Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Unusual Soligor 135/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Unusual Soligor 135/2.8 Reply with quote

I saw one of these go through auction before. This time I bid. An Auto Soligor in uncoupled Nikon F mount. What I find unusual about it, other than the lack of meter coupling is the focus direction, counter clockwise to close up. Not typical of other Soligors. To me that means a minority manufacturer. The second unusual feature is the aperture ring at the front. That's typical on presets but not typical of auto iris lenses (except Canon FL or Olympus OM). Most interesting is the serial beginning with R.

This is a chunky, beer keg of a lens with 58mm filter ring and thick front barrel. A slip on hood would have to be 65mm diameter. The lens has a shiny black finish. The mounting flange may be removable. The very rear of the lens, behind the M-A ring is knurled and has one small screw that may lock it on. I haven't tried loosening it yet.

I'm completely stumped as to who may have manufactured it. the only other I've seen was uncoupled Minolta mount and also had the R407xxx serial. Here's a few pics of the lens for you to examine while I make a few pics with it. I'm curious if anyone has seen a lens with similar characteristics.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure who it's made by but I think you're right about the mount being removable

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the maker, but if we figure this one out I think we will solve
2. I think the M code lenses were made by this same maker.
I will add R code to the list.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks a little Takumar-ish

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting item indeed.

I will go with the assumption that it is from one of the minor makers.

Something about it says Kyoei, its that triangle indicator.

Itoh also had something like that.

It seems fairly well finished.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a little Takumar-ish. The pattern of the focus grip is much like the Pentax lens. Overall, very similar to the Canon 135/2.5 "R" and "FL" series lens. The Canon was glossy black with white and orange distance markings and aperture ring ahead of the focus grip.

If Kyoei is a suspect, should we see a similar 135 in the Petri lineup?

I think this lens belongs in a 1966 +/- time frame. Much after that, the independents would have been designing with meter coupling in mind.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've got a 200/4 in this series (M42 mount). Also an "R" serial number.

I haven't done a great deal of shooting with it, although I recall that the results were pretty good - notwithstanding the fact that there seems to be some coating deterioration on an interior element.

As for the mount: is there a suggestion that it's "removable" in the sense of "user-interchangeable"?

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

I'd like to see some images of your "R" 200 to compare details.

If the mount is removable it is going to require a fine screwdriver at the very least. I don't think it's interchangeable in the sense of Tamron Adaptamatic, Tokina T4 or Sigma YS.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

No problem. I actually have a few gear photos I need to take, and I'll add that lens to the queue.

Agreed re: the lens mount; there are three teeny-tiny screws holding the M42 mount in place. I'm relatively sure I could get the mount off successfully; my problem is usually getting everything back together.

I wonder how many other "R" focal lengths there were?

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one teeny-tiny screw in the mount of this lens. I think it is locking a threaded retaining collar. Loosen screw, unscrew collar and the mount may come off.

If AIC bought the line of lenses from this maker, there may be four to six prime focal lengths from 28 to 200 or 300. Just a guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is also available as Yamatar Auto Telephoto.

http://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/424-yamatar-auto-telephoto-135mm-f28-22

Oddly, yamatar otherwise resembles sankor...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Member Sonic Scott has shown us one of these with the Optomax brand and no "R" in the serial.

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=47577&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15&sid=6e1d4be2bdc32c910a1a64c87eb8e325

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And one ending on ebay as I write this. A Soligor with Miranda mount.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is probably later version called: FLEXOMAT LUXE. Mount isn't T2, it's similar but wider thread (on first and second photo).
Also interesting are quite shiny blades that i don't think i saw elsewhere. Bluish coating front and rear.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another similar to mamiya 2,8/135 tl/dtl tokina lens.

Very shiny blades. Any good?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another piece in the puzzle. It certainly looks like a further development of my "R" Soligor.

Is that an M-42 fitting or is that a thread that a mount flange attaches to?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:
Another similar to mamiya 2,8/135 tl/dtl tokina lens.
Very shiny blades. Any good?
Yes, shiny. Only association i get for this type of blades are some Russian middle format lenses. Mamiya / Tokina is very different. This lens is constructed peculiar.
Didn't try it yet. It was originally fitted with FD adapter / mount. I didn't have NEX at that time. Now i cannot find it's FD mount anymore Sad.

casualcollector wrote:
Another piece in the puzzle. It certainly looks like a further development of my "R" Soligor.

Is that an M-42 fitting or is that a thread that a mount flange attaches to?
A thread. Puzzle indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the age, I think yours was Canon FL mount as FD was not introduced until 1971. There is a resemblance to YS mount with the thread and single pin.

Any idea who the distributor was and where? France, Germany, other western Europe?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks a lot like the Ittoh made 3.5/135 I had, only fatter.

Is it a good lens? There's a ton of these third party 135s and who made them isn't really much of a concern, what is of interest is are they any good or not?

Here's a similar bu different Soligor 2.8/135 with a H code.

http://jpegbay.com/gallery/002795270-.html#3

This lens is also seen as a Hanimex and an Optomax, I think it's a Tokina as the very similarly styled 2.8/100 and 4/100 commonly seen as Hanimex and Optomax with H serials are Tokinas.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've shot a roll of film with this lens with indifferent to dubious results. However... my Nikon F does not like this lens. The mirror tends to hang up so I may not be focusing it accurately. I've not tried to sort out the problem. I am now waiting for a Nikon F adapter for my EOS DSLR and will try again.

The Soligor you linked to Looks very Tokina. The aperture control ring and A-M ring moved depending on date of manufacture and/or type of mount but the mounting flange with four equally spaced screws and engraved designation say Tokina.

I'm still undecided about the first two digits after the letter H indicating year of manufacture. Need a larger sample base!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame about your issue, hope you get it sorted.

I agree, does look like a Tokina. Maybe a H serial denotes Tokina?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm,
don't know if this will help or not but here is another Soligor with H prefix.
Not a 135 of course, but maybe another piece in the puzzle.
OH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "H" prefix shows up on a lot of Tokinas branded as Soligor, Hanimex, Lentar, perhaps Focal (K-Mart) and Sears. It does appear on lenses manufactured by others, so H does not always indicate Tokina.

I find the Auto Tokinas easy to identify. Member Luisalegria seems fluent in identifying the Tokina presets.

The H disappeared and on the Soligors was replaced with "1", perhaps around 1968 - 69, however, I am speculating and not speaking from experience.

I'll have to gather all of my Tokinas and report on the brands and serials.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
Given the age, I think yours was Canon FL mount as FD was not introduced until 1971. There is a resemblance to YS mount with the thread and single pin.

Any idea who the distributor was and where? France, Germany, other western Europe?

You're right most probably it was FL. Mount is similar to YS but wider. Adapters don't fit.
No idea about distributors.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Is it a good lens? There's a ton of these third party 135s and who made them isn't really much of a concern, what is of interest is are they any good or not?

It's exactly the interest in manufacturer that draws my curiosity. You're perhaps right in saying that such interest doesn't make much sense but hey it's fun to play detective Smile. Paying attention to small inner / outer lens details and quirky mechanics solutions. Even optical peculiarities.

This lens line smells of small house independent producer thus it's even more appealing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
The "H" prefix shows up on a lot of Tokinas branded as Soligor, Hanimex, Lentar, perhaps Focal (K-Mart) and Sears. It does appear on lenses manufactured by others, so H does not always indicate Tokina.

I find the Auto Tokinas easy to identify. Member Luisalegria seems fluent in identifying the Tokina presets.

The H disappeared and on the Soligors was replaced with "1", perhaps around 1968 - 69, however, I am speculating and not speaking from experience.

I'll have to gather all of my Tokinas and report on the brands and serials.

Yes, most H serials I've seen are Tokinas, and I think every Lentar I've seen has been a Tokina.

That lens oldhand posted is a Tokina, an okay lens, decent sharpness, contrast is crap and colours a bit muted, but you can easily fix those issues in PP. The f4 version is very similar - sharp enough but weak in contrast and colours.