Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ultra-Micro-NIKKOR 55/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:58 pm    Post subject: Ultra-Micro-NIKKOR 55/2 Reply with quote

Some pictures are attached.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are those SOOC or processed?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
Are those SOOC or processed?

Yes, the colors are corrected in the editor on each image. Images are obtained from RAW. The lens covers a circle with a diameter of 12 mm. Outside of it, the sharpness gradually decreases. Not very applicable for a full frame. Its fate is the APS-C format. Works well at close range up to about 2.5 meters.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colors look fantastic. I checked on ebay and this is an expensive lens.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
The colors look fantastic. I checked on ebay and this is an expensive lens.

I made two RAW files for you. If the links don't open, let me know. All the cameras and lenses do not accurately convey the color.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G_rB9h5PkIqCDuyiOTOn2HXZJkqdG68c/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JsNZofSLrYqv1LAZ81E_gAqFqDSvekZW/view?usp=sharing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice IQ!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. I have an UMN 165mm f4, which does cover FF and has a longer working distance, but it is not optimized for infinity focus. Works well up to distances of about 5 meters.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
Very nice. I have an UMN 165mm f4, which does cover FF and has a longer working distance, but it is not optimized for infinity focus. Works well up to distances of about 5 meters.

According to RED BOOK NIKKOR, the UMN series was not calculated towards infinity. What do you do with such heavy optics and where can I see your pictures ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens was for very large circuit designs, and is optimized for a reproduction ratio of 1:40, or 1:20 with an axillary front element group, which is a comfortable distance for midrange subjects. It also does quite well close up. I have not tried it at macro distances. It is heavy but not unusable. I have an adapter for Nikon F mount custom made for Michio Akiyama of the Red Book. He had an extra. So I mount it on a Nikon F to Sony Emacro focusing helicoid, with an extension ring if I need to get closer.

Here is a link to an album I have online. I find the lens spectacularly clear, sharp and free of distortion, with interesting bokeh.

https://toby-marshall.com/galleries/bokeh-tales/ultra-micro-nikkor-165mm-f4-lens/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
This lens was for very large circuit designs, and is optimized for a reproduction ratio of 1:40, or 1:20 with an axillary front element group, which is a comfortable distance for midrange subjects. It also does quite well close up. I have not tried it at macro distances. It is heavy but not unusable. I have an adapter for Nikon F mount custom made for Michio Akiyama of the Red Book. He had an extra. So I mount it on a Nikon F to Sony Emacro focusing helicoid, with an extension ring if I need to get closer.

Here is a link to an album I have online. I find the lens spectacularly clear, sharp and free of distortion, with interesting bokeh.

https://toby-marshall.com/galleries/bokeh-tales/ultra-micro-nikkor-165mm-f4-lens/

"with interesting bokeh" - you words.
I have not observed such bokeh on optics at all. I assume that the lens designer did not care about infinity, the course of the rays at a certain distance was curved and different wavelengths of the spectrum did not gather close.this and a number of other aberrations created a unique magic blur outside of focus. In other words, this major drawback of this lens scheme was its advantage.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLB! wrote:
kymarto wrote:

"with interesting bokeh" - you words.
I have not observed such bokeh on optics at all. I assume that the lens designer did not care about infinity, the course of the rays at a certain distance was curved and different wavelengths of the spectrum did not gather close.this and a number of other aberrations created a unique magic blur outside of focus. In other words, this major drawback of this lens scheme was its advantage.

Thank you for your kindly provided link. I was impressed by the pictures of flowers and, oddly enough, the end of an ordinary hose on a support.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to bokeh: it is not as smooth as with lenses like the Apo El Nikkor or the Apo Lanthar, but it also does not have the bright outer rings of spherical aberration overcorrection of many designs. I find it very pleasant.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
As to bokeh: it is not as smooth as with lenses like the Apo El Nikkor or the Apo Lanthar, but it also does not have the bright outer rings of spherical aberration overcorrection of many designs. I find it very pleasant.

The remark is fair, I also see some imperfection of the UMN bokeh. For me, the aperture of a good UMN bokeh is set to a number no more than 2.8 or less. Its contrast is quite sufficient. Soft diffused light or cloudy weather is not a hindrance for the lens. In the deep forest, in the semi-darkness, it works perfectly. I think in the lens are great varieties of glass.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a fan of very smooth bokeh. I have never shot the lens stopped down. It is true that the image circle is larger one stop down, but mine is already sufficient for FF. They perform best wide open. My lens is already very “stopped down“ wide open, as the front diameter is 82mm, which would normally be f2. 0 if all the glass were used.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
I am not a fan of very smooth bokeh. I have never shot the lens stopped down. It is true that the image circle is larger one stop down, but mine is already sufficient for FF. They perform best wide open. My lens is already very “stopped down“ wide open, as the front diameter is 82mm, which would normally be f2. 0 if all the glass were used.

Well. I see confusion in the concept of bokeh and here on this forum there is no agreement. For today, everyone interprets in their own way. Is this picture smooth bokeh or not smooth ?