Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Topman MC 28mm/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Topman MC 28mm/2.8 Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of this lens?
Bought it from eBAY.co.uk. Seller was a genuine camerashop with a local shop somewhere in England.

For me this resembles a bit Hanimex 28mm/2.8.

Photos were taken at my school with EOS30D with 50mm/1.8II

For Asashi.P/F2.8

Splits into two pieces:

One blade is a bit lazy, but it doesn't affect on anything

Bokeh test, shot F/2.8 with a bit sharpening.

This was my second of the two 28mm/2.8 M42 lenses I bought. First one was called SIRIUS MC but I wasn't satisfied with its sharpness at F2.8.
This one is a tad bit soft wide open but for me it was sharp enough.
Thanks for looking!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never, looks you got a rare bird.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Topman MC 28mm/2.8 Reply with quote

Jekku wrote:
Has anyone heard of this lens?

Topman was a company specialized in tripod which bought the former Miranda factory

They came in the lens business in 1980
They sold their lenses mainly under their own trade mark + Toshiba/Tosner trademark
Hanimex (as well as rony..) bought lenses from topman
The 35/70 f3.5 from hanimex (the HANIMEXceptionnel as said the french ads) was a Topman lens

ALL topman lenses have an interchangeable mount (topman standard) .
The Topman mount was not truly universal but specific to the opening of the lens : ie ; it was a CANON 2.8 mount , a CANON 4.5 mount, a Olympus 2.8 mount...)
In your picture, we can clearly see the 2.8 interchangeable mount
THe topman lenses were generally of good/very good quality

Last edited by PBFACTS on Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PBFACTS for sharing the info.

I thought TOPMAN is just the fashion label ! Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks PBFACTS!

Never thought that I bought a good lens. I was more trying to get as cheap as possible and to test whether I'm comfortable with manual focusing.

Now that I've used this lens for a month or two I can say I've come to terms with MF, although I miss AF from time to time. This lens rarely comes off from my camera. And if it does it's only for a short period of time for using the EF50/1.8II.
I was actually surprised of the quality this lens can make. Paid about 30€ inc. shipping, too much?

I'll post a sample picture straight out of the camera asap.

Oh, and my equipment has grown with a splitscreen/microprism focusing screen and a Tenpa viewfinder(which I'm still waiting to arrive). Next stop is to get a superwide prime or zoom, less than 20mm, and perhaps a macro. Any suggestions for those? As for the superwide, I'd like to have an apeture of 3.5 or bigger(smaller?), preferrably 2.8 and same goes with the macro.