Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Troubles at Leica...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Troubles at Leica... Reply with quote

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122152103387739231.html?mod=yahoo_hs&ru=yahoo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubles at Leica... Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122152103387739231.html?mod=yahoo_hs&ru=yahoo

Thanks for posting... nice article...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very sad commentary on today's business models in some ways. I do hope Leica survives since they (with Zeiss) set so many standards without which the Canon/Nikon types would degrade for profit.

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice story Nesster thanks for posting it.
I did not really understand that Leica had such trouble.
I always thought that the other products in the company carried the cameras but, not to this extent.
That fact is not mentioned directly in this story.
It can be deducted from the losses that the cameras are taking.
The M8 really should have a lower price point to be successfully sold in larger share to DSLR's.
Surely the new micro 4/3 or similar products is not going to erase it's market share.
It will put some more pressure on it however.
Let us just see what happens.
I would love an M8 but it is too flawed for the price asked.
Better to stay with film Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:

I always thought that the other products in the company carried the cameras but, not to this extent.
That fact is not mentioned directly in this story.

There are no other products in the company, an haven't been for the past two decades - the camera branch got split off in 1986, and has been entirely separate, with frequently changing shareholders, since the early nineties.

Sevo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am uniformed Embarassed

I assumed that that all products Leica where still the same company.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually they were very close to filing a couple of years ago and that would have been the end.

patrickh