Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Topcon R-Topcor 5.6/300
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Topcon R-Topcor 5.6/300 Reply with quote

I did a search and found a thread on RE-Topcor, but not R-Topcor, so here is mine. When I first received this lens it had issues, including fungus. I used it briefly on a couple of occasions just to test and wasn't impressed with the results. I sent it off to Marc Jensen for CLA because I didn't think it had much value as it was. I have just yesterday given it the first real shoot. WHile it doesn't impress me as razor sharp, I think it is acceptable for the focal length and I have no issues with the bokeh or colors; it really performed better than I had anticipated. I shot most if not all at wide open f/5.6 100ISO using NEX-5N. Vertical images were cropped from horizontal. Level adjustments were made, but no added sharpening. - One of very few Topcor lenses still cheap -

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You always seem to get the best out of the tele lenses with your Dock/ Pier environment bird pics. Focus is precise and the bokeh is pleasing Very Happy Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My R 300/5.6 is also not as sharp as I'd like, I think they put more effort into getting the R 300/2.8 sharp.
The R 135/3.5 and R 200/4 I that it have are as sharp as I'll ever need, there is lots of sharpness headroom on my A7r.
Great shots woodrim, thanks for the post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the bokeh in the bird shots, awesome photos as always. Add a pic of then lens if you get a chance.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all. I guess I've been spoiled by my other lenses when it comes to sharpness. The focus fall-off is more sudden that I expected for f/5.6, but probably because of my lack of experience with long lenses. However, the one mirror lens I have at 300mm is much worse. The bokeh was a nice surprise.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenetik wrote:
I love the bokeh in the bird shots, awesome photos as always. Add a pic of then lens if you get a chance.

+1 this one really rocks:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots Woodrim, I think the RE version may be marginally sharper wide open but have not used it in a while so that`s from memory really.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind seeing some shots from the RE.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One from today in the back yard. Sweethearts up high. Turkey vulchers. This usually means there is something dead nearby, or maybe I'm not looking healthy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do seem to be looking your way Very Happy , Great shots from a great lens it seems.I also like #4 as well, the lone gull or odd one out.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love the second one. The OOF bird in the background looks like a shadow or a reflection of the first. They all look plenty sharp to me. You certainly live in a photogenic part of the world and show it off to its best advantage!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The R and RE versions of the 300/5.6 are the same optics. But the R version is 10 to 50 times more common.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Shriver wrote:
The R and RE versions of the 300/5.6 are the same optics. But the R version is 10 to 50 times more common.

I presume you mean same formula, but do you think they may have refined it to be a tad sharper?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good shots woodrim. Seems a nice lens. But like you say, not razor sharp (wide open). Does it get much better stopped down to F8?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some, of course, but not much.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlphaL, the lens seems to be one of the very few duds Topcon produced, out of the 3-4 samples on this site, they all seem to be the same, not at all like my R 135/3.5 and R 200/4, which are very sharp wide open.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm going to try a 2nd copy to see if it's any better, it's well used vs my first copy which is mint, if it's not sharper I'll open it up and see if I can shim some elements and maybe make it sharper.
The 2nd copy is the same. Too bad, I don't really want a 300/2.8, it's not exactly small.
The only other lenses I really want from Topcor is the R 135/2 and the RE 25 in black.

Last edited by Lightshow on Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:45 am    Post subject: Topcoat 300/5.6 Reply with quote

I've got both the R. Topcor and RE. Auto-Topcor 300/5.6 lenses, but the Tamron 54B 300/5.6 is so fantastic I use it instead. A good generation newer, and fantastic close-up performance.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you post some pics from the Re 300/5.6?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern Photography reviewed the R. Topcor 30/5.6 in April 1962, center sharpness was only "good", the worst results of the 7 different Topcors they reviewed. The 300/2.8 was "very good" in the center from f/4 to f/8. Neither was very great in the corners.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a lens that I use much, but this past weekend I took it along in case I decided to stop by the swamp. I decided to stop by the swamp. All were taken at f/5.6 using NEX-5N...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, great results you got!! Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
wow, great results you got!! Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

Thanks, Klaus. The light was good and it made for easier focusing.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The serial #'s for my 2 lenses are 701234, 701364, anyone else that has an R 30cm f 5.6 please post your serial and how sharp it is, especially if yours is razor sharp because I'd love to know if there are better copies out there, cuz I want one.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
The serial #'s for my 2 lenses are 701234, 701364, anyone else that has an R 30cm f 5.6 please post your serial and how sharp it is, especially if yours is razor sharp because I'd love to know if there are better copies out there, cuz I want one.

I've got 701383; however my attempt to repair the aperture blades resulted in a mess. Unfortunately I'm unable to restore the lens into a usable condition not even without the blades. After looking at these prictures I regret it.....