Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Unexpected desappointing lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Unexpected desappointing lens Reply with quote

with a lot of expectative, i have purchased some lenses that were desappointing to me.

Among them

1- Nikkor Ais 50/1,8. lost some contrast and saturation. Borders no good.

2- Angulon 35/2,8 for QBM. Centerr from 2,8 excellent, but corners....till F/11 is not sharp

3- MDII 28/2,8. (7/7). A lot of CA and the borders never sharo till F/11.

4- Rolleinar MC 200/3,5. Low contrast, not sharp till F/5,6 in the center.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll play.

Back in 1985, I got a sizable tax refund check and I decided to buy camera gear with the funds. This included a brand new Canon nFD 200mm f/2.8 and an nFD 300mm f/4.

First time I took them out, I was shooting in a high-contrast situation, and when I got my slides back, I couldn't believe my eyes. There was so much magenta and green CA that I felt the lenses were unusable. I was crestfallen. Eventually, I learned that one just did not use either of those lenses in high-contrast situations, especially where hard lines are evident because there will be color -- of the wrong kind.

A more recent acquisition was because of an associate's recommendation. Now, this recommendation went back about 35 years, but still I was curious. This fellow had a Soligor 95-310mm f/5.6 push-pull zoom that he often spoke highly of. Back then, I had bought the Soligor 85-300mm f/5, mostly I guess because it was a 2-ring zoom, which I thought might have been superior, and also because it was about a third of a stop faster. I don't recall anymore what the price differential was. So anyway, I stumbled across one of the 95-310's on eBay, mint in original box, for dirt cheap and I bought it. Tried it out on both a digital and a film camera, shooting slides. And all I can say about it is it was unbelievably horrid. I don't think I've ever owned a worse lens.

So, anybody wanna buy a Soligor 95-310 for cheap? Mint condition. I'll make you a great deal Cool You can have it for the cost of postage.

Last edited by cooltouch on Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:20 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My entry would be Miranda 24 mm f/2.8 MC Macro (made by Cosina).
Quite highly praised lens in general, but my copy is just awful.
Horrible field curvature, blurry corners (on APS-C!) under f/8, heavy blue color cast, poor contrast.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Sigma Mini Wide...I think I've had most of them, still got two 28 / 2.8 Macro's and I use them as body caps.

I've got all manner of third party wide lenses and the Vivitar's rule, even the Tefnon and Hoya's are better than the Sigma's. The only lens that comes close to the awfulness of the Sigma Mini Wide is the Japanese made Carl Zeiss 28 / 2.8 .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Any Sigma Mini Wide...I think I've had most of them, still got two 28 / 2.8 Macro's and I use them as body caps.

I've got all manner of third party wide lenses and the Vivitar's rule, even the Tefnon and Hoya's are better than the Sigma's. The only lens that comes close to the awfulness of the Sigma Mini Wide is the Japanese made Carl Zeiss 28 / 2.8 .

That zeiss made in Japan was a Sigma lens, was not?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Unexpected desappointing lens Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Loydy. I'm a bit surprised. The german magazine Color foto tested the sigma mini wide 24 against a couple of others, and found it to be the best. It had on the front cover "Sigma beats Leica ! " ... to many people's surprise, I think. Besides I've read other good reviews of the 24. You may have struck a bad copy ? Actually I'm still looking for one... Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
Hi Loydy. I'm a bit surprised. The german magazine Color foto tested the sigma mini wide 24 against a couple of others, and found it to be the best. It had on the front cover "Sigma beats Leica ! " ... to many people's surprise, I think. Besides I've read other good reviews of the 24. You may have struck a bad copy ? Actually I'm still looking for one... Wink

The Sigma Mini-Wide is a 28mm lens. The 24mm is a Super-Wide.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best early Sigma 24mm I have tried is the Super-Wide II, the AF version. I have also tried the original super wide, and several earlier 24mm versions include the filtermatic, and in other badges such as Upsilon, Aetna, and Quantaray, probably about 5-6 lenses total. Of them all, the super-wide II stands apart to an extent, all of the others with the exception of the Aetna could only be described as poor.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Unexpected desappointing lens Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:

Wide angle lenses mostly.

The Landscape photos with my copies have a blurry corner (at the tree line) even stopped down Sony APC-S mirrorless! So, I compose with that in mind, otherwise they work perfectly fine for less than distance photos.

Rokkor-HH 35mm f1.8 (Top Left) I may have tried to rotate the rear group to move to the bottom corner but I think the power issue was not in the lens group but the mechanism which the front and rear groups thread together. Maybe it was tilted because I didn't see any sign of decenter with the wagon wheel chart.

What the f*** are you doing with your lenses ?!? Laugh 1 They are precision instruments, and sometimes a few dozen micrometers of shifting/tilting a single element can seriously impact the perfomance!

Blazer0ne wrote:

Rokkor-X NL 21mm f2.8 (All Corners and CA)

Corners should be quite good (24 MP FF) for a 1960s vintage 20mm, comparable to e. g. the Sony Zeiss ZA 2.8/16-35mm! However if someone has f****ed around with its floating focusing mechanism, a lot of additional field curvature (and other aberrations) may be introduced ...

S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was very excited to find a rollei SL35 with a german-made zeiss planar 50/1.8 (as i understand it, production moved to singapore in 1975 and quality declined) at a very reasonable price, my first "real" zeiss; shot with it for a few days, and the results were... fine? but just not very interesting in any particular way.. was really expecting to have my mind blown for some reason.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Unexpected desappointing lens Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Phalbert wrote:

The Sigma Mini-Wide is a 28mm lens. The 24mm is a Super-Wide.

Oops. Yes. My bad...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:
i was very excited to find a rollei SL35 with a german-made zeiss planar 50/1.8 (as i understand it, production moved to singapore in 1975 and quality declined) at a very reasonable price, my first "real" zeiss; shot with it for a few days, and the results were... fine? but just not very interesting in any particular way.. was really expecting to have my mind blown for some reason.

I have some copies. 3 hace aperture problems, two have haze (fixed now, but it returns).

The IQ is very good. But not the contrastier, nor the sharpest
Is not the best in any department.
The c/y planar 1,7/50 should be better, but has it own defects.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously I don't know of a disappointing lens. Over time i managed to get a good copy of all those with bad first impression or on the other hand was able to make successful repairs. If a lens must be singled out: Pentacon 2.8/29mm shouldn't be bought for panorama usage by newbie. Too many are decentralized and even if proper, edges aren't impressive. Still cool lens though for specific use and cannot be auto discredited.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never too impressed with the Kiron 105mm macro. The Tokina 90/2.5 is much better in my opinion, especially wide open or as a portrait lens. Not that the Kiron is bad, it just didn't live up to my expectations after having read all the rave reviews.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another disappointing Lens.
MD MINOLTA 300/4,5.

CA as never seen before

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:

I know....it's why I've had six of the damn things over the years. I keep trying to like them, I really do, but I hate them. I've given two away, sold two and use two as body caps on my Contax RX and Rollieflex SL35 ! Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="papasito"]Another disappointing Lens.
MD MINOLTA 300/4,5.

CA as never seen before[/quote

Damn......I've just bought one of those! Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy.

Sure was a bad copy.

Yours will be fine!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Another disappointing Lens.
MD MINOLTA 300/4,5.

CA as never seen before