Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tomioka 100mm F2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Tomioka 100mm F2.8 Reply with quote

No, I don't have this lens, I couldn't afford it. But the seller was very kind and allowed me to use his pictrues. So now everyone that has no-name 100mm lens can compare it to this Tomioka lens.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may find it by Hanimex also, maybe cheaper ??

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo: As you know, this lens is discussed in another thread or two. The Hanimex is much like the Pentor in that the focus rotation goes the opposite direction, as does the aperture ring. However, the similarities seem to outweigh the differences in my mind. Who is responsible for the overall barrel design? That leatherette focus ring with chrome rings is typical of Chinon lenses as well as the third party as mentioned.

Out of curiosity, what price did you see? A quick search just now found a Hanimex version with a much too high $189 starting bid. My Pentor cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $60. The Pentor is a superb lens and was my lens of choice in that focal range until I got the Kajejnar.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The purpose of these detailed pictures is to allow you a comparison of your no-name lenses to this real Tomioka. And not by a focus ring direction, shape and material but by the shape of elements and their retention rings, by the shape of mount and by the position of A/M switch.

According to what I saw Hanimex, Beroflex, Pentor, Porst and many others are not Tomioka.

This lens was sold for $200

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was the seller of this one.

I consider it a collectors item, the optical quality on that copy was good but not excellent. It showed some barrel distortion if I remember correctly. For sharpness I don't think that the Tomioka tele lenses are anything special.

For photographing purposes I think that at that price tag a Nikon 105 2.5 or an EBC Fujinon 100 will do a much better job. The EBC is a very good piece of glass.

At a lower pice tag the Tamron BBAR 105 2.5 was also very satisfying and cheaper. Same for the Zuiko 100 f2.8.

The T* 100 f3.5 is also amazing, but more expensive.

Minoltas and Hexanons should perform better too.

Price has in this case more to do with scarcity and condition than with optical value.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Rafa1981
First of all, thank you very much for sharing these detailed product photos and your personal experience with this lens with us. I would be most happy if you could add one or two sample shots taken with this lens, now that it's sold at a fair price. I was short of bidding on your auction, if not for its adequate price.

Quote:
For sharpness I don't think that the Tomioka tele lenses are anything special.

My personal experience is that Chinon Tomioka tried to achieve greater resolution and less contrast in their 135mm and 200mm lenses. We must not forget that these lenses were designed for film photography. Early tele lenses tended to be very contrasty at the expense of gradation and resolution, like the universal 135mm lenses built by Tokina and sold as Chinon, Rikenon, Nikkor, Mamiya, etc. in the early 1960s. Later Chinon Tomioka lenses show a "fluffy" sharpness and smoother gradation.

Pointed sharpness is only one aspect of the quality of a lens. All photos taken with a Zeiss or Leica lens that I have seen had excellent IQ, and for technical purposes they very certainly set the standard. But sometimes I like to see the world after having had a glass of wine or after having danced, and lenses are like that -- they have their personalities too.

There are several 100mm lens designs, and I would say that IQ varies within each series, perhaps only due to the lapse in time of more than forty years. Although the 100mm Fujinon is an excellent lens, I also like the shallow DOF in the Chinon Tomioka 100mm lenses. It may be accompanied with a rest of barrel distortion, as you have found out. I would have to see for myself.