Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Uncleanable lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Uncleanable lenses Reply with quote

I wish to collect here what lenses are not cleanable at home ,because you need to face to face that kind of technical difficulties what is not resolvable at home.

All zooms - they have difficult constructions.Personally I can't open and rebuild when I tried one. Any other opinion ?

Konica Hexanon 135mm f3.5 AR - it has glued elements if you have trouble between this tags that is not resolvable.

Vivitar Series 1 28mm f1.9 37xxx it has glued elements you can't open it.

Kaleinar 2.8/100 glued elements you can't open it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have cleaned a zoom - a Quantaray 28-80 for Olympus that was apparently wet at a beach, which I got for free.

Luckily the optics were only dirty on the outside.

I disassembled partially and cleaned out sand from the mechanism and the front and back elements. It seems to work OK now.

I have a Zeiss 40/4.5 that looks terrible just now, it looks like sand is stuck on the lens. Lets see if I can fix this.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll try to open up my fungused yashica 75-150 zoom when I have time. It has no value anyway, so it will be good "training" for cleaning fungus.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward your result!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I repaired a konica 75-150, with fungus in the internal surface of the last element (I dissambled it in the rear part from the last element to the diafragm and from the first element in the fornt of the lens). All was OK.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have repaired several zooms, each tends to be a bit special
- rebuilt a Tamron 28-80 SP with replacement plastic bearings on the zoom cams, which got rid of the loose motion,
- rebuilt a Tamron 35-210 SP which had liquid damage,
- repaired a sticky diaphragm on a Tamron 60-300 SP.

The hardest one was a Tokina 80-200 f2.8, with a separated element in the second zoom group - I had to dismantle the lens to the point where I could extract the element, then split the components with methylene chloride, then re-cement with UV-curing optical adhesive - the results look reasonable so far.

It all depends on how determined you are (and how much you love to tinker with things)!!

Regards

Angus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very good news, I thought before they are mostly un-reparable at home! Many thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I look forward your result!

I have tried to open it but the screws are too tight :/ i managed to unscrew the inner screws that hold some diaphragm levers but i probaly don't need to unscrew them anyway, it's the outer screws (bayonet mount) that i need to unscrew first. And they're too tight :/ i'm starting to wear out the shape in the screws. I've thought that maybe glueing the screwdriver with epoxy may help. Any ideas? even destructive ones... i can put new screws i don't care if I destroy them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who would like to tackle a 55mm 1.8 Fujinon EBC?
I have some fungus on the rear element that may be cleanable. Confused

HELP!!!! Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photomac wrote:

The hardest one was a Tokina 80-200 f2.8, with a separated element in the second zoom group - I had to dismantle the lens to the point where I could extract the element, then split the components with methylene chloride, then re-cement with UV-curing optical adhesive - the results look reasonable so far.

Sounds interesting ... Can you share more about how to unglue the elements and where to get the optical adhesive?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today i talked to a lens repairer and he has heard that some of his old collegues (pity is that he dead several years ago) you could 'cook' the glued lenses in oil (around 200C ) and then the lenses would seperate after some time. Then he used Canadian Tree Balsam to glue the lens element back.

Anyone knows more about this method?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hk300 wrote:
Then he used Canadian Tree Balsam to glue the lens element back.

I've heard of it. Supposedly, it only works for older lenses cemented with organic glues. I would warn against using Canadian Tree Balsam though: fungi lust love it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:
Who would like to tackle a 55mm 1.8 Fujinon EBC?
I have some fungus on the rear element that may be cleanable. Confused

HELP!!!! Laughing

please, send me a picture of your lens on:

info@cameraserviceone.com

tf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for stuck screws try neat wintergreen oil. that oil is the main ingredient of "Marvel Mystery Oil" a "Liquid Wrench" type penetrating oil; MMO works better than LW, and both those much better than WD40 imho.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm, I've got a Pangor 85-205/3.8 that's got heavy fungus and hazing on it. When I have time, I will try to take it apart? No guarantee that I can put it back together again. Anyone have a repair manual, where should I start, the front or the back?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens was sold under many brands like Vivitar I think genuine maker is Kiron.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hk300 wrote:
Today i talked to a lens repairer and he has heard that some of his old collegues (pity is that he dead several years ago) you could 'cook' the glued lenses in oil (around 200C ) and then the lenses would seperate after some time. Then he used Canadian Tree Balsam to glue the lens element back.

Yes Alex -- this is not a problem at BUT ..

the main problem is VACUUM - why?

Small article of dust or anything like that -- and you can start your heating process again

You need vacuum tunnel ..

tf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have anything to do on a Sat afternoon. I figured I would take the Pangor 85-205/3.8 apart and see if I could learn more about taking lenses apart and put them back together again. I started at the back, cleaned, ok. The the front, cleaned, ok. When I had the front off, peering into the zooming elements it was heavily fogged/fungused. Took the front zoom element group out, as suspected it's fogging due to delamanation ( I can see the rainbow lines on the edges ). I realized that when putting it back together again, the rear tube and M42 mount could be used to adapt to other longer lenses so I took all the elements out and am reusing the back as an extension tube with a manual aperture Wink Old lenses are good for something!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have a fungused prime lens that I can have (I'll pay postage, just Air-Mail will do) to practice my lens cleaning skills. Now that I've got one of Alex's lens ring spanners, I'm dangerous Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilson.c wrote:
Anyone have a fungused prime lens that I can have (I'll pay postage, just Air-Mail will do) to practice my lens cleaning skills. Now that I've got one of Alex's lens ring spanners, I'm dangerous Wink

You sound dangerous Wink

I have a couple. PM me our info. I'm in the US though is the post expense worth it?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilson.c wrote:
PM sent.

i may have some spares.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for fast tracking my learning process Smile Can you bring one out when I pickup my wishlist?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I searched for experiments a lens with a fungus etched lens, that could not be removed with normal ways.
I found my old Tokina 60-300/4.0-5.6 zoom lens - my first lens with fungus.
I rememberd, that I could not clean the fungus there.

And after I opend the front lens, I rechognized why: The front lens element is in a cell that seems like one could not open without damaging. And the fungus is inside.
Interesting thing about it: Looks like a lens group that is glued together - but I thin that lens was produced ~ 1988. I thik it was not with canada balsam, but with synthetic glue. It is my first lens where I found the fungus inside.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've cleaned and totally dissasembled three series one 70-210, first one is mine and the other two i sold, everything worked perfect (took me a while but it worked)

Also a vivitar series 1 35-80 nikon mount that worked perfect. I repaired a copule more zoom but I can´t remember them now.

Right now i have a series 1 28-90 that is only bolts and pieces and can even remeber how to put everything back togheter (focusing helicoid was broken and I am waiting to get hold of another one to repair it) and is only collecting dust on my desk.

My first zoom was a nikon 28-70 AF, it is istill in the drawer, never managed to put the helicoid back again, maybe i will give it a go again now that I have more experience.

I think that fungus between glued elements i the only thing that cant be repaired relatively easy at home.