Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina ATX SD 80 200 2.8 FD mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aspen wrote:
Balsam glue can be found on the internet, and there are also new glass adhesives.

it is possible to re-glue together the two elements ???
glue is really between the two surface or is it only on the sides ?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nelson wrote:
aspen wrote:
Balsam glue can be found on the internet, and there are also new glass adhesives.

it is possible to re-glue together the two elements ???
glue is really between the two surface or is it only on the sides ?

The glue is between the two surfaces. Yes, you can re-glue, and I would think you should re-glue. It is important to reassemble the two pieces of glass, together, the way that they were, originally. And then, to keep them from moving even slightly, they need to be "cemented". Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy boils the lens in water (or at least heats the water high)..nice photos.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?65756-One-way-to-fix-lens-separation

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes its not that hard at all. many roads lead to one place Wink
my thought are just to do it all in a very dust free environment and depends on the method of cementing but use very little adhesive to only very so slightly cover the bonding area of the elements.

and about cleaning the old adhesive - after the elements are seperated after you heat then those elements are easily cleaned with regular cleaning solution you might use to clean your lenses and no sign of the old adhesive is left what so ever.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would like some help
to explain me where get the glue and how and where put it
....or someone than can do the job ?

ps : today i receive another one Tokina ATX 80-200 2.8 but this one in AF.... looks fine Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Nelson,
You might want to google "optical resins", "Optical adhesives", and find a dealer that you're comfortable with buying from. I would stray away from Canadian Balsam, unless you want to be old school traditional. There are a number of kinds of epoxy resins which are made for cementing lenses. The epoxies are mostly two resins that when combined together (mix just before applying) will hold, even in higher temperatures (unlike Canadian Balsam).
The most important step is absolutely cleaning the surfaces of the lens. Use a solvent (paint thinner) if necessary. Wipe it with acetone. But it must be clean and dry too.
Before you separate the lenses mark the sides of the two elements with a permanent marker. Just draw a single line vertical, up and down, so you can put it back that way.
When the lenses are CLEAN and you have your adhesive ready, drop a few drops in the middle of the bottom lens. Have the lens so that the concave one is on the bottom, like a bowl.
Place the other lens on top and apply some pressure with your finger or a pencil eraser(IN the CENTER of the lens). You will want to make some small "twists" back and forth to get any air bubbles out.
Make sure your lines are lined up on the side.
It should cure within 24 hours (I'M guessing that you get the kind that does...some cure faster...some cure by UV light)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nelson,

I was wondering if you were able to make any more progress on fixing the lens haze. I'm in a similar situation with the same lens and was curious to know if you found a way to remove the haze.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I had few time for this item during last weeks.

Can anyone give me a like on ebay or anywhere else for the optical cement/glue ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you remove the front element?

I have this lens and cannot figure out how to disassemble it from the front. There appears to be a single set screw in the front, but I had no luck after removing it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have instructions on how to remove the front element?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry
I did not find time to answer

just remove the 3 screws on side of the front of the lens
then with a wrench, unscrew the front element

after that, always with the wrench, remove the other internal elements

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you elaborate? I don't see 3 screws.

There is only one set screw that is on the front of the barrel. The "nameplate" on the front of the lens does not appear to pop off to allow a spanner in to remove the lens.

If you have pictures or more detailed instructions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put up some pictures of my lens and the only 1 screw I can see here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1248317.html#1248317

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will try saturday.

don't hesitate to send me a MP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a video to explain quickly the disassembly of the front pf my lens
just let me put the video on Youtube

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ0XcErf9OE

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry

This was (is) on stand by

I never found this "optical glue"
Can seomeone give me an url or an ebay seller link ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am selling my ATX SD autofocus, so i would like to fnish fixing my MF copy.
I am still looking a way to get some optical cement/glue
Some URLs guys ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn´t find optical UV curing glue on Ebay.

Here are manufacturer websites:
http://www.norlandprod.com/UVdefault.html
http://www.optical-cement.com/

At Edmund Optics you can buy those Norland glue.