Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Topcon Lenses: shooting samples
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Topcon Lenses: shooting samples Reply with quote

Thanks to Andy I bought some very very cheap Topcon lenses: 35/2.8 and 135 3.5.

I expected some nice quality from them, I heard they were regarded by many pro shooters back in the 60-70 (US Navy included) and they deliver the goods in fact.

What amazed me were the colors and the contrast, the following shots aren't processed, just pure raw conversion from lightroom with no sharpness nor contrast curve applied.

Topcon 135/3.5

Topcon 35/2.8

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AG

What did you mount them on and how? I have the topcor 100/2.8 and the same 35 as you. They are mounted on my nikkors with an adapter made by nikon for the exakta lenses. No infinity but I too love the results I am getting.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I'm using them on the Oly e410 with an exakta adapter.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They seem to me as very sharp and with neutral colours. They are forgotten high quality lenses, that in the end of 60's were competitors to nikkors. The same about Miranda cams.

Good luck. Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Topcon Lenses: shooting samples Reply with quote

The 35/2.8 is topcor RE?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The UV lens range was consistently slower than the RE range, as well as being completely incompatible. I have had more experience with these lenses now and they are even better than Alessandro suggests.

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good results--really like the candids. seems good value/performance ratio.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seller of 35/28 Topcor RE told me that can get me a 100/2.8 or 4 and a normal 58/18. My idea would buy only if they are RE. What is the price you would pay for them?
Future Topcor addict? Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the Re Auto 100mm f/2.8 and the 58mm f/1.8 are fine lenses, especially the 100mm, that I find to be extraordinarily good.

I recently acquired the 100mm and paid about 100$ for it. The prices on eBay seem to range between $100 and $400. I would have gladly paid double the amount for it, as the lens is worth every penny! The 58mm I managed to get very cheaply, for around 30$. The usual going price for these seem to be somewhere between $50 and $100.

Some of my pictures with the 100mm:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54966739@N00/tags/topcorre100mmf28/

and with the 58mm:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54966739@N00/tags/topcorre58mmf18/

The Topcors RE lenses seem to be usually quite expensive, even considering their high quality. I think this is because the Topcon system is attractive for collectors. It had a limited time span, and well documented and relatively limited amount of lenses, bodies, and accessories. This makes it easy to collect. The pricing certainly seems to indicate that. Some rare items sell for ridiculous prices ($200 for a lens hood, anyone?)

But, still good deals can be done on the lenses, if you are patient enough, or manage to get good deals somewhere. I am a big fan of Topcor lenses, and absolutely love the look I get from them!

sami

(latest addition yesterday to the family: 135mm f/4 Macro-Topcor Smile )

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to have been a run on Topcor RE - the prices have certainly shot up in recent months and the availability has declined. Few open auctions, mainly BIN. $30 for the 58/1.8 is very low. The 58/1.4 goes for easily $300.

patrickh