Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

UV Topcor 35mm/F3.5 on APS-C
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: UV Topcor 35mm/F3.5 on APS-C Reply with quote

Another thread about cheap 35mm lenses inspired me to take the "cheap" Topcon lens which was developed for the Topcon lens shutter cameras such as the "Unirex" for my morning walk with my dog. There was an original accessory available to enable the use of UV lenses on RE compatible cameras (such as the Topcon RE Super or Super D) which are using a compatible Exakta bayonet mount. Luckily I have this Topcon adapter which was the reason to acquire all existent different UV lenses from 28 to 200 mm for the use with my mirrorless cameras. The very positive aspect of the story is that these UV lenses have been extremely cheap because of the difficulties to adapt them on most digital cameras. Any adapter has to include the mechanism to switch the aperture. Without that those lenses would only be usable fully open.
Some of my lenses I bought for 10 Euro incl. a fully functional Uni camera. Wink

The very boring test pictures hereafter have all been taken with my NEX-C3 with 16MP/APS-C sensor for better comparability for the readers here. Though, I prefer to use my Ricoh GXR much more and would be able to use those lenses also with this camera. The focus aid on the NEX is rather cumbersome in direct comparison. I don't know whether Sony has improved that on the newer models. One of these cheap Chinese rubber lens shades was used. There is a 49mm filter thread on the lens for that.

All pictures shot RAW and converted with some exposure corrections in LR. Downsized for presentation (clickable for larger view). No sharpening or other manipulation.
Used apertures from F3.5 to F8.

On request I can certainly provide some 100% crops. In the very moment I'm too lazy to make them. Wink

Finally I can say that this lens is not bad at all. I have really difficulties to detect it's shortcomings, even at 100% view. Also CA's are hardly visible at any aperture used.
So if somebody can manage to adapt this lens it would be worth a consideration. Most probably the best lens for that price. At F8 it delivers really sharp pictures from edge to edge.
The very short MFD of apprx. 30 cm is not bad as well.

Fully open (F3.5):

F5.6:

F8:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are very good to me.

Thanks for sharing.

A New lesson was learned, the UV topcor are lenses to buy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's something else I've learned - that there was a UV-Topcor to Topcon/Exakta adapter. Those pictures looked very nice once I'd clicked on them. Be nice to see some from the other lenses you have !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Well, that's something else I've learned - that there was a UV-Topcor to Topcon/Exakta adapter. Those pictures looked very nice once I'd clicked on them. Be nice to see some from the other lenses you have !

I am happy to serve not only for amusement but for notable news as well. Welcome Turtle

Picture taken from the Japanese Topcon Club.

Last edited by tb_a on Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
They are very good to me.

Thanks for sharing.

A New lesson was learned, the UV topcor are lenses to buy.

Welcome Turtle

More to follow....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I've already posted some sample pictures and a better picture of the original adapter in this thread about the 28mm lens:

http://forum.mflenses.com/uv-topcor-28mm-f4-t71906,highlight,+uv++topcor++28.html

So 28 and 35 mm are already done!

Actually I've found out that for the later Unirex the 53/2 lens changed to 50/2. However, I don't know whether they are really different. I don't have the 50mm version yet but that may change if found reasonable.

There was also a 50/1.8 HI Topcor available (and a 50/2.8 too) but the HI Topcor is actually the same mount as the UV Topcor. So the HI and UV lenses are most probably identical if at same specification. There is presently also a UV 50/2.8 on Evilbay, though this lens is not even listed in Camerapedia. Confused

Finally I have to admit that I don't have every model yet. Sad

Still looking around. Wink