Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Under zero
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Under zero Reply with quote

Yes, here the temperature has dropped under 0 degree Celsius (this morning are about -6 ). I was, asking my self, is it safe to go shooting with a dSLR in these conditions ? Yes, first I would have to consult the manual, but which is the lowest temperature you used your camera and at what temperature and how much time did you keep it after you came from a under zero conditions place to a warmer, over 15-20 (or more) degree Celsus place?

PS. Did you use gloves, when shooting in these freezing conditions ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most camera manuals suggest an operating range of around 0-40 c but a few degrees below shouldn't be a problem, just be aware of shorter battery life.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another problem is condensation : if your camera and lenses are cold, they will condense humidity on and inside while entering into a warm place.

My advice is to let your toys in a plastic bag (or camera bag) until they get warm.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flor27 wrote:
My advice is to let your toys in a plastic bag (or camera bag) until they get warm.

That's a very important advice!

I guess, it also depends on the cam. The Pentax K10D will not have big problems, neither the Oly E1 or the Nikon D200/300 have.
I once have read an article in which they reported about taking a Nikon D100 up to the Himalaya - and it worked perfectly.

I am not sure about my EOS 350D and other "consumer" cams, since they are not sealed. I have used the cam in very cold surroundings and it all went well, but I had a strange feeling in my stomach.

If the temperature gets really low, I will use my Zenit EM or my Spotmatic on film. That should be OK.

Battery life is especially a problem if your cam uses the standard AA rechargeables. Li-Ion batteries are more resistant.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K10D body is sealed but aren't your beloved manual focus lenses ? Wink

About the battery, they are shorter in life while being cold, so you can keep some spare in your underpants and swap as soon as the one in the camera seems dead : it will revice with your body's heat.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flor27 wrote:
About the battery, they are shorter in life while being cold, so you can keep some spare in your underpants and swap as soon as the one in the camera seems dead : it will revice with your body's heat.

Well, depends on the person. Laughing Smelly but working. Laughing

Flor27 wrote:
K10D body is sealed but aren't your beloved manual focus lenses ? Wink

That's the nice thing about manual lenses: no electronics.
Even if they condense, it won't harm them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the very rainy Paris-Brest-Paris my lenses regularily fogged up while indoors. After a while about all the displays weren't functioning. The camera kept shooting in automatic mode though. After 1-2 sunny days all the displays came back. During all those display problems the camera functioned well.
Since speedskating is one of my favourite subjects I do shoot a lot in winter. I mainly use 'postmen's gloves', the sort of gloves with the fingertips cut off. They work great. Spare batteries I keep in my pockets to keep them warm.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inside condensation may kill your camera on the long waty, if some vital part start rusting. of cause short-circuits if you power it on whille fogged. If you warm up gently your camera before using it after a cold shot sessions, condensed humidity must be back to air so no more problem.