGA 11U enlarger lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: VEGA 11U enlarger lens Reply with quote

Here is a little sample.

Lenses are m39 mount from Soviet Union enlargers.
Exists two versions(maybe more) with the same name and very different look(see pictures)
I own the zebra one ans I took the other one from my friend.
I adapted it with a step-up ring from M39 to M42 then M42 - EOS adapter.
Optical scheme is probably identical. Both are multicoated. Zebra has a MC layers less pronounced.
Because they have not focusing helicoid, had to move camera or moving the subject.
Surprised me the sharpness of these lenses. And the bokeh. And price of course Wink
One cost about $1 (my friend bought it 7 years ago), another one - $5, I recently found at the same local market.

100% crop

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quality looks very good as usually enlarger lenses do. Thank you for sharing them!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My zebra Vega 11U also cost US$1... plus US$16 shipping from Kiyev. Those 10 iris blades do make for nice bokeh, and it is edge-to-edge sharp like all usable enlarger lenses. It is a good candidate for a focusing helicoid, or maybe I'll find some trashed PK/OM/CY/AI/M42 50mm lens and mount the Vega on its body.

I am a real sucker for cheap enlarger lenses. Those longer than 80mm can usually reach infinity focus on my M42 or PK bellows and so are good for general non-macro photography. Shorter lenses are great for close work. And they are so cheap! I like cheap.

Similarly cheap, are projector lenses. No aperture diaphragm, such is always wide-open unless I add a Waterhouse stop behind it, but some do have rude focusing helicoids and are easily mounted for general use. Bad cheap one have the most character, of course. Even some as short as 60mm can be bellows-mounted and reach infinity focus, maybe after chopping the plastic body and adding a thin macro-tube ring as an adapter. Some are zooms; some are PC; all are funky, I mean interesting.