Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

UV black lamp use on Takumar 50mm F1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: UV black lamp use on Takumar 50mm F1.4 Reply with quote

I have been trying to bleach yellowing of Super Tak lens. Some hot sessions in the sun seem to be too much risk from lens overheating. I found a 20 watt compact fluorescent UVA party light bulb ('black lamp") at the local hardware store. Cost was AUD $17.50, or about USD$16. I mounted the bulb in a desk lamp, aimed it down into a foil covered bowl with the Super Tak at wide open aperture. Distance was close with a few centimetres gap between lamp and bowl to enable air circulation. Now 73 hours later, yellowing of lens is almost gone. Will do another few days and report whether yellowing dissappears completely.
bb2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: UV black lamp use on Takumar 50mm F1.4 Reply with quote

beachboy2 wrote:
I found a 20 watt compact fluorescent UVA party light bulb ('black lamp") at the local hardware store.

Reptile lamps for in terraria work very well too.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason for using the party light was that the price was good. Lens fitting is standard bayonet or edson screw type, so any handy lamp could be used. Another 12 hours or so and I have decided my Super Tak is free of yellowing!
bb2