Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina RMC 17/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Tokina RMC 17/3.5 Reply with quote

Today arrived my "brand new" lens... in MINT condition Wink
a couple of photos compared with Nikkor 28/3.5 Ai-S with my brand new Wink Nikon D90
later I'll post some photos made with it

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! You will like it for sure.
I've got the Vivitar version of this lens and it's even usable on a 5D!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Roman!

The condition of the lens looks very nice.
Like Carsten, I also had the Vivitar version some years ago, but I´m not sure it was OK because the results were poor on my D50. Probably de-centered or something like that, I don´t know.

I´m looking forward to sample pictures and a comparison with the 28mm F3,5 Nikkor, of course especially with regard to the Nikkor Wink My copy still hasn´t arrived yet.

Regards,

Benedikt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenediktW wrote:
Like Carsten, I also had the Vivitar version some years ago, but I´m not sure it was OK because the results were poor on my D50. Probably de-centered or something like that, I don´t know.

Probably.
Give me some time, I can shoot and upload some pictures taken with the Viv on my 5D.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested to see how it performs against the wide end of your Nikkor 18-105 AFS zoom. My copy was certainly no better than the wide end of the Nikkor 18-55 AFS VR and it was definitely outperformed by the Sigma 10-20/4-5.6 at 17 mm.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope i'll get the samples soon... I can't do much due to snowing
as far as 18-105 goes... hehe I sold it (to get more MF lenses Wink ), I was disgusted by it's plasticy fell Laughing planning to get 35/1.8

Last edited by NikonD on Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikonD wrote:

as far as 18-105... hehe I sold it (to get more MF lenses Wink ), I was disgusted by it's plasticy fell Laughing planning to get 35/1.8

The 35/1.8 is also plastic ! But very nice ! I'm planning to compare it with the 35/2 AIs when I get the time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not as plastic as 18-105 Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flare and ghosting, both @ F8

tokina 17/3.5 vs. nikkor 28/3.5... not a fair comparison

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, they both look very nice indeed!

I´m surprised of the Tokina´s sharpness and contrast. My Vivitar copy wasn´t nearly as good!
The flare of course is hefty, but I think it even contributes to the picture, it´s a nice analogue flare, not a cheap effect. Perhaps it´s annoying in some pictures, but here, it enhances the image of a nice cold and sunny morning.

The Nikkor on the other hand looks completely immune against flare, the overall picture quality is very nice as well.

Could you perhaps show a little 1:1 pixel size crop?

Thanks and greetings

Benedikt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are some crops:
photo taken @ F8
all I can say is that this lens is soft at 3.5 and much better at 5.6, its perfect at f8 and as far as I can see, there is minimal CA to none at f8... definitely a keeper Smile I like the flare, but hood is required... all I need now is a polarizer Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great results - that's why I have two of them...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenediktW wrote:
I´m surprised of the Tokina´s sharpness and contrast. My Vivitar copy wasn´t nearly as good!

As you said, Benedikt, your copy wasn't nearly as good.

You can find excellent copies of the Vivitar 3.5/17.

I am quite satisfied with mine, even on the 5D:

Shot some minutes ago, at f/3.5 (wide open)

And here two crops (no PP):

And this one was taken at f/5.6:

Crops (again no PP):

And as you can see, there were no easy conditions for the lens.

Vignetting is amazingly light for a 17mm on a digital fullframe sensor,

sharpness and contrast are pretty good and even the distortion is acceptable. I just need to find a hood that does not vignette. Wink

EDIT: Hey, I just saw, this was my post #10.000. Wow, makes me kind of proud. First time I haver ever reached that number. Very Happy

Last edited by LucisPictor on Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:44 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my tokina is softer than yours at 3.5...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Carsten:

Yes, that´s exactly what I meant. I should give it a second chance!
Well, I was even diappointed of the beautiful and tank-like built Tokina AF 17mm F3,5. It was pretty expensive, and wasn´t very nice at all.

Congrats to the 10.000 by the way. A further proof of this being a very nice, interesting and friendly forum. One of very few!

@Roman:

Perhaps it´s because of the lower pixel density on the 5D. Oh, I like full frame so much.

Regards,
Benedikt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5D has not only a great pixel pitch, it also has a "weaker" AA filter.
Generally this causes sharper images, but sometimes this produces moirées.