Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

UV Topcor lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: UV Topcor lenses Reply with quote

I have purchased set of Topcor lenses 200mm f4, 50mm f2 and 28mm f4 last week including a broken IC1 body.
To use this lenses with full frame body 5D MkII is home made adapter necessary.
Adapter Topcon to M42 screw seems the easiest way to do (M42 seems flexible for the future).

The lenses

Adapter

And borring samples of the lenses, all wide open, contrast seems good

200mm f4

50mm f2

28mm f4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice demo, I have a few also , basically handled as unusable garbage and look, they are pretty good, thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Nice demo, I have a few also , basically handled as unusable garbage and look, they are pretty good, thank you!

I've come to the conclusion that old MF lenses come in 3 qualities.

1: Really rough with blurry edges and distortion galore

2: (most common) Very good, acceptable quality, especially camera brand lenses. Not much real difference unless you pixel peep.

3: The super-finest lenses. But where, generally, only an expert can tell them from No2

These lenses definitely come from group 2. About the middle.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Attila wrote:

I've come to the conclusion that old MF lenses come in 3 qualities.

1: Really rough with blurry edges and distortion galore

2: (most common) Very good, acceptable quality, especially camera brand lenses. Not much real difference unless you pixel peep.

3: The super-finest lenses. But where, generally, only an expert can tell them from No2

These lenses definitely come from group 2. About the middle.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.
I think that section 2 is usually broken into two parts, with an upper and lower end. To me it is the upper end that is excellent and sometimes challenges the super fine, but there is a lower tier that is very usable to very good.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.
I think that section 2 is usually broken into two parts, with an upper and lower end. To me it is the upper end that is excellent and sometimes challenges the super fine, but there is a lower tier that is very usable to very good.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Cheers
OH

Yeah I agree. And you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between upper lower half and any of the top half

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Thanks Attila, much apreciated.
You might be right, it is glas like another lense as well, however this unusable garbage is pretty good at least to me.
I paid for 3 lenses + body + Minox 35 GT for 25 USD.
Are we in paradise for manual lenses ? Laughing

5D MkII + UV topcor 28mm f4 wide open

5D MkII + Zeiss distagon 28mm f2.8 at f4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: UV Topcor lenses Reply with quote

convert1 wrote:
Adapter Topcon to M42 screw seems the easiest way to do (M42 seems flexible for the future).

How is the way to build such adapter?
Can you properly manually controll with this adapter the aperture?
Thank you

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have uploaded 2 pics from the adapter in my flickr.
Manually control of the aperture is still possible , no problem.
Infinity adjustment will be done in the lens self.

Regards

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see -
-The UV mount with aperture ring is taken from a Topcon camera.
-To it is attached an M42 mount, it seems to be one from another lens. I suppose this can be made with some other mount, perhaps an M42-Canon/Nikon/PK adapter, etc.
- The UV lenses are internally adjusted for infinity as the assembly of adapters would not match the original UV mount back focus.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was easier for me to do it with one donor m42 (btw, it was from broken russian lens).
As standard infinty adjustment I used Canon 5dMkii.
Having said that , many report on internet said that UV topcor lenses are garbage , without any comparison (hear and say).
I have another opinions about UV Topcor lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

Its interesting to know that the important parts of the UV mount are so easy to remove.

How do you connect the pieces ?
Screws ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a whole set of UV Topcor lenses (+camera) here. I didn't test them (neither on digital). Judging from their excellent build quality, and outstanding quality of their other line of lenses, I cannot believe the optical quality could be bad.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice camera like 5D2 shows almost any lens to top one, try same test with older digital cameras especially with 4/3 micro 4/3, Zeiss will still shiny , cheap Japaneses not really, also matter of light on nice bright light almost any lens perform equal, especially at F8, troubles come in shade etc. I think a bit opposite I not spend 2000 USD plus on a pro camera and happy with 25 USD lenses. I rather use second hand cameras in 100-300 USD range and pay 2000 USD for lenses for many lenses Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Nice camera like 5D2 shows almost any lens to top one, try same test with older digital cameras especially with 4/3 micro 4/3, Zeiss will still shiny , cheap Japaneses not really, also matter of light on nice bright light almost any lens perform equal, especially at F8, troubles come in shade etc. I think a bit opposite I not spend 2000 USD plus on a pro camera and happy with 25 USD lenses. I rather use second hand cameras in 100-300 USD range and pay 2000 USD for lenses for many lenses Wink

I agree with you. My cheap Nex 3 and Nex 5 N let my buy the good lenses I have (MC 58 PG; APO-Telyt 180/3,4; MC 100/2; Summ M 1,4/35).

But who has an expensive camera, also can play with cheap lenses, although those lenses do not be attractive to me any more.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still interest about any lens what I didn't try , sometimes cheap ones give lot of joy , so worth to try what you can , but if I like to have sure and excellent shoot somehow I always choice top of the line lenses what I have Smile Another thing I not see difference much NEX-3 and premium cameras even new A7r on web.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote: How do you connect the pieces ?

Yes, with 3 screws (each 120 degr.);
Important is that donor M42 has 1.8 mm thick and 60.08 mm diameter.

caspert79 wrote: I have a whole set of UV Topcor lenses (+camera) here....

If you have time to build the adapter , please judge the IQ of UV Topcor lenses

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

convert1 wrote:
... Important is that donor M42 has 1.8 mm thick and 60.08 mm diameter.

I needed some time to find a non-working body UV-Topcon (UNI) to use the UV mount with aperture ring.
Also found appropriate mount with M42 thread (from the lens Photax-Paragon 2.8/135mm).
The diameter of the part with the M42 thread (left on the picture below) is 6.00 cm, the diameter of the part with the UV mount with aperture ring is 5.90 cm (right)
How did you determine the thickness of the part with the M42 thread ?
I will use the UV-Topcor lenses on Canon EOS.
Thank you!