Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina SZ-X 357 35-70mm 3.5-4.8 test
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:58 pm    Post subject: Tokina SZ-X 357 35-70mm 3.5-4.8 test Reply with quote

Maybe the smallest 35-70mm lens? I got it with its original box in M42 mount and took some shots on a walk.

It seems to be a bit decentered but otherwise displays reasonable image quality.

1:5 macro isn't great though. But with a macro adapter it can get closer, test shot included.

It will not replace my MD Zoom 35-70mm 3.5 macro.

Images taken with a Sony A7.

#4 MFD @35mm

#7 I just had to apply retro colors on this old beetle. Provia 400 simulation.

#9 With helicoid adapter.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How small is it compared to your MD Zoom?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without being able to pixel peep, the images look pretty good. Being very compact (but slow) I can see it’s value as a hiking lens for sunny days.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
How small is it compared to your MD Zoom?

With caps the the length is about 8cm for the Tokina and 9cm for the Minolta.

I've seen one from Sigma that might be the smallest.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Without being able to pixel peep, the images look pretty good. Being very compact (but slow) I can see it’s value as a hiking lens for sunny days.

Here is some 100% peeping at 70mm I think.

Center

Left

Right

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It OK but it seems to be not in the same ballpark as the Minolta MD 35-70/3.5 macro, right?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about size, how about this little guy. It has a good reputation. Not as good or fast as the Minolta, but much cheaper. And maybe even smaller than the Tokina.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
Talking about size, how about this little guy. It has a good reputation. Not as good or fast as the Minolta, but much cheaper. And maybe even smaller than the Tokina.

I remember playing with it, albeit quite long ago. I remember its optical performance was not too impressive. Definitely not close to the Minolta.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my SMC Pentax-A zoom 35-70mm 1:3.5-4.5 by The lens profile, on Flickr

There is also an f4 version with constant aperture, also very good

The Tamron adaptall-2 09a (3.5-4.5) and 17a (3.5 constant) are also nice and a bit more bulky.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:

Phalbert wrote:

I've been looking for one to use on my OM-10. On film it looks great but it's not necessarily the same performance on digital.

D1N0 wrote:

The Tamron adaptall-2 09a (3.5-4.5) and 17a (3.5 constant) are also nice and a bit more bulky.

Looks pretty good!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

Good looking lens, never tried it.