Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina ATX 80~200 2.8 AIS manual focus
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Tokina ATX 80~200 2.8 AIS manual focus Reply with quote

motorized Nikon F2AS
Tokina ATX 80~200 2.8 AIS
Fuji 100 ISO colour slide
2.8 @ about 1/60th

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shot. What was your zoom setting? I ask because you were shooting at 1/60, so if zoomed out to 200mm, this would be a remarkabe shot at 1/60 unless you were using some sort of support?

I don't own the AT-X 80-200, but I do own a copy of the AT-X 100-300/4 SD, and it is a remarkably good lens. Probably my sharpest up-to-300mm zoom lens. In fact, it is so sharp, it rivals my best 300mm primes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch,
Thanks for the comment.
I was shooting at 200 mm because I was across the street from my subject. And yes, I was shooting handheld, as I do virtually all the time.
I have a tripod somewhere in the trunk of my car, but except as a holder for a coffee cup or a place to park my gloves in the winter so I don't lose them in the snow, I can't imagine what else I'd use it for.
"A street photographer with a tripod is like a cello player in a marching band". Words to live by.
Robert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, but a monopod can be quite a bit less obtrusive. As can just some place to brace oneself for the shot.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When shooting on the street I almost never travel light: Three rangefinders plus an SLR with a 180 for reach, or three SLRs often with zooms.
so I prefer not to carry any more baggage. I know the usual tricks for minimizing camera shake shooting handheld or by using convenient structures as braces, and employ them as necessary.
Robert