Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

UV Topcor 53mm/F2 on APS-C
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: UV Topcor 53mm/F2 on APS-C Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I think it's no surprise that I took another one of my UV Topcors this morning for my dog walk, namely the standard lens (UV Topcor 53/2) which was attached to the Topcon Uni camera when it was available in the 1960's. Somehow a strange focus length which is also used by the Russians for their Industar lens.

More information about the UV Topcor lenses can be found in the previous threads about the other lenses here:
100mm: http://goo.gl/N1QjDF
35mm: http://goo.gl/z1TFWJ
28mm: http://goo.gl/AJAFzl

Pictures of the lenses: http://goo.gl/12hTV0

As before all pictures shot with my beloved Ricoh GXR-M (APS-C/12MP/without anti-aliasing AKA low-pass filter) and just downsized for presentation. No PP besides some exposure corrections (when needed). The used aperture should be obvious. Mainly fully open, except for the infinity shots.

As usual pictures taken primarily to show the capabilities and/or shortcomings of the lens and not the skills of the photographer and therefore on purpose some repeating scenarios have been chosen for better comparability.

The pictures (clickable for larger view):

All pictures taken without any accessories except a universal rubber lens hood. No flash or distance rings have been used. All shot free hand.

For the pixel peepers some 100% crops all taken fully open (F2):

Finally I didn't realize any noteworthy shortcomings. I think it's by far my best lens in relation to the money I've paid for. Wink
Not even CA's which are somehow disturbing the picture are noticeable on the test shot with the lamp. That's rather remarkable.
However, in terms of bokeh it's certainly not my favorite lens but this is rather a matter of taste.

I do hope I was able to be of help at least for some of the readers here.
However, nobody is forced to read my boring and "overbearing" contributions. That's certainly the good news. Wink
Sorry for my bad English. My German is far better.

Cheers,

Last edited by tb_a on Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:26 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't read your words I just look at the pictures Wink Very Happy Seriously, very nice pictures, and the lens it seems is in the right hands.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laugh 1 Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Hibiscus Thomas...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thomas - never mind the nice pictures, I'm looking at the words so I can point out errors ( Wink ) . . . Now I can show off my superior encyclopaedic knowledge of stuff that has little or no real world impact. (yes, yes, I know I can't take decent pictures but what the heck! )

The lens is labelled 53mm because most 50mm lenses are actually TWO INCHES in focal length, which is pretty much 53mm. At least, that's what I've read in lots of books. And I think the origin of that is to do with 19th century connections between photography and microscopy and the use of imperial measurements even by continental makers.

Coming back to the real world, I think those UV Topcors are very nice. Looks like you've got the full set !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@kryss - Thank you!

@Stephen,

Thank you as well! So now I've learned (again) something from you! Wink
Obviously there are still some book readers around, at least we are two of them.

Well, what I've found out so far, I have indeed the full set from the Uni series of cameras. The later Unirex, which was the last Topcon leaf shutter camera (with dual metering mode, integral and spot), brought also the 28mm/F4 lens (which I have too) and the 50mm/F2 lens which I don't have. The outer design of these newer lenses was also different (complete silver or black). That's also apparent on the picture of my collection.

Kind regards,

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Hi Thomas - never mind the nice pictures, I'm looking at the words so I can point out errors ( Wink ) . . . Now I can show off my superior encyclopaedic knowledge of stuff that has little or no real world impact. (yes, yes, I know I can't take decent pictures but what the heck! )

The lens is labelled 53mm because most 50mm lenses are actually TWO INCHES in focal length, which is pretty much 53mm. At least, that's what I've read in lots of books. And I think the origin of that is to do with 19th century connections between photography and microscopy and the use of imperial measurements even by continental makers.

Coming back to the real world, I think those UV Topcors are very nice. Looks like you've got the full set !

Yes. The cron R 2/50 has a real fl of 52,5 mm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that, compared to it's big brother, the RE Topcor 1.8/58, this one doesn't look good. There's a big difference in the contrast, particularly micro contrast. This one looks sharp enough, albeit less sharp then the RE, but the images are totally different in rendition, much flatter, almost as if the glass is not clean. In such bright sunlight, the RE produces images with real bite and that '3D pop' people talk about is often visible. This UV very much looks like a budget item in comparison, which is what it was.

I have the 35, 50, 100 and 135 UV Topcors and also the mount from a broken Uni but never got round to making a working adapter. They are very well made lenses, they feel like really high quality items.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were made for social photographer.

The topcon cameras for the UV lenses had compete with Zeiss Ikon contaflexes. Voigtlander bessamatic and ultramatic. Kowa with fixed lens, etc.

The IQ necessary was not so great. Only for límites médium to little copies.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I have to say that, compared to it's big brother, the RE Topcor 1.8/58, this one doesn't look good. There's a big difference in the contrast, particularly micro contrast. This one looks sharp enough, albeit less sharp then the RE, but the images are totally different in rendition, much flatter, almost as if the glass is not clean. In such bright sunlight, the RE produces images with real bite and that '3D pop' people talk about is often visible. This UV very much looks like a budget item in comparison, which is what it was.

I have the 35, 50, 100 and 135 UV Topcors and also the mount from a broken Uni but never got round to making a working adapter. They are very well made lenses, they feel like really high quality items.

You are certainly right. I could test it against it's "big brother" too. Most probably the RE Topcor will be the better lens. It would be a very sad story if it would be the other way round.
Also the direct comparison betw. the 100mm lenses which I did yesterday (UV vs. RE) showed already that the RE lens is superior. So I thought I can skip that today.

However, if somebody is on low budget this lens which may be available for 10 $ is definitely not bad and is able to produce sharp pictures from edge to edge what many cheap lenses do not manage, not even on APS-C. So my judgement was clearly related to the price. It's rather unlikely that you manage to get a RE.Auto-Topcor 58mm/1.8 for that price. On Evilbay there is presently only one offered for 170 Euro plus shipping. Actually the 58/1.8 is rather a legendary lens and as you stated rightly, the UV lenses have been the standard line and the RE ones have been for their professional line of cameras. The "Uni" camera is certainly not comparable with the "RE Super". That's definitely another league.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

The IQ necessary was not so great.

But not bad either. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
is able to produce sharp pictures from edge to edge what many cheap lenses do not manage, not even on APS-C.

On the contrary, almost all 50mm lenses can produce sharp results cross the entire frame on APS-C. Given there are many of them that can be had dirt cheap and that have adapters readily available, I don't see how this Topcor is a good choice.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UV Topcor to Sony-E: Click here to see on Ebay
UV Topcor to Fuji FX: Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
papasito wrote:

The IQ necessary was not so great.

But not bad either. Wink

No bad, of course.

Good quality. Nice to have and enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the adapter links Thomas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Turtle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has a total of 3 NEX adapters available and the price is 10 times what a Chinese M42-NEX adapter costs.

Not an attractive proposition for me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know we are getting OT, and forgive my ignorance but Topcor lenses are not M42 are they? These adapters are certainly not cheap (if there are other options that would be nice to know), but from my understanding they are not readily available,its still a niche market? I have wondered about these lenses for awhile so its nice to know there are adapters if I decide to follow my curiousity and buy one.: D

Posts like these help make that decision easier,not only by showing the lens and samples but showing the available adapters.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if this lens Topcon UV Topcor 53mm f/2 has thorium in the elements or is radioactive in anyway? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
UV Topcor to Sony-E: Click here to see on Ebay
UV Topcor to Fuji FX: Click here to see on Ebay

There is a simpler version of the adapter https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4814443

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Totally agree that the lenses are not of significant interest, even though the workmanship is very high.

pimpy1 wrote:
Does anyone know if this lens Topcon UV Topcor 53mm f/2 has thorium in the elements or is radioactive in anyway? Thanks.

Lenses do not contain radioactive elements.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARD wrote:

pimpy1 wrote:

Lenses do not contain radioactive elements.

Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
scsambrook wrote:

Yes. The cron R 2/50 has a real fl of 52,5 mm

Hitting the max. 5% deviation from the 50mm label it goes with. Just tolerated in the industry. Most standard lenses are within that percentage though. Imperial sizes have nothing to do with this.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thoriated (radioactive) Topcor is the RE GN Topcor 50/1.4. Tickles my Geiger counter, and I had to bleach it out with UV light -- it had gone tea brown.

The UV Topcor lenses rear elements had to fit into the small leaf shutter on the cameras. A constraint that hampered quality at a given cost. Also the reason so many of the lenses were f/4.