Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

TOYO/MAKINON
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: TOYO/MAKINON Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310284802512&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:FR:1123

Interesting lens because this lens is made and designed by Makinon made but sold under another manufacturer name : toyo

Again and again what are the unknown links beetween japanese manufacturer ??

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makina has a well established history as a manufacturer but I can find little history for Toyo. Was Toyo/TOU Five Star just a trading company name?

Very interesting lens with the zoom at front and focus at rear. Perhaps a vari-focal and not a true zoom? I've never seen one of these.

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
Makina has a well established history as a manufacturer but I can find little history for Toyo. Was Toyo/TOU Five Star just a trading company name?

Very interesting lens with the zoom at front and focus at rear. Perhaps a vari-focal and not a true zoom? I've never seen one of these.

Bill

Makinon made the first 28/80 (just before the tokina 28/85)

It was Varifocal (tokina = true zoom) + 3.5 (tokina = f4) opening

They also made at the same time a 35/105 varifocal 3.5
based on same design/look

Quality was good except distortion which was really too hig

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was (and still might be for all I know) a Toyo corporation that made large format cameras and accessories, obviously affiliated with Topcon. But it does not sound too likely that this is the same, the name may just as well have been grabbed by some smaller distributor in a country where Toyo was not represented.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading a relationship into similar names can be hazardous. As far as I know there is no common ownership/management among General Dynamics, General Electric, General Mills, General Motors, General Tire and so on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the Camerapedia disambiguation page on Toyo. Fascinating stuff -- many Toyos clutter the landscape. I have read elsewhere that TOU is the distribution firm Toyo Optics USA and has no connexion to the Toyo that makes LF cams. (I lusted after a Toyo Field Cam after first reading about it in a Whole Earth Catalog many eons ago.) BTW I own(ed) two TOU 28/2.8's in PK mount (I sold the PK-M and kept the PK-A) and a 200/4.5 in PK-M. All are decent enough lenses. Someone else thought the PK-M 28/2.8 was worthwhile, since they paid US$35 for it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: TOYO/MAKINON Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
... Again and again what are the unknown links between Japanese manufacturer ?? ...

Keiretsu